Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spelling and Grammer

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It hardly f***ing matters.
What is sad is when people try to win an argument or put someone down by pointing out their poor spelling/grammer.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My gran taught me how to spell correctly. Shouldn't the title thread be "Spelling and Grandma" ?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The grammar and spelling on here from some people is at times so bad you can't understand what they are trying to say.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Years ago, myself and a g/f would exchange love letters. Her's were so ridden with mistakes, I felt the need to dish her out some stern discipline, and after that, I got the impression she would put the mistakes in on purpose :p

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Quā rē, amicī, nōs perturbāmus dē quībusque legibus linguae moribundae?

(Why, O friends, are we working ourselves up over a few rules in a language that's at death's door anyways?)

Relax -- a dead language is every bit as much fun as a living one.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
That may have been intentional. I used to know a bunch of self-exemplifying grammar rules. I can remember a few:

Never use a preposition to end a sentence with.
Sentence fragments awful.
Eschew obfuscation via recondite locutions.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My excuses are

1) During the day I'm at work and don't have time to edit and revise my posts.

2) At home I'm on my laptop and often watching tv/dvds at the same time, so don't always give my full attention.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
I had a pathetic excuse for an English teacher, she wasn't even English, she was an Aussie so always spoke using wierd Australian words that we didn't understand :lolol:

Wasn't very helpful

Yeah the stupid ginger slag.

Thats her, couldn't put it better myself :bowdown:
She just spent the whole two years sending us out and telling us that we are going to fail.
I look forward to result day on thursday :thumbsup:

Lewis, remember the look on her face when I got a B in our mocks after she had told us we would fail all year, never forgotten!!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Bad spelling doesn't always mean you earn less or are less intelligent, it also doesn't mean your opinion on football is better

Stop being so picky , twats

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Language is all about communication. If people can understand what you are saying and the point which you are trying to get across then what's the problem? There are far more important things in life to get annoyed over. Simplistic spelling and grammar mistakes do not bother me. It only becomes a problem when posts become incoherent and so it's an effort to make sense of things (no full stops or commas in an entire paragraph, for example.)

It's grammar, by the way.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Language is all about communication. If people can understand what you are saying and the point which you are trying to get across then what's the problem? There are far more important things in life to get annoyed over. Simplistic spelling and grammar mistakes do not bother me. It only becomes a problem when posts become incoherent and so it's an effort to make sense of things (no full stops or commas in an entire paragraph, for example.)

It's grammar, by the way.

Well said.

Certainly not restricted to NSC. I have worked with people just out of university and they can hardly write a coherent sentence.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I actually got a private message on here once, from someone who said that if i could not spell or use the correct grammer on posts then i should not attempt to post on here as it annoys him so much. :ohmy:

I dont care if peoples spelling or grammer is bad having dyslexia myself. Also i appreciate that probably like me not everyone has time to spell check things, if your typing at work in between real work if you know what i mean

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Perhaps we should have A upper crust section. How sad.
:shrug:

Surely that should be AN upper crust section. :jester:

Seriously though, I agree with seagulls4ever. As long as you're making your point clearly and coherently, the odd typo or grammatical error is hardly the biggest disaster in the world.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I am interested in the comments and it matters little that the spelling and grammer are not perfect. Many years ago I pointed out to my sons teacher that his spelling was not good,the reply was we dont want to stifle his work,it will come in time.
Year by year the standards in English are dropping so in time there will be fewer and fewer people who can recognise our faults,end of story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here