Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Starmer v Sunak *** Official Match Thread ***

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm not voting for either of these parties so I don't particularly care but I reckon angry Sunak just about succeeded in talking over Starmer - and amazingly just about shaded it last night.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that all the Tories have left is to throw as much shit as possible and hope some of it sticks. The "£2,000 " allegation may have been undermined by the facts this morning but for many, it will stick.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My wife isn't that engaged with politics and she said she learnt nothing new of value whatsoever from last night's debate.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Same old Tories, always lying.

LBC’s political correspondent just said that Labour at the event last night distributed their document with their “lies” about £70b of unfunded Tory tax cuts eg the abolition of IHT.

LBC’s point was that this was already getting dirty on taxation, lies by both main parties.

Leaving just the Green’s who are honest?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think that all the Tories have left is to throw as much shit as possible and hope some of it sticks. The "£2,000 " allegation may have been undermined by the facts this morning but for many, it will stick.
If this country can vote for Brexit on the lies they told for that, then a tactic of just lie it doesn't matter is probably not a bad one.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
I want to make it quite clear that the female referee showed unconscious bias by allowing Sunak out of his technical area far more often than Starmer. However, I’m sure that once FFP around the £2000 has been investigated fully, a 3-1 victory to Starmer will be confirmed by the electorate.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
My wife isn't that engaged with politics and she said she learnt nothing new of value whatsoever from last night's debate.
I did, it was just a political reality tv game and I feel vindicated in avoiding all of them. I won’t be watching the re match

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Same here, I know Labour have great policies and the Tories are liars. I learnt nothing from last night.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Interesting to know that Labour had given the £2k claims enough thought to bother writing to the Treasury for clarification in advance of the debate. They had the response and could have given Kier a copy to get out of his pocket in advance of the debate, but they didn't and it took Starmer a while to tackle it. This means that they either fouled up by not properly briefing Starmer on the truth in advance of the debate, or that it was a deliberate tactic to stall their response to give Sunak enough rope to hang himself by repeating the lie again and again. They could then label him as untrustworthy after the debate.

As usual with politicians, cock up seems far more likely than 3D chess, but the effect may end up being the same. Last night's happy noises from the Conservatives at Sunak seemingly shading the debate are starting to sound a bit like Ninian Park's stadium announcer telling fans to stay off the pitch to allow the lap of honour just before Stoke equalised in the final minute of their 2002 play off semi-final. (Not nearly as funny though).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It looks like Starmer has given Sunak more than enough rope to hang himself. Suspect the opening gambit for the next debate from Starmer will be pointing out that Sunak lied his arse off and will hold up the letter from the treasury as proof. Better to lose the first debate and to win the second, as it looks like sunak has used most of his ammo in the first.
Nailed it.

I was surprised that Starmer didn't push back on Sunak's claims of a £2k tax hike straight away, as just sounded like typical scaremongering bollocks (which I remarked at the time to the doris). Sunak then got VERY excited when it appeared Starmer had nothing to counter against this claim, so went on to repeat it another 7 times to make sure he hammered it home so it would get top billing in the headlines. He couldn't wait to keep blurting it out.

All the time, Starmer had that letter from the Treasury in his back pocket proving that Sunak was lying through his teeth. And he left it till right near the end before briefly mentioning that the Tories £38bn black hole claim, equating to £2k for every household, was bobbins. Now that the truth is out, in hindsight its almost a Columbo moment. "Oh...just one more thing..."

Its still a gamble, because a lot of thickets might still have taken this "Labour will cost you an extra £2k a year in tax" lie at face value, without seeing or understanding the follow-up. But anyone with half a brain will see how the snake-oil salesman has run his mouth off with a blatant lie, and hopefully bear this in mind when it comes to the ballot box. As you rightly say, Starmer gave him the rope with which to hang himself, and patiently waited.

If that was indeed the plan then it worked. He needs to drive this home in the next debate.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
As much as I've always dislike the Tories they have taken it to new lows in the last 10 years. Its like they have absolutely no problem in spouting all sorts of nonsense and trying to make it fact. Got worse under Johnson and now they just seem to be carrying it on.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
If this country can vote for Brexit on the lies they told for that, then a tactic of just lie it doesn't matter is probably not a bad one.
It took 6 months to prove the brexit bus was a lie. This has been debunked in less that 12 hrs.

If all the tories have is lie and hope to get away with it then that is a huge worry for the nation as a whole.

Sunak said he would bring integrity back to politics but all he has done it shown he is just like johnson (or worse in that he pretends to be different)

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Sunak won the debate hands down in my opinion. No contest. I know who I'd like to be running the country.
So do I, unfortunately not an option. Both the parties have claimed they wont touch tax or NI, but I'm not sure how long for. In any case, I can't see it making much difference to me. I'd really like to hear about things that will help the lives of younger people and real environmental commitments. Angry, shouty people don't interest me and I didn't watch this "debate", like most people. Most governments seem to have cost me 2K, it's just noise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here