Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Harper - signs on a month's loan

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am actually quite surprised about this. I would never had said that the isses we have are down to the goal keeper, in fact as dissapointed as I was at Millwall, without Casper's efforts we would have been dead and buried before half time . I would have thought a midfielder who could receive the ball and play it forward was a pre-requisite.

A goalie is only as good as the four or five directly infront of him.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I think Gus is trying to shake it up and always looking to improve the side, this is just part of that process, he always wanted competition its down to Casper and Brez to work hard and take the jersey back.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The only surprise is that he was prepared to come all the way down here to get some games in. Casper has no real competition for his place. Harper is a pretty good goalie and unlucky not to be playing regular football in the Premier League. Looking forward to tonight - bit more quality in the team.3 points and we are really back in the hunt.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I am actually quite surprised about this. I would never had said that the isses we have are down to the goal keeper, in fact as dissapointed as I was at Millwall, without Casper's efforts we would have been dead and buried before half time . I would have thought a midfielder who could receive the ball and play it forward was a pre-requisite.

its true what you say about a keeper being as good as the 4 in front of him, but when they are broken, the bloke between the sticks needs to be excellent.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

I see your point and as i said in an earlier post there are at least 3 other players as much at fault as him - but last year our strength was built on keeping teams deep and forcing them to shoor from 20 -25 yards in many cases. If they did come through the defence then casper is a good 1 on 1 shot stopper and very comfortable on the ball. What we've found this year is that shots from 20-25 yards at this level are more likely to have power/be on target. many clubs have worked out that cutting in and shooting across our keeper has high success rates. The questions comes as to whether we will miss his comfort on the ball or if Harper can do that too.

I feel for casper and I hope he can get himself back together as he seems genuinely committed, admits to worrying about things (something that was missing from serial misfiring keepers like Henderson and Smith) and working to improve his game.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
You need to have confidence in a player. Sadly, the players, staff and supporters have lost confidence in Casper. The last thing you want is a back four who have no faith in their goalie. Is our recent run of form solely down to Casper? Of course not. But, as long as the status quo remains as it is we are going to be seriously vulnerable defensively. Casper needs to get out of the firing line.
So, an experienced player comes in. He won't be sensational but he'll steady the ship, and that's exactly what we need.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The post before you mentioned status quo. is that the problem

was Rust just no good at the 12 bar blues. Did Ormerod know the 5th Chord?

Ormerod was a King of ROCK that made him fearless in front of goal. Is he still playing at Dorchester or am I still of the pace, he is in fact now a regular at Monsters of Rock :rock:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So you actually HATE an Albion player do you - on the basis of them failing to attain your personal standards? I honestly think you're in serious need of professional help. ???

Agreed!

CA always come across as a nice guy and has done a sterling job in goal for us since his arrival.

You'd think we were bottom of the table and leaked 40 goals in 5 games the way some people speak of him.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I do like the fact that Gus is signing players who have got out of this league automatically in the past couple of seasons (Jara with West Brom and Harper with the toon). Really gives some "been there done that" know how which the squad needs at the moment to see us through this dip in form.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
what a signing, just a shame we couldnt have had him just over 2 months ago, could have 4-6 points more perhaps!?

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
My only concern tonight is how certain the back 4 will be with Harper not having trained with them to pass back to him and play our style. He will have to be very loud in his shouts when he is and isn't coming to collect crosses etc.

Good signing and needed but just concern with it being so close to a match

Judging by the photo on official site, he has been training as is sweaty and has dirty gloves, or that may just be the geordie look

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Expecting an aerial bombardment tonight (Alardyce style). Guessing that Gus rates Harper to be a safer pair of hands for the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here