Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Cooper.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Fair assessment. Strikes me we are holding out for someone that for reasons unknown to us mean he can’t sign immediately. If it was Cooper or Potter they’d be signed up by now.
I mean there's a lot of possible reasons:
1. Quite clear that A LOT of football people are on vacation because its now or never really if you need a little break before transfer markets and other pre-season activity really kicks off in a few weeks. Whats the point of bringing our next manager home a week early from his family vacation just to have him do a presser saying "it will be fun to start working in a couple of weeks".
2. AC Milan and Manchester United could both be looking at the same tier of managers as we (and a few others) and few managers would sign a deal with us if they have the chance to getting one of those jobs.
3. We're taking our time reviewing several candidates because there's really no hurry, with the PL starting later than usual.
I bumped into TB last night at the Vic tried to get some info he said the amount of begging emails they have received from a Swedish fella to bring Potter back has been amusing the lads in the office.
He then sauntered off to play poker.
Yeah that probably happened.
An international manager that we’ll appoint after the Euros?
While we're in no hurry I don't see us going another six weeks before appointing a manager who won't have time to prepare himself properly for the job.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
2. AC Milan and Manchester United could both be looking at the same tier of managers as we (and a few others) and few managers would sign a deal with us if they have the chance to getting one of those jobs.

I thought Fonseca to AC Milan was pretty much a done deal? If it falls through, he'd be a target for us surely.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I thought Fonseca to AC Milan was pretty much a done deal? If it falls through, he'd be a target for us surely.
Alright, missed out on the last few days of international footy talk but Milan might be done then. Agree he would be a rather strong candidate if available.
Manchester United are probably the bigger deal for us. People like Stefan Pioli, Graham Potter, Marcelo Gallardo, Ruud van Nistelrooy and arguably a few others might think they have a chance of landing that gig.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
True. Luck plays a huge part in football. But I still think that is an extreme example of what we were often like under Potter. Dominating possession, but losing/drawing games. You could say it was sometimes similar under RDZ, but we created a lot more chances and had a higher chances to goals ratio.

Sure, but we turned it around at the start of Potter's last season.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
True, the original Mail article in this thread was such an obvious, agent led, puff piece. 'An unnamed top ten club' Well you can rule out City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa, Newcastle, United, Spurs & Chelsea, so that leaves West Ham after parting with Moyes, or Palace before they appointed Glasner back in February. Given that Cooper's name was linked strongly with the Palace job back then, you can guess why the club was unnamed. 'Spoken to by a struggling team three months ago before they decided to appoint someone else who gave them a strong end to the season' doesn't advertise Mr Cooper as well to prospective employers does it?
Steve Cooper, much to the anger of Swansea fans, went on a work interview with Palace just days before Swansea's playoff final in 2021. They didn't go with him that time either. Indeed getting the impression that his agent is a busy one.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Do you really think Southgate would manage us after England? You can stop worrying. Peace in the middle east is more likely.

On that note, I actually think Potter to England is more likely than Potter to Brighton.

He's the sort of coach the FA would love.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On that note, I actually think Potter to England is more likely than Potter to Brighton.

He's the sort of coach the FA would love.
Potter would be a great England manager and he could do it without him sacrificing his kids school places and his wife’s business, despite those being the first things you sacrifice when you sign a seven figure managerial contract.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here