Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stayaway fans has probably been done to death however......

The club need to get on to the council and have a rethink about the conditions at Withdean now.

The majority of our games do not need to be all ticket anymore, as has been the case for at least three seasons.

There's no chance of that especially when we are trying to get planning permission to play at Withdean until Falmer is ready.
As I said on Harty's show yesterday, it might be worth talking to the council about modifying the Withdean conditions.

The Council is extremely unlikely to agree to a blanket 'pay on the gate' system, since this will undermine the Travel Plan. But it would be a good idea to have tickets more easily available for cash sales on the day. Maybe matchday ticket booths at Brighton Station and the Park & Ride sites?

D

Deleted User X18H

I do beleive I mentioned on the phone in some weeks ago setting up booths at Brighton or Preston Park stations on Match days I am even happy to sell tickets on my doorstep.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
The sale itself would had to have been pre-arranged ?

There would have to have been a ticket in an envelope with his name on it ?

They don't hold money in there do they ?

No I dont believe it was pre arranged.

The guy asked for 'one seat in south stand wings please' - and handed over his money.

I asked the steward who stands next to the window if you can pay on the day now, and he said if there are suffiecient numbers of tickets available, then the club can make them available.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'm hacked off with meeting people in and around the County who say "Oh yes I am an Albion fan, have been for years, but I'll wait until they get Falmer before I go back and watch them."

It a bit like saying "I love my wife but I won't take her out until she has surgery to look like Louise Redknapp!"

We need these 'fans' now, not in two or three years!!!!

I dont blame them...have you actually been to withdean or are you hiding in your radio booth at SCR Towers?

I also fall into the bracket of not getting a Season Ticket until we get to Falmer...or last season at Withdean so I get higher up the queue for the first season.

D

Deleted User X18H

Will Mrs Born and Bred be providing light refreshments?[/QUOTE

If I meant meeting you Ian she would , as she is convinced you are Alan Partidge and I must say I see her point :lol:

The sale itself would had to have been pre-arranged ?

There would have to have been a ticket in an envelope with his name on it ?

They don't hold money in there do they ?

I have worked the ticket collection window, and I can state categorically that we had neither change, nor available tickets.
I can't say with any authority whether there ARE some press-returns, comps, or unclaimed tickets that 'might' be available at times, this is a new one on me.

Agree about tickets being made available for non-sellout games though, as there seems little difference really between someone who has called in a couple of hours before a match - to a person who has turned up a couple of hours in person. That's not my jurisdiction though, I'm just a .....jobsworth :O

I have worked the ticket collection window, and I can state categorically that we had neither change, nor available tickets.
I can't say with any authority whether there ARE some press-returns, comps, or unclaimed tickets that 'might' be available at times, this is a new one on me.

Agree about tickets being made available for non-sellout games though, as there seems little difference really between someone who has called in a couple of hours before a match - to a person who has turned up a couple of hours in person. That's not my jurisdiction though, I'm just a .....jobsworth :O

I think I know which steward you are now - I recognise that hi-visibility HEAD

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I thought I'd heard that recently, despite the planning regs, people can buy a ticket on the day from the ticket booth at Withdean. (ie just turn up and buy one, not phoning in advance and picking it up)

No I dont believe it was pre arranged.

The guy asked for 'one seat in south stand wings please' - and handed over his money.

I asked the steward who stands next to the window if you can pay on the day now, and he said if there are suffiecient numbers of tickets available, then the club can make them available.

It's a bit Chinese whispers, isn't it.
I thought I heard.
I don't believe it was pre arranged.

Would anyone like to risk going at 2.45 and trying for a ticket?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
This has indeed been done to death and listening to people having a go at 'stay-away fans' is just plain sad. Football in every league has been heading in this direction for some time now. It is not simply a case of cost, it's more about value. And Withdean suffers all the more because of this. £25 a ticket for third division football in the football league's worst stadium? It's hardly surprising that people aren't clamouring to get in.

Following on from the thread about "tipping stewards" for excellent service ...

Maybe what is being reported is that "someone" was being "helpful beyond expectations" when they took cash for a returned ticket.

On a completely unrelated matter (of course), I remember going to see the last game we played against Donny at Belle Vue. The train was delayed for hours by a suicide near Peterborough. We got to the ground just as the half-time whistle blew.

All the gates were locked. We found a steward. "Where can we pay?" was the question. "Sorry, you're too late to get in". "I think not", I said.

"Well, you can speak to my supervisor. He's in that hut over there".

Inside the hut were a couple of other stewards. I explained the situation about the late running train and asked the question again. "Any chance of getting in to see the game?"

"Of course", came the reply. "I'll open the gate for you. You don't want to be paying full price for only half a game, do you? Shall we say a tenner each".

Cash handed over.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"Of course", came the reply. "I'll open the gate for you. You don't want to be paying full price for only half a game, do you? Shall we say a tenner each".

Cash handed over.

Bought him a few beers that night with enough for a kebab on the way home.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
It's a bit Chinese whispers, isn't it.
I thought I heard.
I don't believe it was pre arranged.

Would anyone like to risk going at 2.45 and trying for a ticket?

Theres nothing Chinese whispers about it - I saw it happen in front of me.

- if that's alright with you ??

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm hacked off with meeting people in and around the County who say "Oh yes I am an Albion fan, have been for years, but I'll wait until they get Falmer before I go back and watch them."

It a bit like saying "I love my wife but I won't take her out until she has surgery to look like Louise Redknapp!"

We need these 'fans' now, not in two or three years!!!!

If we build it, they will come. No-one who is only a bit interested is going to bother at the moment.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Theres nothing Chinese whispers about it - I saw it happen in front of me.

- if that's alright with you ??

Please clarify if scenario a or b:

a) The person in front of you said ticket for the South Stand please then kerching £23 or whatever and bought a ticket

b) I have come to collect ticket so and so and pay for it with cash

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
At times there have been 3 or 4 home games in a month, maybe even a fairly local away game too. My budget means i have to pick and choose....plus the excellent NSC ticket exchange/away match travel pages.

Along with that, the weather has a part to play. There have been times when a match looks 'good' but it rains all week and the forcast is poor, that must put some off from buying, remembering you have to buy in advance.

I think the 3rd main reason, now hopefully being solved, was the poor entertainment at many home games. Paying a fortune to sit in the rain & be bored was enough to break the football habit for so many, especially those who sat at home watching Euro football.

Me? Well, when i'm not at a game I'm at home with the BBC, SCR. We didn't have commentry in the old days and sometimes I've sat at home whilst it's been cold, wet & dark and been thankful I haven't wasted my money.

Bad fan....but we're playing better and I'm going to (and enjoying) more games now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here