Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Wars: Episode 7

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sorry if I've missed it earlier in the thread, but what exactly are they going to do? Use old Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill etc? Or have youngsters playing their characters?

Just read up on it - Episode 7 is set 40 years later, so pretty much perfect actually.

They have said nothing about how they intend to approach the story. There are rumours that George Lucas has provided them with an outline for 3 new films, but luckily they have the right (now they own it all) to bin that and come up with something better.

It would be cool if Mark Hamill could appear (even as a cameo) as an old wise Luke, similar to Ben / Obi Wan in Ep 4, to provide continuity. By then there any be a new Jedi movement in place, with a new threat to the force.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Apparently SWVII (ooh, I might copyright that if its not too late), is being created by the same production team that brought you Avengers: Assemble, which I thought was DECENT.

I think we have to accept that whatever comes out of those gates, the surprise and delight our generation of 30-and-40 somethings experienced when the original trilogy his the screens can never, EVER be recreated. Whizbang special effects are completely routine now, whereas in the 70's it was genuinely JAWDROPPING, and the fact that a lot of the effects from SWIV still look pretty good these days is a testament to what an incredible leap they were at the time. Thats one aspect that can never be topped.

So we'll take the special effects as a gimmie in this. They'll be brilliant. What will define whether SWVII it a worthy addition to the original trilogy is good characters who we really pull for, the development of those characters, a truly iconic villain, some exciting and imaginative set pieces, and most importantly of all good old fashioned scriptwriting - which was NEVER a Lucas strength, some of the horrendous stilted dialogue his later efforts contained had me rolling my eyes down the aisle.

So contrary to the OP, I actually have high hopes for this. They need to keep it in tune with the originals, but they also have the opportunity to step up to the plate and give us something special, something with better, more snappy dialogue and (christ) better acting would be handy too.

Oh, and lets have Quentin Tarantino direct it.

Solo: "Hey Fett, throw me my lightsaber"
Fett: "Which one is it ?"
Solo: "The one that says 'Bad Mothafucka' "

(a little sneak preview for you there)

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Apparently SWVII (ooh, I might copyright that if its not too late), is being created by the same production team that brought you Avengers: Assemble, which I thought was DECENT.

I was unawae that it had been announced that the Marvel arm was taking this project? Where is that from?

I thought they intended to treat Lucas in the same way they have with Marvel - i.e. let them do their stuff with as little interference as possible. I'm very excited at the prospect of letting some of the current crop of talented screen writers onto Star Wars though, as well as the pick of the best directors.

It's a massive challenge, but after the prequels, it's not as though anyone risks ruining the franchise - it's more of a chance to save it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was unawae that it had been announced that the Marvel arm was taking this project? Where is that from?

I thought they intended to treat Lucas in the same way they have with Marvel - i.e. let them do their stuff with as little interference as possible. I'm very excited at the prospect of letting some of the current crop of talented screen writers onto Star Wars though, as well as the pick of the best directors.

It's a massive challenge, but after the prequels, it's not as though anyone risks ruining the franchise - it's more of a chance to save it.

I heard it on 5-Live last night, in response to similar cries of concern from the fanboys. They'll be staying faithful to the original style of Star Wars, but bringing it more up-to-date, and mention was made of the excellent job they did with Avengers: Assemble as a direct pointer to how good this could be.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
swsnowwhite.jpg

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm rather excited by this. It's inevitable that someone was going to make another Star Wars at some point and I'm relieved Lucas isn't the man at the helm. He's a genius but out of touch with everything other than the technical side of filmmaking. Look at the mess he made of the last Indiana Jones despite having Spielberg at his side.

Hopefully Disney will be able to mix a story, characters and dialogue into the franchise again and yes, bring balance to the Force.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Agreed - that's why I'm optimistic. A GOOD trilogy now would really round out the series perfectly.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Which ones stick out most for you? Could be a separate discussion in itself...

Well firstly there is the Darth Vadar hunting down and destroying the Jedi, not crossing the road to the jedis r us superstore all handily located for your genocidle needs. Secondly the whole Kenobi being at the birth, should never of happened. Thirdly death star nearly finished, do me a favour. I could go on all day, alas I have to work.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Wasnt the heir to the empire trilogy by timothy zahn the official sequels to IV V VI?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Well firstly there is the Darth Vadar hunting down and destroying the Jedi, not crossing the road to the jedis r us superstore all handily located for your genocidle needs. Secondly the whole Kenobi being at the birth, should never of happened. Thirdly death star nearly finished, do me a favour. I could go on all day, alas I have to work.

