Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Squatters' Protest

BBC News - of Brighton home empty since 1979

18 October 2011

'Scandal' of Brighton home empty since 1979

The only occupants of a three-bedroomed family home in Brighton are the foxes in the overgrown, rubble-strewn garden.

The city council, which has 13,372 people on its housing waiting list, said the two-storey Victorian house has been empty since 1979 - the year Margaret Thatcher became prime minister.

Neighbours are frustrated at the state of 87 Chester Terrace and even the leader of the city council has said he is angry.

Yet numerous attempts by the council to force the owner, Derek Burns, to sell or improve it have failed.

'Waste of resources'

"Seeing and living next to the derelict property is a constant reminder about the huge shame that it is empty," said neighbour Julia Powell.

"There is also the waste of public resources and the huge amount of effort and energy that has been put into trying to get the owners to reoccupy it."

Chester Terrace is one of 933 homes in Brighton and Hove which have been empty for more than six months, according to the Empty Homes Agency, which campaigns to bring empty properties back into use.

Across Sussex, 5,500 homes are standing empty.

"The real scandal is not just this house but that we have actually got 300,000 other homes like this across England," said David Ireland, chief executive of the Empty Homes Agency.

"At a time when house building is at its lowest rate since the 1920s, we have really got to make better use of the houses we have."

Grant of £55,000

The council's involvement with 87 Chester Terrace began in 1979 when neighbours began complaining about the state of it.

Mr Burns was twice prosecuted over its condition and a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) was obtained by the council in 1996 after a public inquiry.

Mr Burns told the inquiry the house had been in his family since it was built in the 1860s and that he was born there.

He claimed he lived in it on and off until 1983 when he had to leave because conditions were harming his health.

But the council never enacted the CPO, instead agreeing to give Mr Burns a grant of £55,000 to carry out refurbishments.

The work was never completed and the council is now attempting to obtain another CPO.

Mr Burns was asked by BBC South East to put his side of the case but declined.

His only comment was: "Talk to the council."

City council leader, the Green Party's Bill Randall, a former chair of Shelter's National Housing Aid Trust, said he was angry the house was still empty.

"It is not good for a house like this to be left empty this long," he said.

"It has been empty for a variety of reasons.

"One, the procedure for bringing it back into use is difficult.

"Two, there have been a lot of broken promises from Mr Burns.

"Three, I don't think previous councils have shown the political will to deal with this.

"We are looking at it again and there is a public inquiry coming up - we hope - into the compulsory purchase.

"This isn't a procedure we invented. There is no other way we can do it. We can't simply turf the man out of his house.

"But this house being empty for this length of time is an insult to every homeless and badly-housed family in Brighton and Hove."

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
How in the world of anything is squatting ever right!!!!
So the squatters justification is that if the property is vacant for a while they can force entry and take control and claim it as their home!........So fvcking wrong!
And if the owner tries to forcibly remove them, he/she is in the wrong?????
Owner has to spend thousands going through the courts to get them out of his/hers own property!!!!
If anything sums up the phrase 'the law is an ass'...this is it!
If I found something in the street and just said "Fvck it this is mine now"......I could be nicked for theft by finding unless I take reasonable steps to find the rightfull owner and then return the property to them!
Now....I find a house unoccupied, I break in, say "Fvck it this is mine now", do bugger all to contact the rightfull owner......I get protected by law, have rights and the rightfull owner has to go to court to get his property back!!!
Great eh!

well the rich landowners started it in the 16th Century by essentially enclosing common land and saying this is mine, get lost you commoners with your ideas of commonly owned land.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I was not referring to the criminal act of theft but the general principle of denying possession from a rightful owner.

....which squatting does not do. anyway you look at it it is not theft.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have known squatters who take pride in looking after, or even improving, the property they are occupying.

Squatting is important for society, it significantly reduces homelessness. It's just unfortunate, like many other things, that the disrespectful ruin everything for everyone else.

I've seen this argument time and time again but nobody can ever back it up with some facts. How many squatters would actually be homeless if they didn't squat ?

I can assure you many people who own second houses don't work, and many people who don't work can't work

The people who own third, fourth, and fifth houses and so on certainly don't work

It depends on what you think is fair I suppose

What a load of bollocks !!!!!! I know quite a lot of people with a number of properties and they all work - that's how they afford the mortgages ! Indeed I used to have a second home which I paid for, I decorated and I paid the upkeep for - exactly what right do people then have to steal it from me ?

Your posts appear to be more about the politics of envy than any real desire to find squatters real homes ( which they would pay for ).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here