Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speeding!

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
If speeding is such an issue, surely technology can be used to limit the speed of all vehicles on the roads, then it wouldn't be a problem. With satellite technology vehicles could be tracked and the max. speed adjusted for different limits. Seems quite straightforward until you realise that then there would be no need for the cash-cow of fines that get collected on an annual basis.

Myself, I'm quite happy driving in accordance with the limits (no points in 24 years) and everyone else paying fines and higher insurance premiums because of their recklessness and disregard of the law.

As a previous poster has said "it's your choice".

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It amazes me that so many think that the Police are doing it just to earn money. If their anti speeding measures help to prevent just 1 fatality, maybe preventing someone having to scrape up the remains of an adult but especially if it was a young child then surely their measures are worthwhile.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
errrr 152 mph is f***ing scary in a normal car on a normal road with other traffic on the road. even in a nice saloon. what sports car are you driving?

i do agree though the irresponsible driving is the cause of most accidents, although i think 152mph is a tad OTT.

Nothing fancy, just an Audi TT. But the fact you're not in a rattling car makes a big difference. Driving at 70 feels really slow.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
They covered a bit about the stopping distances in the highway code and that they were set 50 years ago but havent been updated since because cars weigh much more than they do now
They still stop a LOT quicker than 50 years ago despite the extra weight. The implication they are giving you is that the weight means the stopping distances are the same?....

When we do it [speed] any number of outcomes can happen from nothing at all up to killing yourself and/or others..
Same goes for when not speeding as well so not sure what their point is. In fact, any/every journey (by car, bus, train, air etc.) can have a number of outcomes from nothing up to killing people.

Of course, the speed affects the stopping distance and you adjust speed accordingly, however there are other factors. There is "thinking" distance but I see no mention of "anticipation" distance. For example, someone at 25mph, not paying much attention sees that child/dog/cyclist step out at the last second and tries to brake in time. Someone else at 35mph but looking ahead, sees the potential hazard of aforementioned child/dog/cyclist/etc. and adjusts speed accordingly - by the time they get to the hazard, they've already made the necessary adjustments to their driving. The 1st person is leaving it to the last minute and is far more dangerous driver, despite driving slower.

I'm by no means saying faster drivers are safer (far from it) but road safety is not purely dictated by driving more slowly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd like to know what percentage of penalties are for doing 36 in a 30mph zone. I've had 3 of those in the last 12 years - once by fixed camera, twice by mobile cameras. It's just an extension of road tax. I'm 43 and have made no claims on my insurance in more than 16 years, but I'm presently on 6 points - what a load of bollocks.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
It amazes me that so many think that the Police are doing it just to earn money. If their anti speeding measures help to prevent just 1 fatality, maybe preventing someone having to scrape up the remains of an adult but especially if it was a young child then surely their measures are worthwhile.

Problem is, where do you draw the line. Lets ban ALL vehicles on the road and there'll be NO road deaths. If it means 1 life saved, it's worth it no?.......

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I have to go on a speed awareness course at the end of April!!! I got done doing 78 mph down the A27 on a Sunday afternoon so was offered the speed awareness course.

In the past I have had 6 points at the most on my licence.

I am interested to see what this speed awareness course entails.

Jan 30, 2008
Why is doing 152 on the A27 "disgusting"? If the road is completely clear i.e. 6am Sunday moring what's the problem? If you are putting yourself in danger and no one else I have no problem with it! I used to have motorbikes, say no more! BTW - I have 0 points.
what about rabbits , foxes , badgers and other wild life that use the road :thumbsup:

Jan 30, 2008
I have to go on a speed awareness course at the end of April!!! I got done doing 78 mph down the A27 on a Sunday afternoon so was offered the speed awareness course.

i wouldn't worry, nothing to do with how fast you climax :wave:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

I would imagine it tells you to look at the speedo every once in a while..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Not sure I can do that and change gear and look at the road signs all at the same time - being a woman driver!!!

???

You sure about that,i swear you women can answer the phone,cook a full roast dinner apply make up and all sorts of multi tasking,whilst at the wheel..

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
On the news today speeding has risen by 30,000 in the last 2 years in Sussex!!

Highest recorded speed of 152mph on the A27! That is disgusting IMO!

Have you been caught speeding during this period? Has this idea of doing an awareness course instead of receiving points made you less concerned about your speed on our roads?

Are you aware that if you get caught and receive points on your licence that you MUST inform your insurance company for any motoring offence that puts points on your licence, if not and you make any claim, they will not pay out and they will void any cover?

Amazingly, with the mileage I cover per year (approx 60,000 that I do have a clean licence)!

Confess,

How many points have you got on your licence?

Cover is not automatically voided, why give out false info?

Think the point is you need to check the wording of your contract. It always used to be that you would have to declare any changes at next renewal, not when the you received the points unless there is a ban. If you got done for speeding in a policy year and had an accident later in that same policy year they would not refuse to pay out.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
They still stop a LOT quicker than 50 years ago despite the extra weight. The implication they are giving you is that the weight means the stopping distances are the same?....

Same goes for when not speeding as well so not sure what their point is. In fact, any/every journey (by car, bus, train, air etc.) can have a number of outcomes from nothing up to killing people.

Of course, the speed affects the stopping distance and you adjust speed accordingly, however there are other factors. There is "thinking" distance but I see no mention of "anticipation" distance. For example, someone at 25mph, not paying much attention sees that child/dog/cyclist step out at the last second and tries to brake in time. Someone else at 35mph but looking ahead, sees the potential hazard of aforementioned child/dog/cyclist/etc. and adjusts speed accordingly - by the time they get to the hazard, they've already made the necessary adjustments to their driving. The 1st person is leaving it to the last minute and is far more dangerous driver, despite driving slower.

I'm by no means saying faster drivers are safer (far from it) but road safety is not purely dictated by driving more slowly.

They also include hazard perception as part of the course so it wasnt all down to speed. Tips for looking around through and over things not just the car in front etc.

I'd like to know what percentage of penalties are for doing 36 in a 30mph zone. I've had 3 of those in the last 12 years - once by fixed camera, twice by mobile cameras. It's just an extension of road tax. I'm 43 and have made no claims on my insurance in more than 16 years, but I'm presently on 6 points - what a load of bollocks.
If i remember correctly over half of people caught are in a 30 zone.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Funnily enough, just today I got a letter stating that I was snapped going 39mph in a 30 zone. This will be my first offence in 20 years of driving. I take it points and a fine are inevitable.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
8 years driving, no points. Pretty sure I'm the only one out of my group of mates that has no points or claims against.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Funnily enough, just today I got a letter stating that I was snapped going 39mph in a 30 zone. This will be my first offence in 20 years of driving. I take it points and a fine are inevitable.

You may be offered the speed awareness course. I was, I didn't do it, but others have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here