Some of them I liked - like the CGI young version of Tarkin we see at the end of RoTS.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Sorry if I've missed it earlier in the thread, but what exactly are they going to do? Use old Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill etc? Or have youngsters playing their characters?

Just read up on it - Episode 7 is set 40 years later, so pretty much perfect actually.
I'd be very surprised if they don't line up Mark Hamill for an older Jedi Master role. Its definately going to be about the Skywalkers. But I think there is more chance of Gus playing two strikers as strikers on Friday, as there is Harrison Ford coming back as Han Solo.

Should be good.

I don't understand all the negativaty. If people don't like the idea of it, don't watch them simple.

Its not like they've got you over a barrel like football clubs.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
I've been having this re-occurring daymare of that talentless **** MONKEY Ryan Reynolds wise cracking and baring his chest at every opportunity in the new films !!The good thing about this is the fact that now George Lucas his relinquished his grip and passed it on to someone with more writing talent we actually could have a whole host of talented directors lining up to make the new films.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
George lucas always said there were nine films, i will watch the new ones with interest. but then i quite enjoyed episode 1,2 and 3. not as good as the original but then I wasn't 7 when i saw them.

Lucas is a revisionist who changes his mind and history of star wars. i wish i could find it but there was an interview mid-90's that he had an outline idea for a sequel to Star Wars that might work into a triology. The first 3 films are later invention, they dont fit, have gapping plot holes, and are heavily padded to fit a trilogy format. once the next three are made he will say there were always 12...

... I mean the Ewok battle on Endor in Return of the Jedi is probably the most embarrassing sequence of action in the entire 6 films made so far!

its not great, but the worst of all 6? you clearly forget the contrived end battle of Attack of the Clones or most of the RotS. or most of Phantom Menace. really in general the big battle scenes have been too big and a bit shit.

interesting point about how ESB grows on you as you get older, i would give it a miss when young.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Watched Skyfall last night. The 23rd film in the Bond franchise and with a bit of a reboot it turns out to be one of the best. Could be the same with new Star Wars. My problem is that Disney are involved and cant recall the last film I enjoyed that was backed by them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i quite enjoyed episode 1,2 and 3. not as good as the original but then I wasn't 7 when i saw them.
Likewise. Our age group don't fully allow for the difference between watching the originals when we were kids, vs the prequels when we were adults. Jar Jar was annoying, but I expect I'd have found c3po annoying if I'd been an adult when I saw episode 4. As it was, I was a kid, and loved it all (and still do). What I dislike most about the prequels is Hayden Christensen, and the shit effort of copying the chemistry between Hans and Leia.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Watched Skyfall last night. The 23rd film in the Bond franchise and with a bit of a reboot it turns out to be one of the best. Could be the same with new Star Wars. My problem is that Disney are involved and cant recall the last film I enjoyed that was backed by them.
Word.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think you might be looking a bit to literally at it. Anakin only killed the younglings in the temple and a few Jedi's, the rest are all fighting out in the galaxy where many are turned on by the clones. Who knows if a few remaining ones were hunted down inbetween III & IV, and even so that is taken Obi Wans words to Luke very literally given he also omitted mentioning Vader was his father!

I kind of agree on the Death Star. From it being destroyed in IV, it is fairly advanced in VI and supposedly only 5 years or so has passed. If it's well under way at the end of III, it's taken 18 years or so to complete and test it's fully operational on Alderaan in IV. Perhaps they had the Wembley Stadium contractors involved on the first death star? Maybe once they'd built one, it was a lot easier to build the second? But then why build a second with such a susceptible weakness as the first one anyway? Christ, you've twice built a space station as big as a planet, and twice you've allowed it to be completely destroyed by a fighter or two? I mean, once is unfortunate, but second time is just careless. He can sit there with his yellow eyes and bad skin complexion, but what the Emperor had in control over the dark side, he lacked in attention to detail.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you didnt enjoy Pirates of the Caribbean or anything from Pixar?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here