Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports Personality 08 - the official betting thread

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Again on PaddyPower overseas winner. Usain Bolt 2/5 Micheal Pleps 9/4 Padraig Harrington 16/1 and at ( 25/1 Rafael Nadal and i doubt if you can get that now ? ) :bigwave:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
1. Lewis Hamilton- I'll eat my hat, if it aint him.

2. Chris Hoy

3. Rebecca Adlington.

I don't fancy tucking into my woolly hat when Lewis wins, but that would be my top three...think the jocko tennis boy has burnt his boats with his somewhat random comments about nationality, whilst many people admire his skill as a sportsman there are plenty who just regard him as an obnoxious prat.

As for the young sports personality, it should be the girl who did very well at Wimbledon last summer...but might go to the young swimmer from the paralympics...who is bloody amazing!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Andy Murray at 66/1 might be a value e/w bet or a place bet if they would take it. He's not going to beat the Hamilton or one of Hoy and Addlington but he could take 3rd. I suppose though that Hoy might take the scottish vote

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hold on a minute. What about Phil The Power Taylor, when will he get nominated?!

I think I'm right in saying the only time he was in the 10 nominees was two years ago when Zara Phillips won. And that was only because the year before the BBC didn't even invite him to the studio, Barry Hearn made a big fuss and they were trying to put it right.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a travesty that Taylor has not made the Top 3 ever considering he has an army of fans and has dominated his sport for nigh on 20 years. Not only that, but he is a model professional and one of the most sporting competitors I have ever seen.

How an artisitc gymnast can get third place in the year he won his 11th world championship in 12 years whitewashing Peter Manley 7-0 beggars belief.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's a travesty that Taylor has not made the Top 3 ever considering he has an army of fans and has dominated his sport for nigh on 20 years. Not only that, but he is a model professional and one of the most sporting competitors I have ever seen.

How an artisitc gymnast can get third place in the year he won his 11th world championship in 12 years whitewashing Peter Manley 7-0 beggars belief.

Because there are still many people who regard darts as a game not as a sport.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The last 2 years have resulted in shocks with big odds-on favourites getting turned over.

Darren "sympathy vote" Clarke in 2006 and Lewis Hamilton last year were both shoe-ins.

The BBC on-the-night audience submit a lot of votes based on BBC presentation and production. If I was a betting man, I'd be laying Motorsport in Betfair's Winning Sport market - buying yourself any winner other than Hamilton.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It'll be Hamilton without a doubt - not saying that's right though. I'm biased towards tennis but Murray has come on so far this year and proved to me he will be the best this country has seen. Hoy sou;ld get an honourable mention though.

This award is strange that it has no sporting reason or logic to it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hamilton or Adlington. You really couldn't complain if ANY of those won it because they've all done the business at the very highest level - showing dedication and overcoming the odds. Hamilton is not privileged (which marks him out from other drivers) and Adlington did her training in a 25m pool in Mansfield until barely a few years ago. Both defied the odds and are worthy winners. To be honest, in any other year you'd make a strong case for Hoy.

Andy Murray will win it next year when he is finally uttered in the same breath as the 3 world beaters.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Of those Adlington should win ahead of tax-dodger, drugs cheat, and hobbies.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Phil Taylor didn't even win the World Darts Championship this year so I can see why he hasn't been nominated this year but if there is some sort of outstanding achievement award he should certainly be in contention for that.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Between Hamilton and Hoy for me.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Shame the late Sir Stanley Rous isn't handing out the gong

Pissed myself in the 80's when he announced the winner as Barry McCochrane and handed it to a bemused and rightful recipient Barry McGuigan :ohmy:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Because there are still many people who regard darts as a game not as a sport.

It IS officially a sport. I think it's more to do with the politics of Taylor being PDC and the BBC being the channel for BDO, and the fact the Beeb pretend Taylor doesn't exist.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
No Mark Cavdendish...:nono:

Hopefully one of the cyclists gets it but its a bit of a joke - I'd imagine your average sports personality voter can't even tell you the events that Chris Hoy got his 3 golds in, let alone some of the others on there.

Its a joke that hes not even on the shortlist, he did in the tour de france what no other Brit has ever done, twice as good even.

The standard is very very this year to be fair, unlike the last 2 years which have been shit.

My prediction is

1 SUPER SUPER HEWIS LAMILTON
2 Chris Hoy
3 Rebecca Adlington

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here