Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Wars: Episode 7

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think it's good news, there's plenty of good material in the Expanded Universe and even if they do turn out to suck as bad as Episode 1 then (and no matter how much I might have enjoyed the original trilogy) they're just films, nobody's going to force me to watch them more than once.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Likewise. Our age group don't fully allow for the difference between watching the originals when we were kids, vs the prequels when we were adults. Jar Jar was annoying, but I expect I'd have found c3po annoying if I'd been an adult when I saw episode 4. As it was, I was a kid, and loved it all (and still do). What I dislike most about the prequels is Hayden Christensen, and the shit effort of copying the chemistry between Hans and Leia.

Hayden Christensen was an awful choice for the dark lord of the sith,he acted it like DV was a whiny teenager with a crush. I felt the last film was too rushed you can't tell the tragedy of Anakins transformation into Darth Vader in the last hour of the film and the love story was about as romantic as telling your spouse she might have syphilis because you've been banging dirty whores.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
interesting point about how ESB grows on you as you get older, i would give it a miss when young.

It's because really it's the only one that is tinged with real despair and a sense of the good side taking a right kicking. There were no major battles, it was personal, vindictive, and darkly emotional. I watched it again recently with my 6 yr old, and I was engrossed once again.

I think Lucas had gotten ESB started prior to fully realising how much would be made from merchandising of the series. Once he realised how much he could make from toys and shit, suddenly RofJ is all Ewoks, and set pieces perfect for selling stuff. Lets face it, PM was about a 9 yr old boy, and was made for a 9 yr old audience. I think I'm right in saying Han should have been killed in VI, but Lucas apparently said "dead Han toys won't sell as well..."

Anyone watch all the Clone Wars cartoon series? Me and my son love them!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Doubt it will be a match for Police Academy 7: Mission to Moscow.
I'm sometimes glad to be 37 and out of the loop of what seems to be reprocessed crud.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hayden Christensen was an awful choice for the dark lord of the sith
I'd have liked Wes Bentley (American Beauty).

the love story was about as romantic as telling your spouse she might have syphilis because you've been banging dirty whores.
How did that go by the way?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why does the Death Star in III have to be the same one as in IV? Maybe there are more than one?

You would have thought that Han, galaxy wide smuggler, and Princess Leia, member of the Imperial Senate, wouldn't have been that surprised when following a tie fighter to a small moon......wait a minute......that's no moon.......it's a space station - if they were 2 a penny?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Lets face it, PM was about a 9 yr old boy, and was made for a 9 yr old audience.

i've always quite liked Phantom Menace, JarJar and a few bits aside. its a story worth telling and basically works. its the whole transition from there to Darth Vader that doesnt work too well, ultimatly ruined by Obi Wan not putting the boot in when Aniken is there dismembered but still very much alive. he's supposed to be so potentially powerfull, you've seen what he's capable of, you don't turn away job half done. stupid.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Well firstly there is the Darth Vadar hunting down and destroying the Jedi, not crossing the road to the jedis r us superstore all handily located for your genocidle needs. Secondly the whole Kenobi being at the birth, should never of happened. Thirdly death star nearly finished, do me a favour. I could go on all day, alas I have to work.

Lets face it there are more plot holes in all 6 films than there are coherant story lines. Who would let an untrained pilot attack the death star? Why doesn't the tracker beam on the death star have dual power supplies? How come Luke manages to land in yoda's front garden with a whole planet to aim for in Empire? What was the tendering process for the death star? Why wouldn't portman, the star wars equivalent in political views to Polly toynbee dump Anakin when he commits mass murder in episode 2? How come the jedi are so thick they dont notice that the emperer is actually the dark lord of the sith?

One thing i do know is that Lucas made it all up as he went along but pretended he knew the outcome all along. I am amazed they have lasted the test of time. Something like the matrix hasnt because 2 and 3 were shithouse.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
i've always quite liked Phantom Menace, JarJar and a few bits aside. its a story worth telling and basically works. its the whole transition from there to Darth Vader that doesnt work too well, ultimatly ruined by Obi Wan not putting the boot in when Aniken is there dismembered but still very much alive. he's supposed to be so potentially powerfull, you've seen what he's capable of, you don't turn away job half done. stupid.

It doesn't quite fit with this quote either..."I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master."......

With both his legs burnt off, an arm missing, I don't think he was leaving anyone at that point! Perhaps he meant metaphorically leaving, as in the point at which he turned. Still funny to remember that when you meet again rather than being left burning to death in hot lava...

Perhaps the quote should have been remastered as:

"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the burner; now *I* am the master."......

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lets face it there are more plot holes in all 6 films than there are coherant story lines. Who would let an untrained pilot attack the death star? Why doesn't the tracker beam on the death star have dual power supplies? How come Luke manages to land in yoda's front garden with a whole planet to aim for in Empire? What was the tendering process for the death star? Why wouldn't portman, the star wars equivalent in political views to Polly toynbee dump Anakin when he commits mass murder in episode 2? How come the jedi are so thick they dont notice that the emperer is actually the dark lord of the sith?

One thing i do know is that Lucas made it all up as he went along but pretended he knew the outcome all along. I am amazed they have lasted the test of time. Something like the matrix hasnt because 2 and 3 were shithouse.

The first Matrix has though, still really love that first film. The whole premise, the acting, the tight pvc suit, great plot, did I mention the tight pvc suit?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Watched Skyfall last night. The 23rd film in the Bond franchise and with a bit of a reboot it turns out to be one of the best. Could be the same with new Star Wars. My problem is that Disney are involved and cant recall the last film I enjoyed that was backed by them.

Did you not enjoy The Avengers (Assemble)?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
ultimatly ruined by Obi Wan not putting the boot in when Aniken is there dismembered but still very much alive. he's supposed to be so potentially powerfull, you've seen what he's capable of, you don't turn away job half done. stupid.
That seems to happen in every other film. Knock someone down, then turn your back on them. Finish the f***ing job! At least with Obi Wan, it was a friend he was fighting, so you could understand he didn't want to kill him (mistake though, I grant you). I still liked the prequels though. Not great films by any means, and should have been so much better, but I love SW.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Dont see a problem with disney doing it. John Carter was pretty good. May be the end of the shit dialogue that plagues the franchise.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lets face it there are more plot holes in all 6 films than there are coherant story lines. Who would let an untrained pilot attack the death star?
We sent pilots to war with Germany after they'd had 15 hours in a plane. Luke had a lot more flying experience. And, if I remember correctly, the force was strong with that one.

How come Luke manages to land in yoda's front garden with a whole planet to aim for in Empire?
He was guided by the force. Duh.
What was the tendering process for the death star?
:lolol:
How come the jedi are so thick they dont notice that the emperer is actually the dark lord of the sith?
Hard to see, the dark side is.
I am amazed they have lasted the test of time. Something like the matrix hasnt because 2 and 3 were shithouse.
The Matrix was a decent film, but that's all. Star Wars was different to anything that had been made before, it was 3 films, and it captured the imagination of a generation. Who thought it wouldn't last the test of time?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here