Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stayaway fans has probably been done to death however......

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But as was suggested on the phone in, surely a rethink of those conditions that were drawn up almost ten years ago is not entirely unreasonable?

Pay on day and eradicating the travel voucher seriously needs to be looked at.

Pay on the day is not allowed and part of the conditions of Falmer.

However there is talk about outlets selling on the day such a train stations / news agents

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The decline in the number of fans is probably down to a number of factors - all of which will vary depending on the individual and the circumstances:

- It's a question of habit. If you stop going (for whatever reason) and fill your time with other things it's easier to miss the next game (a bit like missing lectures at Uni. I discovered that missing the first one was difficult and guilt ridden. Missing the next was easier. Missing Year Three was a doddle!).

- Circumstances change - it's not always your decision about whether you go or not. Decisions are not made in a vacuum. Having kids, changing job, being in a relationship, lower income - these things all impact and mean that it is often for many people not a simple question of "shall I go or not?".

In my case I never missed a game home or away for years. then I got into a relationship, work got more demanding, we moved away and had kids. This all makes it harder to justify getting to the footy. I know uber fans will go whatever their circumstances - but the rest of us have to juggle (and probably have a lower divorce rate). I'll bet that a lot of the people who used to go more often are in this group.

- It is not cheap - by the time I have taken my son and bought the programmes, food, scarf, poncho (kidding), and so on, the cost does become a significant decision. And I'm lucky enough that £60 won't break the bank, but it's £60 that my family could do an awful lot of other things with. And, when Brighton do drop the price (eg Gillingham) the ground is packed. QED.

- Football on telly - there is a lot of easily accessible football available on TV. There is no doubt that for people with other commitments, it's easier for many to get their fix via TV than by dragging yourself down to Withdean....

- ... Which is a hole - and the thought of sitting in the South Stand in the rain is not a very savoury one. "Real fans" don't mind, but waverers do. If you're vacillating, it's another reason to fall on the side of "don't go and as a result pick up some brownie points at home".

- Accessibility - I am convinced that more people would come to games if they could just turn up on the day and buy a ticket. In fact you may be able to - and that's also the point. Do stay-away fans know how to get access tot he club? I buy my tickets online (or beg them on here on ticket exchange) and you can collect on the day - but if you are out of the habit and not in touch with the club as you once were, there are barriers to coming back that are that simple.

In this case, the Club are culpable. They have to find a way to let the 30,000 people in the area who could buy a ticket how to get back into real, live, local football. easier said than done - but not beyond the wit of man. Also see "It's not cheap".

- Quality of the product - we're in Division Three. Let's be honest, there are teams we are playing that do not set the pulses racing. If people are out of the habit, Oldham on a rainy Saturday may not be the incentive to encourage you to get back into football. Of course the games can be great (Gillingham) or dreadful (Mansfield) and we accept that as fans, but the stay-away is definitely more likely to be able to justify (to himself or to his family) coming to a game against Forest than one against Port Vale. In my case - I can't pick and choose like that. I come to all the games that my business allows me to get to - whoever they are against. And I agree with the poster who said that you can never tell which will be the good ones.

We are not alone - proof of the point above is that only four clubs had larger crowds in Div One yesterday behind Huddersfiled (7823), Millwall (London derby v. Orient 10,986), Forest (17,177) and Port Vale (7,908 entertaining Leeds).

But, these are not excuses - these are reasons why people who could support Brighton do not and they are pretexts that stay-aways use to justify the act on non-attendance. Remove the barriers and the excuses and people will come back. Watching the Albion and being engaged with the club is a buzz.

However, Football fans are fantasists by nature - and they can kid themselves. Most of the reasons above can be addressed.

- Most of those "I'll be going to Falmer" types won't. See above reasons and actually, if they were going to go, they would.

- Put yourself out - supporters put themselves out, "fans" might not.

- If you don't vote you can't grumble about the Government, taxes, laws etc etc. It's the same with football. If you don't go (or at least make an effort to go when you can), you give up your right to expound your opinions.

- Make an effort - commit to coming to three or four games a year. If money is tight, pick and choose the promo games if you have to.

- Bring your kids - they'll love it and you'll get a thrill from their enjoyment. You may even find you have something to talk to them about when they become uncommunicative teenagers (that one's true - believe me!).

