Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell on Monday

Silent Bob said:
But this was some time ago. They were younger, it's possible Coppell saw them in the same way McGhee now sees the likes of Robinson and Jarret , no?

Yes, it's possible, but as I said earlier, we'll never know because Coppell didn't hang around - and the example of how he treated Virgs gives you massive doubts. What we do know is McGhee came in straight away and made Virgs and Harding first-team regulars virtually immediately, I think we can see a clear difference of emphasis between the two managers here, and McGhee has continued that bias towards integrating youth graduates quickly.

Both managers are fine talents but I just think McGhee's approach suits us far better given the particular financial circumstances that the club finds itself in.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
As was Taylor, Martin Hinshlewood, Simon Rodger, Gary O'Reily and many more. It does not make any real difference they are paid to do a job and Palace are close enough that there are always going to be those that are employed by Palace and Brighton.

And the only one out of that lot I have any respect for is Simon Rodger (who happens to be an Albion fan).

I guess some of you support football in a different light to what I do. I see Pal*se as :censored: ers and hate them with a passion.

I still class Coppell as Pala*se.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
As has been said many times, we've been blessed with some quality managers in the last 6 years. As for Coppell, he was always prime abuse material. I grew up singing the vd chant about him.

But. He did a very good job for us IMO. I am confident that had we had him from the start of the season we would have stayed up. When McGhee keeps us up (as i am 100%positive he will) he will be cheered and applauded to the rafters. And rightly so. AS would coppell if he'd been here form the beginning of the 02/03 season.

AS for last season, he had us top of the league with a game in hand and found a quality goalscoring replacement for Zamora. I see no reason why he wouldn't have matched Mcghee's feat of gaining promotion. He may even have done it as Champions.

The players that he brought into the club were generally all quality. Blackwell, Rodger, Sidwell, Ingimarsson all improved the team greatly. I don't think either blackwell or rodger were short term. In the same way that guy butters hasn't been a short term signing. A short term signing (and a great one to boot) is Simon Morgan. Regarding the youth players, they were all younger(obviously!) then. Maybe he wanted to introduce them slowly and learn off of the senior players. Plus, I think his sole brief was to do everything he could to keep us in the first division and as such it wasn't really the place to throw in untried, untested kids.

So i won't be booing him. Maybe because of the shortness of his tenure and the fact that i did grow up singing that marvellous ditty about him, I won't clap him. But i definitely won't boo him.

Then again, I'm not going to the game, so it doesn't really matter.:dunce:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
this thread has given me the right royal a*rse .

Can't believe there's even a debate about this. Coppell will and without any doubt SHOULD get loads of stick , and I for one can't wait.
What are we ?? some sort of understanding , nice , level headed , do gooders . . . NO

We are football fans, Coppell is Palace (and Reading) ...... who care's about the debatable history

I'm off to paint my welcome to Hell banner

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
Yes, it's possible, but as I said earlier, we'll never know because Coppell didn't hang around - and the example of how he treated Virgs gives you massive doubts. What we do know is McGhee came in straight away and made Virgs and Harding first-team regulars virtually immediately, I think we can see a clear difference of emphasis between the two managers here, and McGhee has continued that bias towards integrating youth graduates quickly.

Both managers are fine talents but I just think McGhee's approach suits us far better given the particular financial circumstances that the club finds itself in.

Did you ever think that when Virgo was sent out on loan it was fof his own good?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Why abuse Coppell ? He's a professional and there's no way anybody in their right mind would stay with us in our current state when offered a job with a team like Reading.

At Reading he has a very good stadium, a better squad and some cash to bolster it.

No contest really. I'm far from the only person who felt that had he started the 2002-2003 as manager then we would probably have stayed up. I don't bear the man any ill will.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
bhaexpress said:
Why abuse Coppell ? He's a professional and there's no way anybody in their right mind would stay with us in our current state when offered a job with a team like Reading.

At Reading he has a very good stadium, a better squad and some cash to bolster it.

No contest really. I'm far from the only person who felt that had he started the 2002-2003 as manager then we would probably have stayed up. I don't bear the man any ill will.

Because some people are small miinded and are the same people that would boo Zamora if he went to palace

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
KinkyGoebels said:
Because some people are small miinded and are the same people that would boo Zamora if he went to palace

Oh please!

I'll admit that his career has seriously stuttered since he left, but there's no need for him to stoop that low.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Finchley Seagull said:
, I dislike Reading and their hypocrisy. Madejski complains constantly about Pardew being taken by West Ham then he took our manager. The only difference in that situation is that Dick Knight acted with dignity and accepted it. .

To be fair though, Mr Majieka is getting his comeuppance now - he has to wake up every morning next to a screeching scouse pensioner. He was a shit msgician too.

KinkyGoebels said:
Did you ever think that when Virgo was sent out on loan it was fof his own good?

The thing about that is you still have to have a good relationship with a player out on loan and convince them their efforts are being followed. Virgs has given a fair few interviews about this and the conclusion he came to was it was an "out of sight, out of mind" scenario.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
bhaexpress said:

Because we're football fans and thats what passion does to you.
He may be proffessional, but with his salary and benefits of being in the beautiful game ..... im sure a bit of baiting won't effect him at all. We owe him nothing

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Quantum said:
Because we're football fans and thats what passion does to you.
He may be proffessional, but with his salary and benefits of being in the beautiful game ..... im sure a bit of baiting won't effect him at all. We owe him nothing

I didn't say we owed Coppeel anything did I ? But tell me, have you never left a job because you've had a better offer ?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
bhaexpress said:
I didn't say we owed Coppeel anything did I ? But tell me, have you never left a job because you've had a better offer ?

for every action there is a consequence . . .

If I left a job because of a better offer I would incur the consequences ie not being allowed to go back on site at former employer , not invited to staff do's with old colleages etc etc and I would expect this
As a football manager Copell will incur consequences too but . . one of which will be getting a hard time from us on Monday . . and he expects this

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I respect the man and thank him for nearly pulling off the great escape.

He was offered a better job, more pay and better facilities - no brainer really as to why he left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here