Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steven Alzate departs

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He'll end up playing in the Premier League within the next 5 years. I suspect his career trajectory will be Gyokeres-ish - without hitting that sort of height. A permanent move will do him good, he was never going to fully develop here but someone is going to get an absolute bargain when they sign him.
Leeds would be a good fit, they would adore him.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One of my favourite players, but too inconsistent. He played the holding midfield role in a 1-1 draw against Chelsea in January 2022 and looked an absolute world-beater. Then in the next game, at Leicester, he was anonymous and was taken off.

He had the perfect skill set for Potter in his ability and willingness to take the ball in very tight situations and I assumed that De Zerbi would absolutely love him when he came back from loan, but sadly it didn't happen.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
He'll end up playing in the Premier League within the next 5 years. I suspect his career trajectory will be Gyokeres-ish - without hitting that sort of height. A permanent move will do him good, he was never going to fully develop here but someone is going to get an absolute bargain when they sign him.
We'll see. Steven is 25 and turning 26 in September, if he's going to have a career trajectory like Viktor (who is only a few months older), he's going to have to hurry up... and do a lot better than the average/good performances he's had in Belgium.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
We'll see. Steven is 25 and turning 26 in September, if he's going to have a career trajectory like Viktor (who is only a few months older), he's going to have to hurry up... and do a lot better than the average/good performances he's had in Belgium.
The main variable is his attitude I think. It's all conjecture, but I would assume Gyokeres' rise has been down to hard work and getting himself where he wants to be. If Alzate has a similar drive to succeed then I think he will. Personally, I thought he showed enough in his appearances for us that he has the talent. The only question mark for me would be whether he has the mentality and the real desire to succeed, and to what extent. Talent wise I don't think there's a problem.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
I'm confused. If he's not back in the Prem by the time he's 30 then i'm not sure how that works. Besides Gyokores plays in Portugal.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Could end up at Ipswich this season, they need a few and have a small budget for transfers so have to be looking at frees.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Fascinated by this thread. A tidy footballer who rarely made the slightest difference when he played. A 10 yd passer who couldn't impose himself on a game and frankly made us look like we only had 10 men on the pitch. The only rewriting of history is that he was ever going to make it here. Maybe he never felt part of things either. Has quick feet and having matured, I see no reason why he shouldn't fulfil his early potential under a coach who can get the best from him. That may be in the Premier League or Championship, a decent career with whoever. Wish him well, but his last couple of years with Albion have been a waste for the club. A new manager taking a look would just prolong that waste of resource. If he wants to, he really needs to go to a club that embraces him and can use his strengths.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just felt he was unlucky to be played out of position FB and WB so often. Sure he would love to have got same number of games in CM as some of our foreign players.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
Yeah it's important.

But nothing has ever been reported about him having a bad attitude. Just your personal observation because he has some mates who wear a chain?
I'm happy to be corrected for my foolish "personal observations", except a player most people seem to rate has just been let go... a bit unusual.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When I suggested the same I was shot down!
Well, some of us asked for evidence, and all we got was an allusion to a tiara. What is the evidence? Show it and we can accept it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm happy to be corrected for my foolish "personal observations", except a player most people seem to rate has just been let go... a bit unusual.
We let Gyökeres go. There is nothing unusual about promising players not making the cut.

I'm not sure people in general 'rate' Alzate as such, although those that do are bound to post. They simply say he has played some decent games for us and are sad he's gone. I though he may have had potential. Nothing more than that. I would have liked to have seen more of him. But....so it goes.

It doesn't always have to be 'good riddance' when the club decides to not renew a contract, and fond positivity isn't a sin.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now you've lost me
Someone posted that he had been photo'd wearing a tiara (something like that, anyway). I assumed it was a snide joke, but I did look it up. Found nothing.

Edit:

1717691058699.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here