Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sponsors MOM

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've said this before but Albion are missing a trick here. They could easily instigate phone voting via text where the fans choose MoM. Low set up costs and a slice of money to the club every game. It's true that they wouldn't get much from 4000 people like Tues night but 12000 or 13000 at Falmer would be some useful dosh.

Don't think it would have an impact on sponsorship either - people don't do it to pick MoM

Sounds a good idea

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
Holroyd was definitely NOT motm on Tuesday
u have got give the young man credit he has only been with the squad about 10 days and to put in a performance like he did on tues was great dont get me wrong virgo played really well but holroyd gets my vote

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I've said this before but Albion are missing a trick here. They could easily instigate phone voting via text where the fans choose MoM. Low set up costs and a slice of money to the club every game. It's true that they wouldn't get much from 4000 people like Tues night but 12000 or 13000 at Falmer would be some useful dosh.

Don't think it would have an impact on sponsorship either - people don't do it to pick MoM

How long would it be before some 'group' (perhaps even NSC) took it on themselves to manipulate such a vote... after all it would probably only take a few hundred people.

And as to raising money... it's only going to be a few pence per text after costs... unless you make it a premium rate text... and then people wouldn't bother.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sounds a good idea

Well, I think it is too. I emailed Martin Perry about it five or so years ago but didn't get a reply.

I think that there's a team in Finland that takes the concept a bit further and has supporters nominating which players to take off and who to bring on,

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It would not matter how you chose MOM.

It could be on a sponsor'e whim, by secret ballot, decided by a high court judge or selected by a panel of a dozen top international managers. Bensgrandad would still consider the choice as 'wrong' if it didn't fit his thinking.

Or basically, if its not Adam Virgo.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
And for your next joke!!!!

Without Virgo we would have lost about 4 - 0

Holdroyd was very poor in the first half but improved in the 2nd and even then was 2nd to Murray. Virgo was very good from start to finish and made at least 3 or 4 clearances/tackles that would and should have been goals.

yes but defenders never get man of the match, if i were there i would have given it to navarro based on his cumulative performances over the past few weeks as no one particularly stood out to me on tuesday

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I should point out, that I actually did think AV was excellent on Tuesday. I just find BGs myopic view on him a little tedious...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How long would it be before some 'group' (perhaps even NSC) took it on themselves to manipulate such a vote... after all it would probably only take a few hundred people.

And as to raising money... it's only going to be a few pence per text after costs... unless you make it a premium rate text... and then people wouldn't bother.

Does it matter if groups of people try to manipulate the vote? In fact, it could be encouraged as that would mean more revenue.

Yes, it would be a small amount of money per text, perhaps 20 or 30p but that would soon mount up and, like I said, it's low running costs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you are being a bit harsh on the sponsors. Traditionally, they just pick whoever has scored the goal, very rarely someone else. For the last three or four months, they have had to reject this formula for obvious reasons.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Does it matter if groups of people try to manipulate the vote? In fact, it could be encouraged as that would mean more revenue.

Yes, it would be a small amount of money per text, perhaps 20 or 30p but that would soon mount up and, like I said, it's low running costs.

Seems to rather de-value the MoM award... if it has any value anyway?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would not matter how you chose MOM.

It could be on a sponsor'e whim, by secret ballot, decided by a high court judge or selected by a panel of a dozen top international managers. Bensgrandad would still consider the choice as 'wrong' if it didn't fit his thinking.

Or basically, if its not Adam Virgo.

That is totally wrong I have castigated Adam Virgo when he has done wrong but am prepared to praise him when he does well. Recently he has done very well, whether it is enough to get him a new contract remains to be seen.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It is a game of opinions. They paid their money they get their opinion on the pa, we still get our opinions and it is not always obvious that one player would get everyones vote.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
When we had the Gulls Eye sponsored games at the Goldstone back in 1995, bearing in mind we'd 'started' at around noon, by the time 4.30 arrived and Edward David turn up in the seats asking for our MOM it was fairly clear cut.
Was GE's current favourite player still on the pitch?
Yes
Therefore the winner of the Gulls Eye Man of the Match award, in association with Alf's Burger Van, Worthing* was Peter Smith.
So perhaps it came as no surprise two months later when the Gulls Eye man of the match award, in assocation with the Ganhdi Takeway, Downlands Parade, Worthing* was Peter Smith.

As yet Peter has yet to claim either his winning burger or curry.

* Both beautifully read out on the PA by Tony MIllard.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It is simply opinion - fair enough.

I personally thought Painter was brilliant on Tues and would have given it to him...

Excellent idea and one I've thought about before, the club could have the sponsors MoTM and the fans MoTM.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It is simply opinion - fair enough.

I personally thought Painter was brilliant on Tues and would have given it to him...

Finally.

Definitely Painter man of the match. They sent ALL their attacks down his side first half and he dealt with them impeccably. He's not as attack-minded as Calderon, but I don't see why that's a problem.

You could see clearly why he was a Championship player.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Opinions are like assholes .....everybodys got one.

In the scheme of things its not all that important and as already stated its a perk of the match sponsors. Sometimes i agree sometimes i dont. Its like the player ratings in the papers. They always differ depending on how the reviewer sees it.

Id have gone for Holroyd btw

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here