Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Squatters' Protest

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
http://www.hreoc.gov.au/human_rights/housing/homelessness_2008.html#3

3. What are some of the causes of homelessness?

Just as there are many different ways in which a person can be affected by homelessness, there are many different causes of homelessness. Poverty and the inability to afford adequate housing are central to the causes of homelessness. These circumstances may result from a number of different experiences, including long-term or short-term unemployment, debt and other financial pressures, and housing market pressures, such as rising rental and house prices and the lack of public housing.

Financial difficulty is often accompanied by other personal or family problems, such as family breakdown, domestic violence, poor physical and mental health, substance and other addictions. The inability to cope with combinations of these problems can push individuals and families even closer to the edge.

Even before a person becomes homeless, they may be living at the margins of the society, with few connections to family and the community. Social isolation can mean that they lack the necessary support to assist them through periods of stress and help them manage ongoing problems.

i thought about all this after my comment, which is why i edited it.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I understand perfectly what you're saying, I just think it's misguided, to think that the problems with housing are a reason squatting is bad. For a start they are clearly related situations, and new anti-squatting laws will do nothing to help people who cannot get homes.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree here, Moving on then to a different point I just don't see how taking something you haven't earn't or been given is wrong. I don't believe the whole I went on holiday and came back garbage though and if it does happen it'll be a minority and not something you can blame all squatters for, However if you own something whether you use it or not whether it was handed down to you by your parents or not you own it and it is yours to do with what you like.

You may say it's different but it's the general point that say my dad for arguments sake has an old motorbike in his garage, It was given to him by his grandad in his will, It doesn't work, He hasn't gone near it in 25 years and it's covered in cobwebs. Is it ok for someone who doesn't have one to go and take the bike? Thereby forcing my dad to pay massive legal fee's and months of stress to get his old grandads bike back?

6,723 privately owned homes were reported as being empty for more than 6 months across Sussex in 2007. I believe the numbers have increased since then.

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/downloads/bhcc/SEHF_Empty_Homes_Strategic_Framework_2008-2011_[PDF_1533kb].pdf

People who are arguing that it is somehow immoral to seize empty houses from private owners may be interested to know that the Council is planning to do exactly that, using powers known as “empty dwelling management orders”.

Homes left empty face seizure From The Argus)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I guess we will have to agree to disagree here, Moving on then to a different point I just don't see how taking something you haven't earn't or been given is wrong. I don't believe the whole I went on holiday and came back garbage though and if it does happen it'll be a minority and not something you can blame all squatters for, However if you own something whether you use it or not whether it was handed down to you by your parents or not you own it and it is yours to do with what you like.

You may say it's different but it's the general point that say my dad for arguments sake has an old motorbike in his garage, It was given to him by his grandad in his will, It doesn't work, He hasn't gone near it in 25 years and it's covered in cobwebs. Is it ok for someone who doesn't have one to go and take the bike? Thereby forcing my dad to pay massive legal fee's and months of stress to get his old grandads bike back?

A motorbike is not a basic necessity though is it? We are talking here about shelter, a basic need.

The fact that some buildings stand empty for years while people are sleeping on the streets is surely a waste. That shelter is not being used while someone needs it.

It would seem (from the small amount of research I have just done) that many squatters have fallen on hard times and are left with little choice but to squat. I accept that some are not in this situation and these are the ones that cause the knee-jerk reactions witnessed on here, maybe these are the ones we know about as most squatters go about it quietly and without much disturbance as is suggested in the BBC article.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
A motorbike is not a basic necessity though is it? We are talking here about shelter, a basic need.

The fact that some buildings stand empty for years while people are sleeping on the streets is surely a waste. That shelter is not being used while someone needs it.

It would seem (from the small amount of research I have just done) that many squatters have fallen on hard times and are left with little choice but to squat. I accept that some are not in this situation and these are the ones that cause the knee-jerk reactions witnessed on here, maybe these are the ones we know about as most squatters go about it quietly and without much disturbance as is suggested in the BBC article.

Not every house squaters use is empty though and it is the owners right to do with it what they want they may have plans at some point they might be raising the cash to make said abode rentable or whatever. Yes the squatters needs to be housed but they should head to the council offices, look to public shelters or apply for the laws to be changed to allow them to be given a roof above there heads. Half of Newhaven for example is disused warehouses and its the same all over the country or if they are in need and unable to get a job they should apply for benifits.

These people are not bad people in the main just fallen on hard times, and it's these people the benifits system is for. Instead of breaking into peoples houses having parties they should be lobbying for council accomidation and pull themselves out of the hole their in. I'm sure someone would employ them somewhere even as labourers and work their way up.

You can't just take. You have to be a part of the fix not the problem.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not every house squaters use is empty though and it is the owners right to do with it what they want they may have plans at some point they might be raising the cash to make said abode rentable or whatever. Yes the squatters needs to be housed but they should head to the council offices, look to public shelters or apply for the laws to be changed to allow them to be given a roof above there heads. Half of Newhaven for example is disused warehouses and its the same all over the country or if they are in need and unable to get a job they should apply for benifits.

These people are not bad people in the main just fallen on hard times, and it's these people the benifits system is for. Instead of breaking into peoples houses having parties they should be lobbying for council accomidation and pull themselves out of the hole their in. I'm sure someone would employ them somewhere even as labourers and work their way up.

You can't just take. You have to be a part of the fix not the problem.

I am not sure it is as easy as just going out and getting a job or applying for benefits. otherwise I am guessing that most would just do that.

Haven't got time to research that just now.

