Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports Personality 08 - the official betting thread

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The 10 nominations are out - 7 gold medal-winning Olympians plus Lewis, Calzaghe and Murray.

The bookies appear to see the Olympics vote being split, allowing Hamilton to hoover up and I have to say I agree with them. He's big odds-on.

Adlington and Hoy the only serious threats (around 3s and 4-1 respectively).

Could be a big bet on Hamilton, perhaps with all my Arsenal winnings from yesterday...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It will be tight, and I was tempted to say Addlington will shade it by a nose, however I feel confident it will be Lewis Hamilton.

There will be those who say the beaky swimmer deserves a sniff of glory, or maybe Wiggins or Hoy, but Hamilton is amazing.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I reckon either Murray or Calzaghe should be favourite as they have done the most.

I think the Olympics are the original sports so they should be in there although doubt they'll ever have enough interest from the voters to win it, how people can call F1 a sport amazes me though - it's about as sporty as morris dancing!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think Chris Hoy could be a good outside bet.... remember it is Sports PERSONALITY of the year. I have seen and heard Chris doing various interviews since the last Olympics and he comes over as very nice bloke who is genuinely interested in promoting his sport and encouraging youngsters to take up cycling as a sport and as a heathly way to exercise. So, if it s a personality vote, you never know.

I like Lewis and I think he is a probable but he does seem a cold fish sometimes and that might let him down.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
PERSONALITY and MURRAY just don't fit into the same sentence.

Probably be..

1. Hamilton
2. Calzaghe
3. Hoy

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I see this purely as a betting contest (how else is it interesting), and for me it's all about the 'Zara Phillips' factor.

Her winning two years ago showed the voting public is not your normal sports audience - and all those people will vote for Adlington in my opinion. That is the only case I can make for Beaky, and would make her a reasonable punt and the only realistic alternative to Hamilton.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think by going with Adlington you're swimming against the tide, Tooting...

She's not particularly attractive, or royal...

But I can see your point. Personally, I think Phil Taylor deserves the gig.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
No Mark Cavdendish...:nono:

Hopefully one of the cyclists gets it but its a bit of a joke - I'd imagine your average sports personality voter can't even tell you the events that Chris Hoy got his 3 golds in, let alone some of the others on there.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
All you need is a big bet on Adlington, and then get a friendly tabloid newspaper editor to run a 'Tax-dodger Lewis' story next week, perhaps with a picture of a lot of nurses his missing millions would pay for. Then you're laughing.

Last edited:

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
The 10 nominations are out - 7 gold medal-winning Olympians plus Lewis, Calzaghe and Murray.

The bookies appear to see the Olympics vote being split, allowing Hamilton to hoover up and I have to say I agree with them. He's big odds-on.

Adlington and Hoy the only serious threats (around 3s and 4-1 respectively).

Could be a big bet on Hamilton, perhaps with all my Arsenal winnings from yesterday...

I know Glen Murray has had a reasonable season but is he really one of the favourites?

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
this is what i think

Personality:

1 Hammilton
2 Adlington
3 Hoy

Overseas:

50/50 call between Phelps and Bolt. Although Nadal might be in with a shout

Team:

The 3 nominations will be:

Welsh rugby Union team
Man United (like them or lothe them they did win the double)
And team GB Olyimpics (winners)

the only tricky ones are the coach award and the young presonality.

I agree with Atfc btw. Cavendish should be there. 4 Stage wins in the tour de france is an unbelieavable achevement. Only one other brit has done this I believe.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Its bolocks now isn't it. But I am biased. A young lad won a 125cc grand prix this year - the first UK win in that catagory for decades - yet didn't make the top 3 in the kiddie competition. I don't mind Lewis being shortlisted, but as been said, its sports personality, not great achievement. I ain't gonna watch it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
All you need is a big bet on Adlington, and then get a friendly tabloid newspaper editor to run a 'Tax-dodger Lewis' story next week, perhaps with a picture of a lot of nurses his missing millions would pay for. Then you're laughing.

You have a point. Adlington is squeaky clean - she's the last person I'd have down as a drugs cheat, which is just as well because all the poppy fields in Afghanistan couldn't cater for that conk.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is a very strange award this, and there isn't much logic to it. If Barry Hearn gave John Sargeant a wild card to the Maplin UK Open Snooker Tournamnet anything could happen...

And does anyone remember who came third just 2 years ago? Step forward Beth Tweddle...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here