Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports Argus to be axed; A bad decision?

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Thing is, it doesn't have to be past it's sell-by-date whatsoever.

I didn't see this thread so posted in another one but here are my thoughts:

It is too fact based, with the internet, tv, teletext, club text etc people won't buy it just to read 'Brighton sign Livermore' - we knew probably 24 hours before most of us would get round to buying it.

There clearly is a market for sport media etc - 442, WSC, Shoot etc are very very popular (obviously these are all-team-inclusive) but a similar market could be found. On the Argus website the most active section is the sport one.

What the Argus needs, in my opinion, is more interviews - this is something we can't get online (that much) and won't recieve on BBC or by club text. We seem to have an obsession with wanting the 'inside scoop' and if one of us can forge a tenuous link to a player we seemingly thrive - so good quality interviews could be really popular.

More discussion is needed - this is essential in my opinion. I suggested in the other thread a similar format to 442's 'And Another thing...' I suppose this is similar to Hartys' new feature on Southern Counties. BUt this involved getting 4 fans togethers - perhaps via instant messaging or in person ( but that's outdated, isn't it?) and discussing and recording their opinions.

Guest writers could also be used, I do get fed up with the same old reporters, and perhaps a few more insightful, expert journalists could spice things up.

I also don't understand why it's 70 p - way too much in my opinion. Get a few players to do an article - if they will.

Just a couple of suggestions - all of which are most probably bollocks.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It was great for non league fixtures, would go and see games that without the paper I would have missed.

Sussex sport such as cricket, football, cycling all usefull and like the programme at the game it often expands with interviews and insight.

I will also miss this Saturday/Sunday ritual, but wow only 450 readers that felt like when I heard John Peel only got 80,000 odd listeners nationwide, puts you in a real minority.

Would appeciate to know what websites give you such an extensive coverage of local sports.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
..:

It is too fact based, with the internet, tv, teletext, club text etc people won't buy it just to read 'Brighton sign Livermore' - we knew probably 24 hours before most of us would get round to buying it.

Agreed. It's pointless putting into print (and trying to get people to pay for) stuff that the Internet and other modern media does SO much better. Ergo it's pointless doing a lot of factual stuff on the Albion when we've all read it on-line.

However Sussex sport doesn't begin and end with BHA, Crawley and Sussex CCC. They only did the most cursory coverage of the County League and even for teams like Worthing, Lewes and Eastbourne Borough they'd only do a very basic match report. They could have covered Sussex sport in so much more depth by getting the clubs to write the articles for them: previews, reports, analysis etc. Unlike the Albion most local clubs websites, if they have them, aren't kept up-to-date and they don't have the equivalent of NSC. Also people are more likely to buy the paper if they or their friends are featured in it. Despite my earlier post I realise I HAVE bought the S.A. on a couple of occasions since it became a Sunday publication when my son and/or his friends have been featured in the 'Youth in Action' bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here