Not sure if the government can afford everyone to go and sign on!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/16/squatting-law-reforms-taxpayer

"The government should spend their energy and resources actually tackling homelessness. Their proposal to criminalise the homeless who seek shelter in an empty building comes with a hefty price tag running into millions, which is ironic when this bill is all about trying to make savings. The homeless will suffer further, homeowners will get no more protection than they have now and derelict empty properties will stay that way."

Baroness Sue Miller

Last edited:

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
Hate em, theyre scum as far as im concerned, get a job, rent a flat, like the rest of us.....

yeah, pay 30% tax that goes to bankers, pay council tax that goes to europe, pay bills so corps get large profits, shop in tesco's, have a tosser boss, yeah, scumbags.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
why do so many on here who "work" think they are better than others?

work is not just working for a boss, it could be developing ideas, thinking, being creative, or working on ones self. a taxable wage is not the only way to work.

most jobs now do little to improve society, people, or the planet, in fact, most, hinder it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

work is not just working for a boss, it could be developing ideas, thinking, being creative, or working on ones self. a taxable wage is not the only way to work.

most jobs now do little to improve society, people, or the planet, in fact, most, hinder it.

Because alternative lifestyles cannot be tolerated and everything comes back to the bottom line....money.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
totally agree [MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION]

most people who "work" spend most of their lives "working" then fill the rest with entertainment - hmmm, authenticity levels in this, for me, are low.

they can carry on, but should try and refrain from calling other lifestyles scum. it makes it look like people's subconscious minds are pissed off and need to attack any others lives who are more "free."

if one came to this planet "consciously," as an adult, looked down on it, and had free choice, would anyone choose to "work" for a boss, pay tax (that goes to banks) and bills (that create mass profit for corps)?

i know the answer to this, but it seems many on here have never even thought about it or buried it deep in the subconscious.

one does not have to borrow 100k and pay back 300k (a mortgage) to be a decent person. sigh.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
totally agree [MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION]

most people who "work" spend most of their lives "working" then fill the rest with entertainment - hmmm, authenticity levels in this, for me, are low.

they can carry on, but should try and refrain from calling other lifestyles scum. it makes it look like people's subconscious minds are pissed off and need to attack any others lives who are more "free."

if one came to this planet "consciously," as an adult, looked down on it, and had free choice, would anyone choose to "work" for a boss, pay tax (that goes to banks) and bills (that create mass profit for corps)?

i know the answer to this, but it seems many on here have never even thought about it or buried it deep in the subconscious.

one does not have to borrow 100k and pay back 300k (a mortgage) to be a decent person. sigh.

I met some of the hardest working, inspirational and interesting people of my life while on the dole, living alternative lifestyles (often in squats).

Many people who have been dole scroungers have gone onto contribute a huge amount to society. Oasis, Jk Rowling spring to mind but I am sure the list goes on and on. That is not to mention artists, musicians, writers, thinkers and philosophers throughout history.

I for one admire and applaud anyone who has the determination and balls to live an alternative lifestyle and for me they are less of a drain and offer more to society than the banks and corporations at the other end of the scale.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield

Ah, well they don't really "work" do they? We're all pretending :_)

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I am not sure it is as easy as just going out and getting a job or applying for benefits. otherwise I am guessing that most would just do that.

Haven't got time to research that just now.

Not sure if the government can afford everyone to go and sign on!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/16/squatting-law-reforms-taxpayer

"The government should spend their energy and resources actually tackling homelessness. Their proposal to criminalise the homeless who seek shelter in an empty building comes with a hefty price tag running into millions, which is ironic when this bill is all about trying to make savings. The homeless will suffer further, homeowners will get no more protection than they have now and derelict empty properties will stay that way."

Baroness Sue Miller

Oh yeah I agree wholeheartedly. They should put up a few regonal centres, Large halls with camp beds and provisions (not exactly the grand I know but will keep people warm, safe and fed.) and work on people to get them into work or if they're unable to work for legitamate reasons the benifits system. Ignoring and looking down on the poor won't make them go away, but then that's the Tories all over.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
How in the world of anything is squatting ever right!!!!
So the squatters justification is that if the property is vacant for a while they can force entry and take control and claim it as their home!........So fvcking wrong!
And if the owner tries to forcibly remove them, he/she is in the wrong?????
Owner has to spend thousands going through the courts to get them out of his/hers own property!!!!
If anything sums up the phrase 'the law is an ass'...this is it!
If I found something in the street and just said "Fvck it this is mine now"......I could be nicked for theft by finding unless I take reasonable steps to find the rightfull owner and then return the property to them!
Now....I find a house unoccupied, I break in, say "Fvck it this is mine now", do bugger all to contact the rightfull owner......I get protected by law, have rights and the rightfull owner has to go to court to get his property back!!!
Great eh!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How in the world of anything is squatting ever right!!!!
So the squatters justification is that if the property is vacant for a while they can force entry and take control and claim it as their home!........So fvcking wrong!
And if the owner tries to forcibly remove them, he/she is in the wrong?????
Owner has to spend thousands going through the courts to get them out of his/hers own property!!!!
If anything sums up the phrase 'the law is an ass'...this is it!
If I found something in the street and just said "Fvck it this is mine now"......I could be nicked for theft by finding unless I take reasonable steps to find the rightfull owner and then return the property to them!
Now....I find a house unoccupied, I break in, say "Fvck it this is mine now", do bugger all to contact the rightfull owner......I get protected by law, have rights and the rightfull owner has to go to court to get his property back!!!
Great eh!

I don't think that leaving a property to rot empty for years and years while other people live on the streets is right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here