Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Cooper.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
As I’ve repeatedly said, De Zerbi’s overall win ratio at Brighton, including the worst injury crisis we’ve ever had was better than Potter’s at billionaire, top six Chelsea.
Ok, yes. I take it back. You're the master of context.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I notice the height of Cooper's playng career was 57 games for Bangor City

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Remember how Arsenal celebrated when the low blocked City and still didn’t win the title. RDZ’s approach was let’s try to win every game which Potter was praised for when he took over from CH :shrug:
Yes, and whilst surely that’s the idea, sometimes the ends justifies the means (see the crucial point at Wolves under Hughton).

As you know, I’m very much a RdZ fan, but he never flexed, which actually is not a good thing. There are lots of ways to win, not just one.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Again - completely without context. If you look at our attacking players and full backs - and at which point they were at in their careers - back in 19/20, do you expect a manager to get those players to produce as much chances and goals as those we have today and last season?
Fine, let’s look in context. Because as you say it’s important.

I think we’d all agree that there wasn’t a huge amount of difference between the squads in Potter’s last season, and RDZ’s first season.

21/22 (Potter) - 46.2xG with actual goals scored 42. So -4.2 goals.
22/23 (RDZ) - 73.3xG with actual goals scored 72. So -1.3 goals.

Ultimately, the data, within context, shows that RDZ’s style was both considerably more attacking and considerably more clinical. You can feel how you want to about either manager but you’re kidding yourself if you can’t see that we became a better side tactically and results wise almost immediately under RDZ.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the Albion have put the idea of Cooper out there so when it's Potter we all feel like it's not so bad!
I was thinking the same thing. Reminds me of the time my mum said "The butcher's has run out of steak. Now do you want those sausages, or else I could do you cauliflower cheese?"

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes, and whilst surely that’s the idea, sometimes the ends justifies the means (see the crucial point at Wolves under Hughton).

As you know, I’m very much a RdZ fan, but he never flexed, which actually is not a good thing. There are lots of ways to win, not just one.
With a fully fit squad we were doing just fine, take Mitoma, March, Enciso , Pervis and Pedro out of the squad and any manager is struggling.
Apart from making some qualify signings what was he really meant to do?
Low block for 90 minutes and end up losing anyway?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think we’d all agree that there wasn’t a huge amount of difference between the squads in Potter’s last season, and RDZ’s first season.

Ultimately, the data, within context, shows that RDZ’s style was both considerably more attacking and considerably more clinical. You can feel how you want to about either manager but you’re kidding yourself if you can’t see that we became a better side tactically and results wise almost immediately under RDZ.
With context you can take say Potter’s final 20 games (seeing as he was in charge for a great start 22/23) and RDZ’s first 20 and results, goals scored, conceded are pretty much aligned.

The side had great confidence from the previous season and continued that on.

The very reason so many people were upset Potter had left was because he finally got us winning and scoring.

Very few managers have taken over a side flying high like we were.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
With a fully fit squad we were doing just fine, take Mitoma, March, Enciso , Pervis and Pedro out of the squad and any manager is struggling.
Apart from making some qualify signings what was he really meant to do?
Low block for 90 minutes and end up losing anyway?
Not continually concede the same goals, see West Ham (h) with a full squad, Villa (a), Luton (a), Roma (a), Bournemouth (a) etc….. He did not learn….

The same goal across the entire season.
Full back pushed up too far out of possession, hole exploited…..
Really not rocket science….

Shit…. Now I’ve gone O/T again 😡😃👍

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And without points dedications this season ?
Without points deductions our Hereford story would have been totally different.

They change how you play and your attitude. And, in the case of Everton, they had players they shouldn’t have. They are totally irrelevant.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Mitoma is pretty much Lionel Messi to us and a massive difference.

Anyway, back to the topic maybe?

The thrilling and probably entirely fictional relationship between Cooper and Brighton.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

I think this is the one thing that would depress me going back to Potter. All those games we dominated but failed to win.

The two games against Palace in the 2020/2021 season exemplified Potter-ball:

Palace 1, Brighton 1
Brighton 1, Palace 2

Combined stats from the two games:

Brighton

Possession 70%
Shots (on target) 8
Shots (all) 45

Palace

Possession 30%
Shots (on target) 3
Shots (all) 4

Palace only had FOUR shots of any description over two matches compared to our 45, yet still got four points from the two games compared to our one (and we only got the one due to a last-minute equaliser!).

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
I’d be genuinely shocked if we’ve even spoken to SC.
We have, I know one of his fitness team from Forest and he messaged on Wednesday to say a “conversation was happening” clearly doesn’t mean he’s getting the job but i imagine with so many moving parts to this search (England & potential Man Utd jobs) it’s worth having a plan E

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We have, I know one of his fitness team from Forest and he messaged on Wednesday to say a “conversation was happening” clearly doesn’t mean he’s getting the job but i imagine with so many moving parts to this search (England & potential Man Utd jobs) it’s worth having a plan E
‘A conversation is happening’ is potentially SC sending in his and his team’s interest in the job, and BHA acknowledging their interest. Like I said, I’d be shocked if it’s gone further into a formal interview process, in fact the interview would likely have happened by now given SC is out of work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here