Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Harper - signs on a month's loan

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
As pleased as I am at signing a good player, I have to admit I am a little surprised at Kasper being dropped and seemingly blamed for leaking goals. I thought the midfield was the issue.

He's always had wobbly moments (most keepers do) but he's been a concern of late. 3 of the last 4 goals he conceded have been almost identical - player comes inside from the left and shoots across him into the bottom right corner. You don't need to be a great coach to spot a likely weakness.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Without really knowing too much about the way Harper plays, I presume that he is more confident in coming out for crosses than Ankergren. It is unlikely that he would be worse at this aspect of goalkeeping anyway. So for that alone I think this signing makes sense, we have struggled at set pieces all season and do lack a bit of height all through the side. One month seems strange but I presume it is with a view to a longer deal. If we sign a bigger, stronger and quicker left back I think we will be well set. After all whatever we think about our attacking football last season's success was built on the back of a very strong defence, something we have not had this season.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Im.surprised he starts tonight usually takes longer than 24hours.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
It will be interesting to see how he is with the ball at his feet, there is no way we can play against West Ham by hoofing it up to CMS so Im assuming even more (than usual) of our play will have to come from the back.

Casper makes some fantastic saves on a regular basis, but an almost equal amount of mistakes this season...so he's brought this on himself really.

Yet another example of Gus being in the know and using his reputation and influence to steal good players away from top sides. We should never doubt him.

I wonder if Brezovan or Poke will go out on loan now?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
How is Poke doing of late? Is Harper here to help get Poke into the team (i.e. he's nearly there but needs some experience guidance for the next month)?

I assume Brez has not been playing but Poke has?

I'm going from a point of ignorance here as I know nothing of Poke.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm amazed that he will go straight in to be honest, when was his last league match? Hopefully for Gus he doesn't have a shocker.

Can we loan Brezovan out now, our goalkeeper situation is crazy. Send him back to Swindon?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Must be good news - I hope he is ready for match action tonight after a long time out

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
You are probably correct, but Casper only arrived the day before he made his debut last season.

Good point. I was just a little concerned that he wouldn't know the back 4 or our style of play. Mind you for all we know he could have trained over the weekend.

If Gus is happy for him to go straight in, so am I.

bognorandy

Aug 5, 2008
Bognor Regis
Just refreshed the official website and the announcement about Harper has gone already, don't know if technical or maybe realised cant play tonight down to paperwork/too late to register a player???

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Just refreshed the official website and the announcement about Harper has gone already, don't know if technical or maybe realised cant play tonight down to paperwork/too late to register a player???

According to all other media sources, he will play tonight...?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Harper thriving out of Shay's shadow after turning down Spurs switch | Mail Online

Turned down Spurs the other year, that was when he was about to break into our first team.

Really looking forward to seeing Harps have a run in your team, best of luck to him.

I would be interested to know how good he is at coming for crosses, in your opinion. This for me, would be the most likely reason to sign a new 'keeper, someone who commands his penalty area, or at least his six yard box, something Casper has failed to do at anytime since he has been here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here