Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports Argus to be axed; A bad decision?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Pity - I get it weekly and enjoy reading much of it. Truth is that more and more get their scores, reports and analysis online and it's harder and harder for papers to make sports extras pay.

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Hopefully they will produce a center paper on a Monday, much like the motoring or birds section they have at the moment.

I think what killed it off, was when they stopped widespread distribution on a Saturday evening, and at the same time jacked the price up.

After all, who wanted to pay more for yestersday's news, when all the Sunday papers had the scores in. Most of the Albion news was a re-hash of the weeks events anyway, and you got a better report a day later in the Monday Arsegas!

Last edited:

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
When I was a kid I remember the Evening Argus having a Saturday edition that hit the newsagents about 6.30 with a report on the Albion match on the back page. All the other football results were on a 'Stop press' strip printed along the bottom. Saturday's Argus is printed about Thursday afternoon to get in the shops first thing on Saturday morning. Printing technology has improved, but they still cannot manage to get a paper into the shops on Saturday evening.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
When I was a kid I remember the Evening Argus having a Saturday edition that hit the newsagents about 6.30 with a report on the Albion match on the back page. All the other football results were on a 'Stop press' strip printed along the bottom. Saturday's Argus is printed about Thursday afternoon to get in the shops first thing on Saturday morning. Printing technology has improved, but they still cannot mangage to get a paper into the shops on Saturday evening.

I don't think it's a printing technology issue, more a commercial thing (in that I can't see that the Sports Argus makes much if any money for Newsquest) and a technology issue in general (most people read the Argus online these days - it's free). The Argus don't have print, distribution or newsagents payments to worry about. Nonetheless it's a shame to see the end of the Sports Argus. It will be interesting to see if their web output increases or improves - as that is the general direction of local news providers (and not just print media) is heading these days. Soccernight has gone too, in favour of more central programming. A big shame for those Albion fans not interested in Premiership football and therefore not willing to part with £35 a month to Sky to watch FL Review.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must admit to being one who reads The Argus on line to save money, as the only things that I am interested in is The Albion the rest to me is pure waffle about nothing, and doesnt interest me.

I only read The Sports Argus if I can stand in Sainburys and read it whilst her indoors is shopping as I wouldnt buy i. I do not think that it is value for money. What suprises me is that they chose to scrap it before the season starts rather than at the end. I would have thought that it sold more during the football season than during the cricket.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When I was a kid I remember the Evening Argus having a Saturday edition that hit the newsagents about 6.30 with a report on the Albion match on the back page. All the other football results were on a 'Stop press' strip printed along the bottom. Saturday's Argus is printed about Thursday afternoon to get in the shops first thing on Saturday morning. Printing technology has improved, but they still cannot manage to get a paper into the shops on Saturday evening.

Sorry? Saturday's Argus is printed on Friday night/Saturday morning. I should know, I used to send the fecker to downstairs to the printers.

Why print a daily newspaper that will only have 36 hour-old news in it?

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
I agree with Mr. Burns here!

Cost cutting has f***ed them up, you could hardly get the pinkun' anywhere on a
Saturday night, we used to go to the pub after games having bets on what crap
headline they would come up with - ahh, good times.

Then they really hiked the price up - they've only got themselves to blame!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I stopped buying it when it went to Sunday, which was launched with the slogan "Now available on Sundays!" (It always was you pea-brained morons). There was something special about waiting for it to turn up on a Saturday evening, by the time Sunday came I'd already read reports on-line.

Also it could have been SO much better with better coverage of non-League football - and what was with all those wasted pages devoted to fantasy football? If they couldn't be bothered to do it properly it sounds like a bit of a mercy-killing IMO.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
A few years back the Saturday evening Sports Edition was the only copy of the Argus I bought all week. As well as the results and the Albion report it also had the weeks TV listings, all for a very reasonable price and at 6:30 on a Saturday evening. Once they started with the pink version I stopped buying it and the habit of actually buying a paper newspaper has been well and truly broken.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I have stopped buying the Argus, its full of rubbish these days. Its only 10p at Sussex Uni ut I still think thats a waste of money!

Sad news about the Sports Argus - I bought it now and then, but not as often once it stopped coming out on a Saturday evening and we used to get a copy to read on the way home from the pub after home games!

Oh well, perhaps Mr Naylor can write a free column on NSC after every game instead!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I used to buy it when I lived in Sussex but to be honest you can get most of it's content online now and I can easily see why it's not economically viable to produce any more.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Sorry? Saturday's Argus is printed on Friday night/Saturday morning. I should know, I used to send the fecker to downstairs to the printers.

Why print a daily newspaper that will only have 36 hour-old news in it?

I was exagerating, but my point is, the only paper they sell on a Saturday is put together probably 24hours before the Albion actually play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here