Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Claridge is at Albion

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Id start him even if he only lasted an hour.

Experienced, hard working and proven at this level even if he is getting on a bit. As long as his fitness is still there he could do a good job for us short term.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Former Leicester City, Portsmouth and Millwall striker Steve Claridge is training with Albion and could be part of the squad that travels to West Ham this weekend. The 38-year-old is currently a free agent after parting company with Conference South outfit Weymouth, where he was manager. He joined up with the Seagulls on Wednesday and could be in line for a shock return to the Championship.

"Steve is an old friend who is just training with us as the moment," Mark McGhee told seagulls.co.uk. "It's not entirely impossible that we might employ him on Saturday. But it all depends on how Adam Virgo's injury is."

Leading scorer Virgo is battling to overcome the swelling in his leg which forced him to miss the 3-1 home defeat against Crewe.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
He's never been the quickest. His major strength is that he can hold the ball up well and for a man of his age, is extremely fit (witness his performance on Superstars). He also knows where the goal is.

Having said that, he played a stinker when we beat Milwall at home the last time we were in this division.

If he is travelling to West Ham, the deadline for registration has passed, so he would have to have already signed player forms in order to be eligible to play (which he probably has).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
GUNTER said:
If he is travelling to West Ham, the deadline for registration has passed, so he would have to have already signed player forms in order to be eligible to play (which he probably has).

Isnt it some time on Friday via fax.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
He could teach Leon a thing or two, and help out with general training of the team.

Will he bring Robbie Pethick back with him? :jester:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
He is a natural striker and if the ball comes to him in the box he knows where the goal is. Who cares how old he is, if he does the job asked of him.

He can also be educated in what to say when he is on sky as well.

Last edited:

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Will he bring Robbie Pethick back with him?

Robbie Pethick has just joined the growing ex-Albion community at Havant & Waterlooville - Geoff Pitcher, Jamie Campbell and Shaun Wilkinson (I think he's still there).

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Excellent news, it reminds me of when Phil Stant joined us for a while (and, as mentioned, Dave Bessant). :smokin:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
5'11 so hardly a target man but these stats don't lie - he knows how to make onion bags go all bulgie!!

[URL=http://http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
Robbie Pethick has just joined the growing ex-Albion community at Havant & Waterlooville - Geoff Pitcher, Jamie Campbell and Shaun Wilkinson (I think he's still there).

Article in todays telegraph about Darron Wilkinson, who now plays for Slough when he is not a scaffolder. Played 49 for us under Brady.

Jul 20, 2003
I seem to remember him calling for a 12 month ban to be slapped on one Nathan Jones last season.

Good job Jones is an easy going chap.

Claridge - already an Albion legend for his extra time, injury time play-off final goal for Leicester

priceless

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
jevs said:
I bet messers Davenport, Brevett, Powell, Ferdinand, and Repka will be kacking their pants at that piece of delightful news.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :lolol:

With respect, out of that lot, the only one I rate is Davenport.

Brevett, Powell: both well past it. Ferdinand: still inexperienced, not that strong on the ball and as prone to errors as his brother (though could probably piss in a bottle better).

And as for Repka! Only West Ham fans could rate someone as lumbering and ill disciplined as him, but then you did lust after Julian Dicks for years.

No offence like, but your team isn't striking the fear of God into anyone this season, is it? Clearly you should still beat us, but you ain't the force you like to think you are...

(was)DBS

Jul 24, 2003
Southwick
Well if he does start, we bound to win now .....come Super Steve

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Wonder what price Claridge first goal.

I reckon this could be a brilliant bit of short term business.

If he gets a chance on Saturday he's gonna be playing like a man possesed. I can see it now. . . . Claridge rolled back the years to leap like a gazelle and send a superb downward header into the bottom hand corner of the hammers net. The goal sparked off delirious celebrations in the seagulls end. Who would of thought that Brighton would win it at the death, who would of predicted Claridge to be the hero :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here