Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Starmer v Sunak *** Official Match Thread ***

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Nailed it.

I was surprised that Starmer didn't push back on Sunak's claims of a £2k tax hike straight away, as just sounded like typical scaremongering bollocks (which I remarked at the time to the doris). Sunak then got VERY excited when it appeared Starmer had nothing to counter against this claim, so went on to repeat it another 7 times to make sure he hammered it home so it would get top billing in the headlines. He couldn't wait to keep blurting it out.

All the time, Starmer had that letter from the Treasury in his back pocket proving that Sunak was lying through his teeth. And he left it till right near the end before briefly mentioning that the Tories £38bn black hole claim, equating to £2k for every household, was bobbins. Now that the truth is out, in hindsight its almost a Columbo moment. "Oh...just one more thing..."

Its still a gamble, because a lot of thickets might still have taken this "Labour will cost you an extra £2k a year in tax" lie at face value, without seeing or understanding the follow-up. But anyone with half a brain will see how the snake-oil salesman has run his mouth off with a blatant lie, and hopefully bear this in mind when it comes to the ballot box. As you rightly say, Starmer gave him the rope with which to hang himself, and patiently waited.

If that was indeed the plan then it worked. He needs to drive this home in the next debate.
The point is the Mail and the Express ran it as their headline. And they won't be correcting it tomorrow, that's for sure. A lot of people won't know it was a lie - and take it at face-value. The Tories know this and don't care. It's a tactic that works very well for them.

Starmer should have attacked the validity of it the first time Sunak mentioned it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The point is the Mail and the Express ran it as their headline. And they won't be correcting it tomorrow, that's for sure. A lot of people won't know it was a lie - and take it at face-value. The Tories know this and don't care. It's a tactic that works very well for them.

Starmer should have attacked the validity of it the first time Sunak mentioned it.
Well yes, but the Mail and the Express would still have run the headline whatever Starmer said

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Really think he should have kept his number one pledge made when standing for Labour leadership. It would be clear water between Labour and Conservatives on tax issues.

starmer.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I remember how this was spun against Labour in 2019. They said they would increase income tax for those earning over £80k. Yet this was repeatedly reported as 'Labour to hike income tax' (without mentioning the £80k), until it became ingrained in the public consciousness. The '2k for every working family' thing may be BS, but people will remember it come election day.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I know you did, but it’s not like a football team where you choose your colours.
Do you know who the Green candidate, LibDem candidate are? Have you read their manifestos?
yes actually I do. Kirsty Adam’s (con). Alison Bennett (Lib). Gary Johnson (Ref). Deanna Nicholson (Green) and David Rowntree (Lab). List will close on 7th.

As to manifestos no I haven’t YET. Have you?

I know it’s not like a football team and chasing colours, thanks for the patronising comment, however these two muppets are leaders of their parties. They were there to inform us plebs as to what they are going to do and how they will lead their respective parties when in government. Neither could or would, just same old bollox behaving like a couple of playground imbeciles. If that’s all they’ve go to offer then neither deserve my vote.

Is that good enough for you?

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The point is the Mail and the Express ran it as their headline.

Not sure that matters. Daily Mail and Express readers aren't swing voters. The average Daily Mail / Express reader would be voting Tory regardless, thanks to years and years worth of indoctrination.

Jul 20, 2003
Not sure that matters. Daily Mail and Express readers aren't swing voters. The average Daily Mail / Express reader would be voting Tory regardless, thanks to years and years worth of indoctrination.

2015 GE The Daily Express backed UKIP. A lot of their readers see Farage as 'their guy'. I would expect that Reform will get oodles of positive coverage in that rag as that's what a lot of their readers want.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
yes actually I do. Kirsty Adam’s (con). Alison Bennett (Lib). Gary Johnson (Ref). Deanna Nicholson (Green) and David Rowntree (Lab). List will close on 7th.

As to manifestos no I haven’t YET. Have you?

I know it’s not like a football team and chasing colours, thanks for the patronising comment, however these two muppets are leaders of their parties. They were there to inform us plebs as to what they are going to do and how they will lead their respective parties when in government. Neither could or would, just same old bollox behaving like a couple of playground imbeciles. If that’s all they’ve go to offer then neither deserve my vote.

Is that good enough for you?
So if they are both muppets and neither deserve your vote, will you be voting to best ensure neither gets elected?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Id need to put 3 layers of chicken wire in fromt of my TV 😬
Could do a job!

Of those 2, who'd both have the ability, I'd trust Andrew Neil to have a bit more balance and fairness as a proper political hack. Morgan can find and hit nerves but he's also quite self serving. I wouldnt trust him to be truly objective with similar levels of fairness to candidates.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
What worries me is my recollection of the 1985 Prince Of Wales Stakes, there were only 4 runners and the two market leaders (Comanche Run and Pebbles) were so focused on each other that the outsider Bob Back pissed up at 33/1

That was more exciting than the politics!😁

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Tories are still doubling down on the bullshit this morning.

I'm not sure it's complete BS.

Labour have made a bunch of promises and have not costed them up properly. Tories are trying to coax this out of them. I think the lie is the fact that it was a fully independent analysis.

It's a reasonable point , all these improvements to the NHS , increased defence spending, more money for stopping the boats etc .... Where's it coming from the country is broke.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I'm not sure it's complete BS.

Labour have made a bunch of promises and have not costed them up properly. Tories are trying to coax this out of them. I think the lie is the fact that it was a fully independent analysis.

It's a reasonable point , all these improvements to the NHS , increased defence spending, more money for stopping the boats etc .... Where's it coming from the country is broke.
The point is they are guessing. In politics live they gave an example of how they would find more PCSOs through better procurement in the police.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here