Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stephens to Burnley (deal now confirmed)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Yes Stephens is not up to the level we are now playing. In previous seasons (in the Prem and especially in the Championship) he was one of the first names on the sheet as he was our only proper defensive midfielder.

Him and Kayal were the best midfield pairing for those last two years in the Championhsip and the pairing of him and Propper helped keep us up in the first two years in the Prem.

So anyone celebrating need to think about what he has achieved with us and say, thanks for everything :drink::wave:

Who knows, maybe we're getting a new DF coming in? Wilmar Barrios anybody?

To get Barrios in would be amazing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
From what I saw from Burnley today he would improve their team a lot. Too many alibi players and no leadership.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I think Burnley are going to really struggle this season. Have done nothing in this transfer window as yet and they look very meh... .

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Like Duffy and Murray, right time and move for all concerned.

I can’t be a hypocrite and say we’ll miss him because I personally feel he’s been a weak link for us in the premier league but he has been a great pro and servant for the club and was excellent for us in the Championship. Will always be fondly remembered and a club legend as part of that promotion side.

Wish him all the best if this is indeed true.

This

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Can we do a part ex for Wood?

This is what I straight away hoped for seeing this but didn't Chris Wood admit in some sort of interview how he didn't enjoy his time down here?

A long time ago, different stadium, training ground, shirt, manager and squad but these things can always stay in the mind for players. Would love to have him though. Hugely underrated when he was last here.

I also remember at the trophy parade in 2011 Poyet, trying to be funny, said something on the microphone along the lines that Wood was shit. I remember being a bit surprised by it as Chris Wood was only a teenager. I actually heard (might not be true) that Bloom did fine Poyet for his behaviour on the microphone that day.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Looks the end of an era, done very well for us but I’d be a hypocrite if I wasn’t happy the Propper Stephen’s midfield has ended. I hated it!

DS will always be in Albions Hall of Heroes though. Certainly one of the best midfielders the club has ever had, that is not in any doubt.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Great for route one hoofball. Not what Potter and our quick passing, high press counter attacking football would suit. Agree we need a plan B but any plan that includes Wood would be a step backwards for me.

Indeed. We are about pace and movement up front. It’s possible to get a powerful Striker who can actually employ the movement and speed we need, that Striker is not Wood.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He’s not mobile enough to play a full part for us but There’s a certain type of game where he’s effective.
For that reason, I’d prefer it if he stayed for the sake of a million quid or so.
I could certainly see him going to Burnley and playing for a good few years.
For all his limitations, Stephens will be a tough act to follow.

This.

And where you want to switch to a defensive shape (defending a lead) he's def one of the best defensive midfielders. Physical, gets stuck in....... Would be a Shame, would prefer to keep to January, just in case.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Obvious you and your USUAL SUSPECT [MENTION=24838]Bladders[/MENTION] have TAPPED up the plants to get the exclusive SCOUP.

Scared to front run BARBOUR, you suckered in [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION] to be the FOOL GUY pretending to be his 'mate of the players' with your cheap prosthetic face mask and dodgy accent.

Questions breaks it, facing the wrath of BARBOUR and you pretend youre just a regular fan HOO NOSE NUTHING.

How do you know it’s with a heavy heart - have you heard from him directly or someone you know type thing?

We ain't falling for that cheap Kaiser Soze ITK trick.

#FreeQuestions

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Nice fit for Burnley if it happens , will do well in a Dyche set up as the deepest midfielder I'd imagine , been a good player for us , he had the disappointment of not being able to move on when he wanted to but got his head down and did his job .

Not 100% sure I like the idea of losing a player with his experience to a rival of similar if not better league placings standard but if he gets a 3 year deal there then goid luck to the bloke .

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Nice fit for Burnley if it happens , will do well in a Dyche set up as the deepest midfielder I'd imagine , been a good player for us , he had the disappointment of not being able to move on when he wanted to but got his head down and did his job .

Not 100% sure I like the idea of losing a player with his experience to a rival of similar if not better league placings standard but if he gets a 3 year deal there then goid luck to the bloke .

i don't mean to be rude, but; so long, and thanks for all the fish.

gotta be a wedge off our wage bill

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Vital part of the team for four years, we wouldn't be where we are now without him. Should get a heroes welcome when he comes back to the Amex(even if it is with Burnley).

If we can get a fee for him then I guess it makes sense. It became clear last year that he was no longer a guaranteed starter and with a year left on his contract it's not clear if he'd have been offered a new/acceptable contract next summer. So, if we get a fee for him and freeing up his wages allows us to bring in, for example, Origi or Sessegnon then I'm on board with the decision.

That leaves only Dunk and Solly of the promotion team, I think. Can't help but be a little sad at that. That team was brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here