So don't dismiss the stay-aways so quickly, things can be done. But we should take every opportunity to help them find ways to come back and get the habit again and so should the club.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought I'd heard that recently, despite the planning regs, people can buy a ticket on the day from the ticket booth at Withdean. (ie just turn up and buy one, not phoning in advance and picking it up)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I thought I'd heard that recently, despite the planning regs, people can buy a ticket on the day from the ticket booth at Withdean. (ie just turn up and buy one, not phoning in advance and picking it up)

No, they have to phone or order online.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

That's the point though isn't it. An uber fan "thinks he's heard" you can buy tickets on the day? What typical lapsed fan will risk turning up on the hope that they can get a ticket? This kind of thing needs to be clear and well communicated.

What other sector would make the means of buying the product so bloody complex???

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
The decline in the number of fans is probably down to a number of factors - all of which will vary depending on the individual and the circumstances:

- It's a question of habit. If you stop going (for whatever reason) and fill your time with other things it's easier to miss the next game (a bit like missing lectures at Uni. I discovered that missing the first one was difficult and guilt ridden. Missing the next was easier. Missing Year Three was a doddle!).

- Circumstances change - it's not always your decision about whether you go or not. Decisions are not made in a vacuum. Having kids, changing job, being in a relationship, lower income - these things all impact and mean that it is often for many people not a simple question of "shall I go or not?".

In my case I never missed a game home or away for years. then I got into a relationship, work got more demanding, we moved away and had kids. This all makes it harder to justify getting to the footy. I know uber fans will go whatever their circumstances - but the rest of us have to juggle (and probably have a lower divorce rate). I'll bet that a lot of the people who used to go more often are in this group.

- It is not cheap - by the time I have taken my son and bought the programmes, food, scarf, poncho (kidding), and so on, the cost does become a significant decision. And I'm lucky enough that £60 won't break the bank, but it's £60 that my family could do an awful lot of other things with. And, when Brighton do drop the price (eg Gillingham) the ground is packed. QED.

- Football on telly - there is a lot of easily accessible football available on TV. There is no doubt that for people with other commitments, it's easier for many to get their fix via TV than by dragging yourself down to Withdean....

- ... Which is a hole - and the thought of sitting in the South Stand in the rain is not a very savoury one. "Real fans" don't mind, but waverers do. If you're vacillating, it's another reason to fall on the side of "don't go and as a result pick up some brownie points at home".

- Accessibility - I am convinced that more people would come to games if they could just turn up on the day and buy a ticket. In fact you may be able to - and that's also the point. Do stay-away fans know how to get access tot he club? I buy my tickets online (or beg them on here on ticket exchange) and you can collect on the day - but if you are out of the habit and not in touch with the club as you once were, there are barriers to coming back that are that simple.

In this case, the Club are culpable. They have to find a way to let the 30,000 people in the area who could buy a ticket how to get back into real, live, local football. easier said than done - but not beyond the wit of man. Also see "It's not cheap".

- Quality of the product - we're in Division Three. Let's be honest, there are teams we are playing that do not set the pulses racing. If people are out of the habit, Oldham on a rainy Saturday may not be the incentive to encourage you to get back into football. Of course the games can be great (Gillingham) or dreadful (Mansfield) and we accept that as fans, but the stay-away is definitely more likely to be able to justify (to himself or to his family) coming to a game against Forest than one against Port Vale. In my case - I can't pick and choose like that. I come to all the games that my business allows me to get to - whoever they are against. And I agree with the poster who said that you can never tell which will be the good ones.

We are not alone - proof of the point above is that only four clubs had larger crowds in Div One yesterday behind Huddersfiled (7823), Millwall (London derby v. Orient 10,986), Forest (17,177) and Port Vale (7,908 entertaining Leeds).

But, these are not excuses - these are reasons why people who could support Brighton do not and they are pretexts that stay-aways use to justify the act on non-attendance. Remove the barriers and the excuses and people will come back. Watching the Albion and being engaged with the club is a buzz.

However, Football fans are fantasists by nature - and they can kid themselves. Most of the reasons above can be addressed.

- Most of those "I'll be going to Falmer" types won't. See above reasons and actually, if they were going to go, they would.

