Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stayaway Fans

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I really enjoyed Withdean for the first few years. We were back in Brighton, the team was on the up, we had BZ, the crowds were good, Withdean was a novelty and we only expected to be there for a few seasons. However, nothing whatsover has improved since then. The novelty has worn off and all of Withdean's disadvantages, previously tolerated, have become increasingly evident. The transport inconveniences, lack of roof, lack of atmosphere, distance from the pitch, poorer performances, loss of BZ, high prices, lack of pubs, etc. have all taken their toll on many fans. I fear that the same will happen at Falmer, although the initial enthusiasm might last a bit longer. However, unless our league position maintains an upward momentum, crowds and enthusiasm will reduce. We'll then be on the same roller-coaster as supporters of most other clubs. A ride that we sometimes wish we weren't on, but one that most of us will never give up, even when we live 200 miles away.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
I like the idea of Bradford City, they made season tickets something like £120, but only if a certain number of people signed up. Be good if we could do something like this, would get attendances up massively, and wouldn't really lose money.

i believe they are ave 14000 aswell

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
It doesn't help not being able to pay on the day there is alot of fans out there that would love to do this, weather permitting of course, to turn up and buy your tickets at the ground would increase the gate, i know it's not the clubs fault with the pathetic restrictions imposed on them. take the cricket the other week how many people would have come with it finishing early alot of fans missed out because of the restrictions. Iknow afew fans with kids that would love to make that last minute decision checking weather etc. I'm a sth because i couldn't stand this bollocks of getting a ticket every other week oh to have the pay at the turnstiles back again:angry:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Maybe people have been priced out ?
Or maybe just won't pay that kind of money for the shit that has been dished up by Wilkins team for over a year now ?

Totally agree, far too expensive for the shite thats been doled out over the last few years, worth no more than £15 imo

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I really enjoyed Withdean for the first few years. We were back in Brighton, the team was on the up, we had BZ, the crowds were good, Withdean was a novelty and we only expected to be there for a few seasons. However, nothing whatsover has improved since then. The novelty has worn off and all of Withdean's disadvantages, previously tolerated, have become increasingly evident. The transport inconveniences, lack of roof, lack of atmosphere, distance from the pitch, poorer performances, loss of BZ, high prices, lack of pubs, etc. have all taken their toll on many fans. I fear that the same will happen at Falmer, although the initial enthusiasm might last a bit longer. However, unless our league position maintains an upward momentum, crowds and enthusiasm will reduce. We'll then be on the same roller-coaster as supporters of most other clubs. A ride that we sometimes wish we weren't on, but one that most of us will never give up, even when we live 200 miles away.

Spot on.

Also at Falmer there MUST be some sort of Pay on the Day otherwise floating fans will not be arsed.

Our 'Marketing Dept. have about three years to get it right. IMO we should go out and get some decent quality people in to oversee this. When Southampton moved from the Dell they had about 14k - which they transformed into nearly 30k at St Marys.

We have to do the same

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have a hard core of about 5, - 6000. Everybody blames Withdean but unfortunately that is not the real reason for the low gates. They have been in decline since long before we left The Goldstone as people have a greater choice of how to spend their money and recreation time now as compared to the 60s and 70s and going to football does not now top the poll of things that you must do.

There is too much football on TV so we have become a nation of armchair experts.

Back in the 60s you had Match of The Day and the Cup Final on TV now you even have the Conference League on how can you expect crowds to improve.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
There is too much football on TV so we have become a nation of armchair experts.

I would rather go and see the Albion play in person, than watch the football on the TV.

Will hopefully be getting my first season ticket next season as I finish Uni in June, I only go to the odd game in August/December/April at the moment:thumbsup:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Go when I can,h&a,but think many are put off by the ground,and many more by the standard and style of the football.Lack of style of the football.

I suspect there is a well of Albion support that will be seen when the new ground is up and running,or before if a big match is in the offing.

But even in those good old days,the average home attendance rarely reached 20000,and that was in the old 1st division playing sides many of which remain in the top division.Playing the sides we play now,and playing them with little flair,or little attempt at it,makes for fairly dull Saturdays etc in even worse surroundings when there are many other things that people can spend £20-30 on.

rbridd

Aug 9, 2005
I believe I fit the profile of "stayaway fan"

I have followed the Albion since 1974.
I have never supported a premiership club, and won't until the albion return to the top flight.
I went to Gillingham, but not every game.
I went to 5 games last season.
I went to 7 or 8 games the season before that.
I have not yet been this season.

So why not?

1) It is expensive. The value for money proposition is not there. That would change if the team were in the top third, and looking like they were capable of promotion.
2) Withdean is a depressing experience. The last 3 times I have been, I got very wet and was surrounded by moaners.
3) I can't smoke anymore.
4) I can't stand anymore.
5) I don't think we have a player, (like Bobby Z), who can inspire the crowd. Y'know... when they get the ball, a buzz goes around the ground, and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
6) I can't get a ticket easily on matchday. I want to be able to wake on a Saturday, and think, "I'll go to the footie today". All the time it is not EASY to go and watch, I won't go and watch... unless there is a compelling reason to do so. (See 1.)

