Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statement from Orient re: Olympic Stadium

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Club Statement - Olympic Stadium
Posted on: Mon 24 Jan 2011
Statement issued by the board of directors of Leyton Orient FC on Sunday January 23 2011….

ONE of the most important decisions in the 130-year history of Leyton Orient Football Club may be made next week - and it is a decision over which the Club has no control.

The decision of the Olympic Park Legacy Company to award the use of the London 2012 Olympic Stadium in legacy to either West Ham United or Tottenham Hotspur will have grave implications on the future of London's second-oldest Football League Club and threaten our proud traditions as a community-based Club.

The impact on Leyton Orient will be huge. The prospect of excess capacity leading to discounted tickets and the broader appeal to floating fans of a more high-profile club threatens to swamp us.

A huge question mark hangs over our long-term viability at Brisbane Road with the move of another professional football club to within a mile of what has been our home since 1937.

It is tragic to think that the true legacy of the 2012 Olympic Games could be the death of one of football's most-established community Clubs. Is that something those in the corridors of power are prepared to shoulder the responsibility for?

The Club has appealed to the Premier League and the Football League, both of whom would be in breach of their own regulations if they were to sanction a move for either West Ham United or Tottenham Hotspur, but the silence is deafening.

We've done things the right way. We haven't gone in to administration and cheated our way in to staying in business; we've invested in our community reaching over 130,000 people per year across six boroughs; we've invested in our youth programme giving local kids a chance; we've modernised our stadium by re-building three stands; we pay our bills and our wages on time and we always will.

The media write about West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspur. No consideration is given to Leyton Orient. The powers that be want to brush us under the carpet and suppress our views but we will not allow that to happen.

Where does the Mayor of London Boris Johnson sit on this issue? Could he sleep at night knowing that those he has entrusted the future of east London to have betrayed so many of their people by damaging, potentially irreversibly, something that means so much to them?

And what of the Premier League and Football League? They both have a regulation which states their Boards shall only grant consent to a member Club to move to another ground which 'would not adversely affect Clubs having their registered grounds in the immediate vicinity of the proposed location'.

Brisbane Road sits one long goal-kick from the Olympic Park, there is no question that it is within the 'immediate vicinity'. Surely their Boards will recognise this at their respective meetings when the application to move ground comes in from either West Ham United or Tottenham Hotspur?

All parties must endeavour to find a solution which will satisfy all parties and whilst we are sure there will always be a Leyton Orient we can't take it for granted, sit back and be steamrollered out of existence. At this time, our voice must be heard.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I'm not criticising, but have they been campaigning publically about this at all? They must have had plenty of time to bring this to a wider forum, however all that statement says is that they've written to the Premier and Football Leagues and been ignored.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Orient should be allowed to ground-share at the Olympic Stadium regardless of who else wins the bid to move in.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Premier League and Football League rules both state another club cannot move within a mile of another established League club. If Orient ground-share with WH or Spurs the rule is not breached.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Having said that, it does seem to be a plea for sympathy. I don't remember he being so sympathetic towards our plight and didn't he want us kicked out of the league?

I do feel for the naughty O's in this case, but not for the wanker Hearn.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not criticising, but have they been campaigning publically about this at all? They must have had plenty of time to bring this to a wider forum, however all that statement says is that they've written to the Premier and Football Leagues and been ignored.

They probably have, but who in our Premier League-obsessed media would listen to Leyton Orient? They could shout all they like and all SkySports would hear is Harry Redknapp and David Sullivan.

I gather the Olympic stadium is a single Tube stop from Brisbane Road, it would be bad news for Orient if West Ham moved in, but Spurs? That would be outrageous.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If the clause about not moving into the vicinity of another club really is part of the PL contract, I'd imagine that Orient would have a very strong legal case against the move. I hadn't realised such a clause existed, I'd love to know the Spurs/West ham argument against it

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I'd be happy to see them give it to Orient rather that the other two. My guess is Gold, Sullivan & Brady only ever went for Wet Spam because they thought they would get the Olympic statdium easily & cheaply

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Premier League and Football League rules both state another club cannot move within a mile of another established League club. If Orient ground-share with WH or Spurs the rule is not breached.

Ah ok. Not sure I'd want Brighton to move into a 60,000 seater stadium while we were a mediocre L1 team. World be embarrassing on a Darlington type scale.

Can't see why, as mentioned above, Orient won't take immediate action on the announcement of the result.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It is dissapointing to see that their fans aren't kicking up much of a fuss.

If I was Orient I would be preparing to sue people left right and centre

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
5. Each Club shall register its ground with the Secretary and no Club shall remove to another
ground without first obtaining the written consent of the Board, such consent not to be
unreasonably withheld.
6. In considering whether to give any such consent, the Board shall have regard to all the
circumstances of the case and shall not consent unless reasonably satisfied that such consent:

6.1 would be consistent with the objects of the Company as set out in the Memorandum;
6.2 would be appropriate having in mind the relationship (if any) between the locality with
which by its name or otherwise the applicant Club is traditionally associated and that
in which such Club proposes to establish its ground;

6.3 would not adversely affect such Club’s Officials, Players, supporters, shareholders,
sponsors and others having an interest in its activities;
6.4 would not have an adverse effect on Visiting Clubs;
6.5 would not adversely affect Clubs (or Football League clubs) having their registered
grounds in the immediate vicinity of the proposed location; and

6.6 would enhance the reputation of the League and promote the game of association
football generally.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here