- Put yourself out - supporters put themselves out, "fans" might not.

- If you don't vote you can't grumble about the Government, taxes, laws etc etc. It's the same with football. If you don't go (or at least make an effort to go when you can), you give up your right to expound your opinions.

- Make an effort - commit to coming to three or four games a year. If money is tight, pick and choose the promo games if you have to.

- Bring your kids - they'll love it and you'll get a thrill from their enjoyment. You may even find you have something to talk to them about when they become uncommunicative teenagers (that one's true - believe me!).

So don't dismiss the stay-aways so quickly, things can be done. But we should take every opportunity to help them find ways to come back and get the habit again and so should the club.

Excellent post :thumbsup:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Pay on the day is not allowed and part of the conditions of Falmer.

However there is talk about outlets selling on the day such a train stations / news agents

That's Falmer though, possibly up to three years away.

The club need to get on to the council and have a rethink about the conditions at Withdean now.

The majority of our games do not need to be all ticket anymore, as has been the case for at least three seasons.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The club need to get on to the council and have a rethink about the conditions at Withdean now.

There's no chance of that especially when we are trying to get planning permission to play at Withdean until Falmer is ready.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's Falmer though, possibly up to three years away.

The majority of our games do not need to be all ticket anymore, as has been the case for at least three seasons.

And part of the agreement with the residents of Withdean is not pay on the day thus ensuring hordes of away fans don't turn up ticketless and cannot get in.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
But as was suggested on the phone in, surely a rethink of those conditions that were drawn up almost ten years ago is not entirely unreasonable?

Pay on day and eradicating the travel voucher seriously needs to be looked at.

The club cannot just do it. The problem would be that the club would have to apply fpr a change in the planning permission granted for us to be at Withdean. There would be a significant number of objections from Withdean residents and local groups. I doubt if Brighton City council would be minded to change things.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
There's no chance of that especially when we are trying to get planning permission to play at Withdean until Falmer is ready.

Why is there no chance though?

Surely the reason pay on day was ruled out in the first place was because of the fear of thousands of ticketless yobs turning up at the ground and causing havoc.

With our increased capacity and good track record for matchday arrests/trouble, there is simply no reason why this would suddenly start happening. Of course the Leeds/Swansea matches would be all ticket, as is the case with all other clubs.

I think it's just a case of you don't ask, you don't get.

And Knight/Perry/Brown ain't asking.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
We need planning permission to play at Withdean next season. The application has been in for 5 weeks now. Too late to start demanding new conditions.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
And part of the agreement with the residents of Withdean is not pay on the day thus ensuring hordes of away fans don't turn up ticketless and cannot get in.

How many away teams have sold out there allocation in the last 5 years?

Not even Palace did last time they were down. If away fans want to turn up, they'll turn up regardless of our ticketing policy.

The fact of the matter is, they don't.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Crikey Harty - you actually are doing this "need the fans" thing into the afterlife.

Try telling them you feel sorry for them, because they ARE missing out, and they DID miss out yesterday.

Harping on about 'need' makes you and The ALBION sound like a downtrodden fishwife!

They might like to think they're 'sending a message' by staying away, or some STUPID shite like that!
Let them know - their insistence on staying away is them cutting their own noses to spite their face - think about that expression, it is what they are doing!

Yesterday was a great match - fact.
And those 'stayaway fans' can eat crud hearing about it as far as I'm concerned. Rub it in, why don't you?

Good point, well made.

Harty, you have the perfect medium for letting the stayaway fans know exactly what they are missing. Yesterday was an excellent close game which we managed to win. Good grief, whilst not actually "rocking", there was even a bit of atmosphere in the ground yesterday. Use your show to big up what is going on, and maybe, just maybe, some stayaways will hear what you are saying and come back.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I'm actually worried that they might not even come back when we get to Falmer. I think we've lost a hell of a lot of supporters permanently since the Goldstone.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
On no they dont.

Chap in front of me yesterday when I was collecting my ticket handed over £25 and got a south stand seat.

That 'rule' seems to have been quitely dropped.

The sale itself would had to have been pre-arranged ?

There would have to have been a ticket in an envelope with his name on it ?

They don't hold money in there do they ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here