I do listen to every game on the radio.
I do lurk on NSC
I do read the argus reports
I do read the club website
I check the league standings every week

Someone give me a reason to invest hours of my time, and over £20 of my hard earned trying to get a ticket on a Friday or Saturday to go and see a League 1 team playing in a non-league stadium in front of a crowd of moaning minnies.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is frustrating but entirely understandable that people are not keen.

As stated previously, it is expensive; the quality of football is not what it used to be (Missing a Knight or Zamora); it is bitterly cold during the winter months; and people have priorities. Well done to those that continue to follow them, but lets face it. We only need this amount and the club is not going to fold without an increase in attendance.

No-one has right to judge someone for not turning up (although I have done in the past - sorry!). It is all about personal preference, responsibilities and priorities. Football may be the number one for some, but not all. It doesn't make them any less of a fan.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
For me it wasn't necessarily about the football. It used to be about the whole matchday experience, and the feeling that you were going to an 'event', and that there was nowhere else you would rather be.

On days when I knew I was going to a game at the Goldstone I would have a buzz of anticipation fom the moment I woke up - of seeing the floodlight pylons across Hove Park, of hearing the crackly tannoy, and the crowd already inside singing.

Does Withdean deliver any of this? In short no. But then again do any all seater grounds? Not really. For me, all the things that made going to watch live football unmissable have been airbrushed out, until all that is left is a souless, sterile exprience.

I went half a dozen times the season before last, I went 2 last season and have no pland to go this season, and in all honesty can't get that excited about going to Falmer just to sit in silence either. I think I have simply fallen out of love with it.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
after 7 seasons being a STH, I've jacked in as I hate Withers with a passion. I've been to 2 home games this season, and I'll be in the family stand this sat with my daughter, and no doubt I'll be there for a few more but no amount of concession/marketing will make me buy another st @ withers. I could be tempted if I could watch a team with passion and spirit and be allowed to match their spirit with mine. Unfortunately we have too many flask and rug "fans" who moan about anything and everything and know absolutely jack shit about football who've helped destroy what little atmosphere there was, them and over the top stewarding....

??? - moaning? In the family stand? Probably the one place at Withdean you don't get any moaning just loads of noise. I hate Withdean BUT my team play there and I'm absolutely f***ed if I'm gonna let my 2 boys drift into supporting premiership teams.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Exactly it is very expensive football these day, paid around £900 for 1 adult and 2 kids season tickets.

Annoys me though when all other league clubs manage to do very cheap child season tickets

Yes I had two season tickets for the first seven years at withdean but this year we just could not afford it. My son now trains on a saturday so if he misses training he does not get picked on a Sunday but my mates take hime some weeks, he has been twice so far and I got to the yeovil game (wasnt Nathan scrummy) and am saving up to go to orient.

Its not withdean for us despite the rain and negativity, because I like seeing my mates and I usually only see them at football, I am afraid its just too expensive, but i'll be back regularly when I get richer.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
interest rate rises = 2 kids needing food, clothes and shelter + no pay rise for 2 years + petrol and council tax and gasand electric prices risng.

What you gonna do? cut down on beer (the albion) or the kids new gear. Not such a big decison when your 43

Snap...except I wish I were 43 again. :)

The other factor is kids' parties. I was a STH last year and missed so many games as there was a party to take my daughter to (or stay at home with my son while Mrs G took my daughter) - that's why I decided not to get a season ticket.

I am going to the next three home games though :)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Better things to spend my money and time on + can't sit with mates and be all rowdy + served up dross on the pitch + Withdean is a shithole = not wanting to part with 25 quid plus beers on top for a day out which wouldn't be enjoyed anyway.

See you at Orient then!

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Snap...except I wish I were 43 again. :)

The other factor is kids' parties. I was a STH last year and missed so many games as there was a party to take my daughter to (or stay at home with my son while Mrs G took my daughter) - that's why I decided not to get a season ticket.

I am going to the next three home games though :)

Gwylan I am with you on the party thing, especially when you have to stay there and endure it - watching Brighton get tonked in the pouring rain while a steward insists I sit in a puddle and the bloke next to be moans for the full 90 minutes about Dick Knight not fundiing the team and Mayo being slow and Kuipers distribution ect ect is better fun than my 5 year olds friends screeching for hours at a party.

I do like talking to the yummy mummys about the price of cheese though

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Gwylan I am with you on the party thing, especially when you have to stay there and endure it - watching Brighton get tonked in the pouring rain while a steward insists I sit in a puddle and the bloke next to be moans for the full 90 minutes about Dick Knight not fundiing the team and Mayo being slow and Kuipers distribution ect ect is better fun than my 5 year olds friends screeching for hours at a party.

I do like talking to the yummy mummys about the price of cheese though

Funny you should be talking about parties. My youngest has a party in Hove at 4 tomorrow. Managed to wangle another parent taking him though so I can take my eldest to Withdean.

Seriously, if you're after a noisy atmosphere at Brighton with no moaning, then go in the family stand - especially if you're near to the Burgess Hill contingent at the top left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here