Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speeding Ticket - Worth Contesting?

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing........take the speed alertness course. At 37 MPH you are well within the speed tolerance to offered one. You will only get the opportunity once. Its points and a fine next time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you haven't sped before and hopefully believe you won't be again then take the fine and points. That on it's own is unlikley to affect your premiums but if you accumulate any more then it will be detrimental. Might be wise to take the points this time and if you get caught again then do the awareness course if offered. Did any of the other drivers in the convoy get stung?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I've just had one through my door as well, for doing 39 in a 30mph. I think I will probably take the "awareness course" route. However, it does feel slightly wrong that I can offer up an extra £60 to effectively buy off 3 points.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Most of the responses are not nearly as holier than thou that I expected on seeing the thread title. Bit of a turn up on past threads about the villains and murderers who speed and talk about it on NSC

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
No not worth contesting - I did a speed awareness course last year in Chichester after a drive into Bognor to get Fish and Chips one friday evening - I was caught by a mobile unit doing 36 mph each way making it the most expensive Fish and Chips meal ever. I took 3 pts and paid £60 and also did the speed awareness course (£90) which I'd say was educational. It is taken by current driving instructors who assess and help with any bad habits you may have picked up. As already stated most other attendees were also 36-37 mph ' speeders' but you have to bite your lip, pay attention and get your certificate at the end. If you don't look interested they can fail you and still apply the fine and points through the courts.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A section of the A272 by the Ansty Cross pub just south of Cuckfield has just recently been made into a 30 (previously 50). Nasty, as the rest of that stretch of road is still 50, and if you're travelling west towards the A23 its downhill all the way, down a very quick, tree-lined stretch. Its a real effort to keep it down to 30 before you finally pass the 50 sign about half a mile on and can crack on. You're literally crawling along.

No cameras (yet) but there are a couple of sneaky laybys where a copper with a speedgun could make hay.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Just a point about it affecting your insurance, I got caught doing 42 in a 30 mile zone about 10 years ago. No courses available so I had 3 points plus the fine, (I think £40 in those days). When I told my insurance company they wacked an additional £20 per year on my insurance for 3 years so I ended up paying effectively £100. I should add that I had been driving for about 30 years up to that point without as much as a parking ticket so I don't think a good record will help you.

Take the course, it sounds cheaper.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've heard on the rumour mill that it's often worth taking it to court as the Police generally don't turn up and therefore the prosecution is quashed. I'd feel a bit foolish at a Speed Awareness Course full of boy racers who race around at 110mph, for doing 37mph in a 30 zone, given my previous good record. I certainly dont want any points on my licence. So it's option A or C. Anyone have any experience in this matter, or should I just quit whining and take the course as a consequence of being guilty of speeding, regardless of the severity?

I went on the course and it isn't what you think, the only reason you get offered the course is for moderate speeding offences, normally within 10 or 15% of the limit. My course was mostly people over 30, and all the offences such as mine 81mph on the motorway, and middle 30's like yours in a 30. There wasn't a single boy racer in my class of say 30 or so, you wouldn't be on the course doing anything over 86 in a 70 for example.

It's actually a good course, this was my first speeding offence in 20 years of driving and it has made me change certain aspects of my driving. Okay, it's a morning out of your day, but there is a message that comes across loud and clear. What hit me most was not the stopping distances (which most of us probably remember), but the speed you're actually still doing if say 2 cars stopped at the same time but doing different speeds i.e. when the 70mph car has stopped, the 80mph car is still doing something like 40 odd mph.

You were speeding. Take the course, avoid the points, it may just be something that stays with you.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've just had one through my door as well, for doing 39 in a 30mph. I think I will probably take the "awareness course" route. However, it does feel slightly wrong that I can offer up an extra £60 to effectively buy off 3 points.

If you take the course, I think you'll realise that's not the case. If the course can influence even half of the attendees to give some consideration to their speed and driving, then ultimately our roads will be safer. 3 points does not change someone's driving habits in real terms, however the educational aspect and it's presentation of the course will.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If you take the course, I think you'll realise that's not the case. If the course can influence even half of the attendees to give some consideration to their speed and driving, then ultimately our roads will be safer. 3 points does not change someone's driving habits in real terms, however the educational aspect and it's presentation of the course will.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the course, quite the opposite, I think it should be compulsory for all offenders. It's actually "getting out" of having a 3 pt endorsement that I'm a little uneasy about, seeing as someone who cannot afford the £60, would have the penalty applied, but because I can afford £60, I don't.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the course, quite the opposite, I think it should be compulsory for all offenders. It's actually "getting out" of having a 3 pt endorsement that I'm a little uneasy about, seeing as someone who cannot afford the £60, would have the penalty applied, but because I can afford £60, I don't.

