Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Cooper.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Exactly. Cooper's name was linked with Burnley last week and he was said to not be interested, but would speak with Leicester. Subsequent links with us definitely wouldn't have leaked from our end and so look very much like his agent advertising his availability 'Look! Brighton are interested! You better move quickly!'

I think he'll end up at one of the Championship promotion contenders. He's proven himself doing that, but his record in the EPL, harsh though it sounds, is one bottom five finish with one of the most expensive squads ever put together by a newly promoted side and sacked the following Christmas when in the same league position.
I think a bit harsh given GP's first 2 seasons. Might do better with a settled squad and time. That is not to say I believe Coops is the man for us.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I think a bit harsh given GP's first 2 seasons. Might do better with a settled squad and time. That is not to say I believe Coops is the man for us.
I wasn't judging. I was stating that clubs hoping for a European challenge wouldn't be battering down his door. Nobody came looking for Potter when that was his record did they?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
If we appoint him perhaps we could insist he wears one of these.

IMG_1090.jpeg

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
I wasn't judging. I was stating that clubs hoping for a European challenge wouldn't be battering down his door. Nobody came looking for Potter when that was his record did they?
Fair point but they did the next season.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Bottom five you say? How depressing.

View attachment 183292
Now, I know you don't give a shit about the clubs financial status but the difference is that Nottingham Forest had a transfer deficit of close to £250m under Cooper, meaning they are now in a very bad situation (the world will soon notice).

A lot of that spending turned into problems and as with any coach that sees 10-20 players coming in, he had a rough time picking the right ones and I think this eventually led to his demise (I think would have kept Nottingham up in the end).

That £250m did however give them a Premier League squad, and as such surviving was a decent achievement but no more than that. We on our hands survived without getting into trouble.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Were we supposed to kidnap KDH when our offers were allegedly turned down by the club and the player? Seems we did try hard to sign him, we may have tried to sign a winger, who knows?
Not sure how that’s relevant to my post regarding a bloated squad.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Now, I know you don't give a shit about the clubs financial status
On the contrary I tip my hat to the guy who got us into Europe for the first time while we made a £120 million profit.

You, on the other hand, were chewing crayons and skipping school when I was on the pitch against York.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Being backed heavily today. I am happy to give Steve an opportunity

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Looked a bit clueless when Forest weren’t getting results. Good championship manager like most championship mangers they fail in the PL.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Now, I know you don't give a shit about the clubs financial status but the difference is that Nottingham Forest had a transfer deficit of close to £250m under Cooper, meaning they are now in a very bad situation (the world will soon notice).

A lot of that spending turned into problems and as with any coach that sees 10-20 players coming in, he had a rough time picking the right ones and I think this eventually led to his demise (I think would have kept Nottingham up in the end).

That £250m did however give them a Premier League squad, and as such surviving was a decent achievement but no more than that. We on our hands survived without getting into trouble.
None of those scatter gun Chelsea-esque signings were his, he had to try and integrate a motley crew of mercenaries whilst appeasing the loyal soldiers that succeeded in the journey to the PL.

Cooper was on the radar, and many peoples choice before we got Man at C&A.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very nauseous seeing grown blokes mocking how someone looks without being willing to put their mugs up for everyone to judge.
As owner of the best arse in Portslade I’d have to disagree.*

*unfortunately they judged a photo of my face.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Fati certainly wasn’t free. A loan fee was paid - and I can’t imagine that being small - plus enormous wages.
I don't think there was a loan fee but we paid 80% of his wages. The loan cost a repoted £5m/6m in total. Thats about 1 years amortisation for a player like Pedro.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Compare that £200m with the reported £400m (not sourced) TB has put in of his own money. Just because the club sells a player at a profit does not mean the money belongs to the club. It belongs to the owner.

I'm not knocking TB and like 99.99999% of other fans, am eternally grateful for what he's put into the club.

It's the statement that RDZ was 'heavily backed' when it's not our model to do so. In the footballing mad world of insane figures.

Absolutely no complaints, just can't say we've spent heavily on players when we haven't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here