Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Staff bull terriers, time to ban them being pets

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Dog breeds which have history of attacks on children should all be banned as pets, thay have no value or use!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some blame the owners, some blame the dogs. I think they're both in it together so I'd ban both.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Dog breeds which have history of attacks on children should all be banned as pets, thay have no value or use!

Well you'd have to ban every breed then (& inter-bred dogs) - as there will have been instances of attacks from all varieties over the years. ???

I'm firmly in the 'crap owners are to blame' camp. Frankly, I wouldn't trust the buggers to look after a GERBIL without it turning into a major disaster.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Staffies are one of the most common dog breeds for biting in Oz.

And sounds like that just like in England the chav or Australian version the bogan have adopted them as their choice of breed.

I don't really like or trust any breed of dogs that were orginally bred for baiting or fighting.

Not even a fan of the guard breeds of dogs.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Well you'd have to ban every breed then (& inter-bred dogs) - as there will have been instances of attacks from all varieties over the years. ???

I'm firmly in the 'crap owners are to blame' camp. Frankly, I wouldn't trust the buggers to look after a GERBIL without it turning into a major disaster.

I am now seeing Gerbil (poster) with a neck choker being taken for a walk as a trophy pet. Would he attack?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Isn't that a GOOD thing? That they're essentially walking around trying to look hard with the dog equivalent of Ronnie Corbett?

Not really no. The Staff was bred originally for Bull Baiting hence whilst it has short legs it has a large head complete with big powerful jaws and it has a servere bite if it wants to do so. It's a very strong animal so don't be taken in by it's short stature. It can do just as much damage as a Rottweiler if it wants.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i have known loads of staffies and have never met an aggressive one , it all depends on how the dog is raised and trained.............if it's an american staffie it will be interbred with the pit bull and will be much bigger and aggressive than a regular staffie.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It wasn't a Staffie. Staffies are great . Friendly ,loyal and soppy. I makes me cross when. I see arseholes using them as trophy dogs. The eaiest way to piss of owners like this is to make a fuss of their dogs and get them all waggy tailed and happy. Not so hard now are you ?

That's so true, I always make a fuss of Staffs and recently I almost had a fight with a chav who objected to me making a fuss of his (sadly for him, happily for the rest of society) very friendly Staff.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Dogs are only aggressive if they are trained to be, my Black labby got attacked by a staffy a few years back and you could tell the owner of it was a complete wanker.
My dog is protective of me but would never attack anyone unprovoked.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you ban Staffies, the chavs will go onto another dog of choice. Alsations, Dobermans, Labradors, Collies can all do a fair bit of damage if trained to do so.

The correct answer was given by someone earlier - either have a dog or a child under 10 - not both.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
i have known loads of staffies and have never met an aggressive one , it all depends on how the dog is raised and trained.............if it's an american staffie it will be interbred with the pit bull and will be much bigger and aggressive than a regular staffie.

My ex wife had a dirty great big Pit Bull which wasn't tought to fight like so many there. He was actually quite friendly but not to be messed with. One day a neighbour's alsation wandered into the yard and said Pit, although chained up, killed it.

Bloody good guard dog though.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
That's so true, I always make a fuss of Staffs and recently I almost had a fight with a chav who objected to me making a fuss of his (sadly for him, happily for the rest of society) very friendly Staff.

Ohhhh - the irony.. :(

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
it sounds like they were breeding dogs with some banned breed in them. this is very common but they will be destroyed if discovered.

real staffs are nothing like pit bulls, american bulldogs or other bull breeds. that said though for all the 'oh jack russells attack kids' or 'dont leave kids alone with ANY DOG' statements, staffs are more dangerous than your average dog.

they are animals and can turn. i would not have anything like that around a kid of under 10 full stop. kids are daft too, but they are more important than dogs.

That about somes it up, if a kid decides to play with the family pet and gets a bit silly its only a matter of time before he/she gets bitten

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That about somes it up, if a kid decides to play with the family pet and gets a bit silly its only a matter of time before he/she gets bitten

Not necessarily, I have an English Setter and he can be poked, stroked, pinched and prodded but would never respond aggressively.

Having said that, I have to agree that some people use dogs as violent fashion accessories.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Rather than ban anything, just muzzle up the dog when kids are around(at the house) , no matter how well the dog is brought up it has the potential to strike at any moment. Or you could put kids and dogs in seperate rooms

Good idea, provided the kids are hog tied as well as muzzled first. Kids get free passage on London Transport and they are a pain in the arse. Why is it they need to play loud music then try to have a conversation over the top of it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here