Yes, I see you're point. I guess the hire of the facilities and the instructors needs to be paid for somehow. I think their argument is that even a small hit on your insurance from 3 points would at least equal or exceed the extra amount for the course, and so in most cases you'll have effectively paid the same by your next insurance renewal anyway.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
and consider myself to be a fairly safe & observant driver. On the way to volunteer at a local fete, I passed a speed camera at 37mph in a 30mph area.

Not as observant as you think then

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Not as observant as you think then

Hence the self-mocking "yes, this does seem to contradict the 'observant' boast previously" line. But then you'd need to be fairly observant to spot my comment ;)

Some very good and worthwhile comments - sounds like the course is quite worthwhile. I've probably spent £90 on worse things. Obviously it depends on the offender as to how well the information tends to sink in - as I know a friend who went on the same course, and has since been pulled over for UNDERtaking at 110mph. Didn't help that the car that she undertook was an undercover police car. Can't believe that she managed to keep hold of her licence.

I think my query just came about as I'd heard rumours that people were often able to escape any kind of cost/points by taking the issue to court and hope that the Police didn't arrive to contest it. I figured that collective conscience of NSC, being the birthplace of all rumours in the 21st Century, would by able to advise either way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How times have changed my last speeding conviction in 1984, was for doing 122.3mph on M23 as I was going to miss kick off for an evening game. As I was doing over 100mph I had to attend court and my punishment at Redhill Magistrates court was £150 fine and 3 points. Solicitor who was brilliant charged me £300 for his services. he told me to only answer Yes or No nothing else and completely bewildered the magistrates. My wife was caught. her only conviction, soon after going west through the traffic lights at Thos A Becket in Worthing a couple of months later doing 36mph and got fined £40 and penalty points. I realise that I was very fotunate not to have been banned, perhaps I should have been.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
How times have changed my last speeding conviction in 1984, was for doing 122.3mph on M23 as I was going to miss kick off for an evening game. As I was doing over 100mph I had to attend court and my punishment at Redhill Magistrates court was £150 fine and 3 points. Solicitor who was brilliant charged me £300 for his services. he told me to only answer Yes or No nothing else and completely bewildered the magistrates. My wife was caught. her only conviction, soon after going west through the traffic lights at Thos A Becket in Worthing a couple of months later doing 36mph and got fined £40 and penalty points. I realise that I was very fotunate not to have been banned, perhaps I should have been.

What car did you have?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A section of the A272 by the Ansty Cross pub just south of Cuckfield has just recently been made into a 30 (previously 50). Nasty, as the rest of that stretch of road is still 50, and if you're travelling west towards the A23 its downhill all the way, down a very quick, tree-lined stretch. Its a real effort to keep it down to 30 before you finally pass the 50 sign about half a mile on and can crack on. You're literally crawling along.

No cameras (yet) but there are a couple of sneaky laybys where a copper with a speedgun could make hay.

Where exactly is that as I was driving from Haywards Heath up to the Ansty Cross, which incidentally is closed and up to let as either retail or offices at £21k per year rent, and after turning right at the roundabout there wasa police mobile speed camera unit in the lay by on the left cathcing people coming up from the A23. I am now much more speed conscious than I was some years ago when, like a lot of people, I thought that I was the cats whiskers in my Audi.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What car did you have?

Audi Quatro and it was on the southbound M23. A mile or os south of the M25 junction there isa very high bridge/ road over the motorway and the police told me but I am not sure that it is true that there is a speed scensor in the bridge which triggers off any police car parked up down the road. They just flicked the in car computer saying you wre speeding lets see how fast it then showed up as 122.3mph. What stupid things we do when younger and think we are good drivers.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just a point about it affecting your insurance, I got caught doing 42 in a 30 mile zone about 10 years ago. No courses available so I had 3 points plus the fine, (I think £40 in those days). When I told my insurance company they wacked an additional £20 per year on my insurance for 3 years so I ended up paying effectively £100. I should add that I had been driving for about 30 years up to that point without as much as a parking ticket so I don't think a good record will help you.

Take the course, it sounds cheaper.

Very unusual. Did you tell them straight away or at renewal? I believe that whilst it is considered a material fact, you are only legally obliged to declare it at your next renewal. If they put your premiums up they you should shop around as it is odds on that you would get a cheaper quote elsewhere even with the new insurer aware of the conviction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here