Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The best and fool proof way to cook steaks

Anthony Bourdain's Steak au Poivre

SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS
4 8-ounce steaks
2 ounces olive oil
2 ounces freshly cracked peppercorns (crushed but not ground to powder!)
4 ounces sweet butter
1 ounce good Cognac
4 ounces strong, dark veal stock (something to keep in your freezer)
Salt and pepper

EQUIPMENT
Heavy skillet
Kitchen tongs
Wooden spoon
Serving platter

DIRECTIONS FOR STEAK

1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Moisten the meat very slightly with oil, then dredge each of the steaks in the crushed peppercorns to thoroughly coat. Don't be shy with the pepper.

2. Heat the remaining oil in the skillet over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add 2 ounces, which is half of the butter. Place the steaks in the pan and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes per side.

3. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook until desired doneness, about 5 to 7 minutes for rare, 10 minutes for medium rare, and so on. Remove from the oven and remove the steaks from the pan to rest. Have I told you yet to always rest your meat after cooking? I've told you now.

DIRECTIONS FOR SAUCE

1. Return the skillet to the stovetop and carefully stir in the Cognac. As much fun as it is to create a column of flame as you add flammable material to an incredibly hot pan, it's not really desirable or necessary — especially in a home kitchen. Unless you're a pyromaniac, I recommend carefully adding the Cognac to the still-hot pan off the flame, stirring and scraping with the wooden spoon to get every scrap, every peppercorn, every rumor of flavor clinging to the bottom of the pan.

2. Now place the pan on the flame again and cook it down a bit, by about half. Stir in the veal stock and reduce over medium heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Whisk in the remaining butter and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with French fries or sautéed potatoes.

Note on searing: With any recipe that calls for searing meat and then using the pan to make a sauce, be careful to avoid blackening the pan; your sauce will taste burnt. Avoid by adjusting the heat to, say, medium high, so it will still sear the meat but not scorch the pan juices. But stoves and pans vary, so pay attention.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Is there not an art to cooking steak to retain the juiciness?

Completely sealing the steak (so no uncooked bit show on the outside) and allowing the meat to rest both before and after cooking will help.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I do LOVE a bit of steak tartare in France and Belgium, as well of course as the German version of it which they call "Mett", which they have on bread for BREAKFAST with slices of raw onion on it. But I did read somewhere that it's a bit of a bastard to digest, stays in your system for months etc. And it can give you worms.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Any decent steak in France must be imported.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I do LOVE a bit of steak tartare in France and Belgium, as well of course as the German version of it which they call "Mett", which they have on bread for BREAKFAST with slices of raw onion on it. But I did read somewhere that it's a bit of a bastard to digest, stays in your system for months etc. And it can give you worms.

I believe that is why continental toilet bowls have a sort of shelf in them, so that you can check your crap for worms before sending it off to the sewage farm...apparently the high volume of uncured pork consumed by our continental cousins accentuates the problem!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't see why people think cooking steak is so difficult. Just buy a decent piece of meat, add a bit of seasoning and cook it on a hot heat for a 2 or 3 minutes each side, it's not rocket science :shrug:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Try Foxy's near hove station - you pick the cut of meat and they cut it in front of you and cook it how you want it.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Completely sealing the steak (so no uncooked bit show on the outside) and allowing the meat to rest both before and after cooking will help.
How do you allow a steak to rest before cooking? Leave it in the fridge an extra 15 minutes? ???

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...stop it running around the garden?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dont tend to eat much steak but I have to have a steak roquefort when over the channel.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Last time I had steak in France it was served raw and minced up. Served with mashed raw garlic and uncooked egg.

Chef's day off was it ? or had the microwave packed up ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here