Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports Argus to be axed; A bad decision?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Newsquest decide to bin the Sports Argus before the start of the season due to cost cutting, I for one will miss my pink one on a Sunday!
Can't we start a campaign to save it?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Sports Argus has been a decent read, and particularly in last couple of years, its Albion coverage has been superb (then again i'm a Naylor fan).

Sad if it's the end:nono:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Thats a shame I look forward to reading it during the football season and as allready mentioned they have a great youth section.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The way to go is an online edition.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
perhaps someone should start a alterntive web site ,that includes all the stuff it used to have,could that be done?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
theres a whole load of laws to get by if your going to do that, especially if you are going to include such an indepth youth section

It is not such a great read in the pre season, even with Sussex CCC stuff, maybe just do editions during the football season, or even just one a month??

I always purchased it every week and will be said to see it go

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Same here, though argee that it is mostly only a good read during the football season. Good coverage for Youth and the non league football section was brilliant. Means for me the only real Albion coverage I will get will be online, apart from the normal Argus. :(

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's a shame. As has been said, it's been a really decent read recently. Can see how sales drop to near-zero during the close season cos few people care about cricket and the like, and the decision to not bother rushing to get it into the shops on a Saturday evening probably killed it stone dead. Used to walk along from the Brewery Tap to the newsagents on a Saturday after the game about half-six and bring back an armful of copies for the pub. It was great. All the football results, the tables, three page match report, all the racing results etc etc.

In Scotland the football papers, the pink 'un or the green 'un, depending on where you were, always got delivered to the chippies on a Saturday night. They sold loads.

RIP Sports Argus

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In my more anal youth, I used to wait in the newsagents for the Sports Argus so I could get the match report to cut out for my scrapbook. :blush:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
If it's not cost-effective, I can see why they've taken the decision.

I saw some figures once when they were trying to sell me ad space, and sales were something like 450 a week.

If a member of the Argus ad dept showed you those kind of figures I doubt a long career in sales beckoned, however I think you may have missed a '0' off.

I believe it could be the tip of the iceberg, the Bath Chronicle is a sister paper to the Argus and that has recently gone weekly, how long before the Argus follows suit? And perhaps more significantly the Bath paper let 40% of its staff go as a result.

How many NSC'ers buy an Argus or read it on line?

Will we end up with blood on our hands?

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
It makes way for the resurrection (or the re-erection) of that fine old publication Gullseye. How about it Ian?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
If a member of the Argus ad dept showed you those kind of figures I doubt a long career in sales beckoned, however I think you may have missed a '0' off.

I believe it could be the tip of the iceberg, the Bath Chronicle is a sister paper to the Argus and that has recently gone weekly, how long before the Argus follows suit? And perhaps more significantly the Bath paper let 40% of its staff go as a result.

How many NSC'ers buy an Argus or read it on line?

Will we end up with blood on our hands?

Most newspaper companys are letting people go in droves as the internet is taking over.

I read your column online now as it's easier

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Surely one of the shittiest publications of all time: a regurgitation of the previous week's news, a topline report on the previous afternoon's match that's inferior to the Monday version, and the tedious non-league / youth stuff.

The fact is that the main daily paper itself relies on advertising revenue more than paper sales - thanks mainly to the free online versions. If the pink'un doesn't have anything new to say, it's doomed to failure. Goodbye and good riddance!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here