Yorkie said:
howard.jpg

I blame the groundsman at Old Trafford

Very clever :lolol: :lolol:

StevieV

Aug 13, 2003
Not amused. :censored: :censored: :censored:

**** of a decision.

Goddamn united, Goddamn the ref, the linesman all those fuckers.

Plaudits to the spurs lads and Jol for not going apeshit!

geoffreyp

Oct 4, 2004
rustington
must say that Jol took it on the chin in a way that Ferguson or Wenger would never have. As for using technology i'm all for it but think it has to be just for issues of ball crossing line. if it started being used for offsides and handballs the game could become farcical with constant interuptions. but in general am all for it. if i were a spurs player saturday i think i'd be tempted to have a shot from half way line at kick-offthat would get therir fans going for sure

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
Blimey, that was quick! :lol:

Ssshhhhh. I nicked it from the Palace board :lol:

Paxtonlad

Nov 13, 2003
Yorkie said:
howard.jpg

I blame the groundsman at Old Trafford

LOL! Brilliant!

From a Spurs fan's perspective (though I don't suppose that most will agree with me), I can't really blame the ref or the lino. I'm sure they didn't mean to make such a mistake and that they genuinely weren't sure whether the ball had crossed the line or not.

It's gutting for us in a way but, we've had decisions go our way this season too (though maybe not as obvious as this one!).

To be honest, I'm with Jol, Mendes, King and Robinson, who all chose to focus on the positives. We went to Old Trafford with a long list of injuries - especially to our two best strikers - and put on an excellent defensive display and gain a well earned point. It was a shame that Kanouté was injured because he would have enabled us to hold the ball up. As it was, we had no outlet up front and rarely threatened.

It could have been three, I know, but I'm delighted with the one point.

And looking forward to Saturday, hopefully with a bit more firepower up front!

I hope you enjoy your day, lads. But I hope you go home empty handed.

THFC

geoffreyp

Oct 4, 2004
rustington
not such a silly question really. at the end of the day spurs were cheated and he was actually the cheat. mind you if he had said it was in he would never have played for ferguson again.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hasn't been pointed out on here that the "shot" was a lob from INSIDE the spurs half.

Carroll caught then dropped the ball.

The linesman was positioned around the half way line and tried to leg it towards the goal.

Head down... !

It would have been very difficult for him to see what had happened from his point of view.

I think the referee would have had a better view.

I doubt whether something like this will happen again.

Roger Mellie

Sep 27, 2004
London SE1
clapham_gull said:
Hasn't been pointed out on here that the "shot" was a lob from INSIDE the spurs half.

Carroll caught then dropped the ball.

The linesman was positioned around the half way line and tried to leg it towards the goal.

Head down... !

It would have been very difficult for him to see what had happened from his point of view.

I think the referee would have had a better view.

I doubt whether something like this will happen again.

Errr rubbish. He was inside the Man U half by about 10 yards. The lino was rightly up with the last defender about 10 yards outside the box. The ball was in the air for f***ing ages and the lino was certainly in line with the edge of the box if not the penalty spot by the time it crossed the line. Wherever you were in the stadium or the country it was a goal by about 6ft i.e. the length of Carrols body as his boots were on the line when he scooped it out of the goal. It's one for the consiracy theorists alright but whatever the excuse the lino needs a P45

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sorry, maybe didn't see the footage clearly enough - but I'm sure on Match of the Day they showed the linesman attempting to leg it down the line and not getting anywhere near the line in time.

Just making the point that the linesman wasn't fast or fit enough and ran with his head down.

The linesman didn't miss it - he didn't even see it. Can't quite understand how the ref didn't see Caroll in the back of the net.

Quite funny actually.

Last edited:

Roger Mellie

Sep 27, 2004
London SE1
Thats alright CG - i'm just a bit pissed off as I would have picked up £150 if the goal had been given - you win some you lose some - BUT SACK THE FKING LINO. ahem.....

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Video replays/buzzers are a debate I'm not sure about. Yes, it would be fairer, but how much debate/post match pub banter would we lose?!?!

BUT - you cannot add goals after games. Even if they were in the last minute.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hope that after this incident cameras are brought in to specifically check whether the ball has crossed the line, and that officials who f*** up like this are disciplined for a minimum 28 days.

Sadly I suspect the FA will bottle out of taking any significant action.

However, I remember a similar incident about 20 years ago, where Palace / QPR scored a free-kick v Coventry (Tommy Langley or Clive Allen?) and the ball went over the line, hit the stanchion at the back of the goal and came back out so fast the ref and lino thought it had hit the post. Massive outcry, no action taken.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The fourth official CLEARLY saw the ball cross the line. What is the point of the fourth official ?

I don't think we need video cameras - stick an official on the goal line (like in Tennis), or have 2 referees - one in each half.

Introduce video cameras and it will give the players something else to moan to the referee about.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh come on guys, this game was played at Old Trafford why would an underachieving team who haven't won the title for eons be allowed to mess up United's season so early into the New Year.

Next you'll expect an away team to be given a penalty at Old Trafford before the end of the season.

Stick to watching our lower league stuff, you have no idea how the Premiership works :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here