Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steven Alzate departs

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He has been unlucky here, hope he has better luck at his next club, he has ability.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
It's just out of the whole thread you're the only one suggesting this. He seemed pretty amenable and attitude free to me.
I’m happy to be proven wrong. Just a theory I guess. He could’ve done a better job than Dahoud (and saved a ton of money) so why was he loaned out?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Didn't play for RDZ - was out on loan when de Zerbi arrived, and stayed on loan until after RDZ left.
Sure he played on the US tour, RdZ sung his praises one week and we loaned him out within 2 weeks, I always wondered what Alzate had done in that 2 weeks :oops:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sure he played on the US tour, RdZ sung his praises one week and we loaned him out within 2 weeks, I always wondered what Alzate had done in that 2 weeks :oops:
Oh, fair enough - I wasn't considering friendlies, but good point.

De Zerbi wanted Dahoud
Interesting - very plausible!

Overall it's a shame the lad's move to West Brom. on loan was cocked up - that might have given him a much higher profile.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Good luck to him and thanks for the efforts and contributions. Tidy player in there, who I think could do a good job for many teams in the lower PL/upper Championship or anywhere across Europe.

Bit sad to see him go, especially with Dahoud still on the books, but hopeful for an upgrade.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The "cartel" entourage was news to me, not sure what to make of it. Always thought he put a shift in and tidy with the ball at his feet. A shame he couldn't kick on to the next level, so nearly there.

Surprised they let the contract run down, he must have been worth at least a few servings of fish and chips last summer window.
You reckon? have you seen the price of a large cod and chips now?

Joking apart, l'll always remember him for scoring the only goal of the game, in a win at Anfield just after the pandemic.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We've now progressed and I can see him ending up as a Leeds signing.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He never played under RDZ (not sure he was even on the US tour) as he was out on loan for both seasons.

Always seemed to have a decent attitude and hopefully he’ll have a good career elsewhere. Scored a winner at Anfield too, which not many others have done for us. His debut against Newcastle was a great performance too.
He started against Brentford and came on as a sub against Chelsea in the US last summer. Also came on as a sub against Rayo Vallecano and was an unused sub against Luton before heading back out on loan.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That Chelsea game always sticks in my mind in regards to Alzate. I think Biss was still here and he was injured, Alzate stepped in and was brilliant. Always thought there was a decent player in there if the right manager could find a system which suited. But maybe he’s just not quite good enough for where we are now. Would have been handy to have him last season, but if we invest in the midfield this summer then more bench time for him would have been likely.
Agree with all this.

In terms of the future, my money is on him turning up at Ipswich, Stains or Leicester. He has proved he is EPL level even if he is not quite up to Albion standards.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m happy to be proven wrong. Just a theory I guess. He could’ve done a better job than Dahoud (and saved a ton of money) so why was he loaned out?
You’d have to ask RDZ I guess, he would surely have had SA at his disposal had he wanted him.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I always thought he was a victim of his own versatility. That meant that he ended up being played wherever there was a gap to be filled rather than really nailing down one position- also meant that he was a good option on the bench as he could cover so many roles

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
First I’ve ever heard about this. Or is it just a case of “son of immigrants who grew up in London has friends”?

His attitude always seemed pretty spot on to me. He just isn’t quite good enough to be a top half Prem player. I wish him well, had a few cracking games for us (Newcastle & Liverpool away) so gutted it hasn’t worked out for him. He’ll be a great pick-up for someone.
I know one of his friends. Definitely not in a cartel! Just a normal lad from Colombian parents bought up in London, just like Steven himself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here