Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steak frites in Brighton

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I've never had a good steak in Brighton so would be interested to hear if there any about.

London has now caught up with the states. Hawksmoor at Spittalfields which I go to weekly, Goodman in Soho and the palm in Belgravia are all comparable to the best you'll get in the US. With that in mind I have never had a steak as good as the T-Bone I had at "Cut" in LA and Vegas.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
How do you allow a steak to rest before cooking? Leave it in the fridge an extra 15 minutes? ???

Exactly the opposite... take it OUT of the fridge and any packaging, and leave it on a plate, covered with a clean cloth/towel, for at least 30 minutes before you want to cook it... to ensure it is up to room temperature.

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
That'll be Steak Tartare then. Is that what you wanted or did you fall for the classic "I will not tell 'im that eet is raw" French waiter trick?

A bit of both. I saw the word steak on the menu and went for it. A bit surprised that I enjoyed the meal and would order again.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I've never had a good steak in Brighton so would be interested to hear if there any about.

London has now caught up with the states. Hawksmoor at Spittalfields which I go to weekly, Goodman in Soho and the palm in Belgravia are all comparable to the best you'll get in the US. With that in mind I have never had a steak as good as the T-Bone I had at "Cut" in LA and Vegas.

dwayne - we have missed you bud.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I normally cook it(after doing the garlic rub) and then have melted butter in the pan and SPOON it over the steak for a while to GLAZE it.

GORGE

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I've heard that it's best to rub/brush the oil over the steak rather than pouring the oil onto a very hot skillet and smoking the kitchen out. Intense but short heat is what I've been recommended.

The steak I had at Cafe Rouge in the marina was excellent, the one by the pump house was cold (so were the skinny chips) and had to be sent back and the replacement was average.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here