Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speeding Ticket - Worth Contesting?

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
This has never happened to me before, so I was wondering what would be the best option in order to have least amount of hassle/fines/points. I've been driving over 12 years and never had a speeding (or even a parking) ticket before, and consider myself to be a fairly safe & observant driver. On the way to volunteer at a local fete, I passed a speed camera at 37mph in a 30mph area. I fully accept that this happened as I was on an unfamiliar road in a convoy of 4 vehicles, so was concentrating on where they were ahead/behind me and didn't notice the speed camera warning until I passed it(yes, this does seem to contradict the 'observant' boast previously). I seemed to be doing the same speed as the rest of the road traffic, but accept that I was exceeding the speed limit - therefore guilty of speeding.

My query is this. Given my previous good record, and the 'unwritten' rule of generally being allowed to speed 10% + 2mph (therefore, 35mph in a 30mph zone), this puts me 2mph over the limit and therefore open to prosecution.

My options are:
a) Speed Awareness Course for £90 and no fine/points.
b) £30 fine and 3 points
c) Take it to court due to mitigating circumstances

I've heard on the rumour mill that it's often worth taking it to court as the Police generally don't turn up and therefore the prosecution is quashed. I'd feel a bit foolish at a Speed Awareness Course full of boy racers who race around at 110mph, for doing 37mph in a 30 zone, given my previous good record. I certainly dont want any points on my licence. So it's option A or C. Anyone have any experience in this matter, or should I just quit whining and take the course as a consequence of being guilty of speeding, regardless of the severity?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...I've heard on the rumour mill that it's often worth taking it to court as the Police generally don't turn up and therefore the prosecution is quashed. I'd feel a bit foolish at a Speed Awareness Course full of boy racers who race around at 110mph, for doing 37mph in a 30 zone, given my previous good record. I certainly dont want any points on my licence. So it's option A or C. Anyone have any experience in this matter, or should I just quit whining and take the course as a consequence of being guilty of speeding, regardless of the severity?

Speed Awareness 'courses' are specifically aimed at 37 in a 30 type drivers.

110 in a 70 will more than likely get you a ban.

If you have a few hours to spare, then I would go for that option every time (actually they only let you do it once - I think).

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Do the course.

The evidence is plain and simple, if you contest it, the camera will be checked for accuracy, and if found in perfect working order, your fine will be alot more than what it would have been if you pleaded guilty to the offence (i.e coughing up the money)

Do the course, it will keep your insurance premiums down too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just do the course. The courts don't care if you've driven for 50 years, never dropped chewing gum on the floor, never been drunk, collect money for charity every week and sponsor a goat in Africa, if you contest it and are found to be guilty, you will get a much heftier fine.

I had 6 points up until 2 years ago and never got offered an awareness course by Surreys finest, so think yourself lucky.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
You are only offered a speed awareness course if you are doing 36 or 37 mph so everyone on the course will be in the same boat as you, any faster and you are in the points or court only option. I went for the speed awareness option to prevent points as the increase in insurance meant that it worked out cheaper to stump up the £90 for the course.

Years ago I had to go to court for being caught doing 60 in a 30 and there was no police present but I still got the 6 points and £300 fine so I don't think taking the court option will save you any money, in fact you have to pay the court costs and possibly a solicitor so would be far more expensive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've heard on the rumour mill that it's often worth taking it to court as the Police generally don't turn up and therefore the prosecution is quashed.

that might well be the case. but you got caught by a camera, and they dont have to turn up to give evidence.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
the course for sure , the last time i had a speeding ticket these were not available as a alternative and has been mentioned above points on licences create a world of plop , heres a helpfull video my lawyer showed me after i thought about contesting my last run in with a welsh mobile speed camera on the very subject :)

[yt]Zx40udwQvZI[/yt]

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Hmm. Pretty convincing in the "just get on with it and don't do it again" category then.

NSC hath spoken. Thanks!

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
This has never happened to me before, so I was wondering what would be the best option in order to have least amount of hassle/fines/points. I've been driving over 12 years and never had a speeding (or even a parking) ticket before, and consider myself to be a fairly safe & observant driver. On the way to volunteer at a local fete, I passed a speed camera at 37mph in a 30mph area. I fully accept that this happened as I was on an unfamiliar road in a convoy of 4 vehicles, so was concentrating on where they were ahead/behind me and didn't notice the speed camera warning until I passed it(yes, this does seem to contradict the 'observant' boast previously). I seemed to be doing the same speed as the rest of the road traffic, but accept that I was exceeding the speed limit - therefore guilty of speeding.

My query is this. Given my previous good record, and the 'unwritten' rule of generally being allowed to speed 10% + 2mph (therefore, 35mph in a 30mph zone), this puts me 2mph over the limit and therefore open to prosecution.

My options are:
a) Speed Awareness Course for £90 and no fine/points.
b) £30 fine and 3 points
c) Take it to court due to mitigating circumstances

I've heard on the rumour mill that it's often worth taking it to court as the Police generally don't turn up and therefore the prosecution is quashed. I'd feel a bit foolish at a Speed Awareness Course full of boy racers who race around at 110mph, for doing 37mph in a 30 zone, given my previous good record. I certainly dont want any points on my licence. So it's option A or C. Anyone have any experience in this matter, or should I just quit whining and take the course as a consequence of being guilty of speeding, regardless of the severity?

good grief man... grow a pair and stop whining like a child. you broke the law, you got caught, and now like the rest of us you'll be punished. if you want to avoid points or costs, then don't break the law. simples

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Love the 'unwritten rule' bit. Probably best not to take advice from people in the pub :smile:

Just take it like a man/woman. Those awareness courses can be quite an eye-opener.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
..... On the way to volunteer at a local fete....

Relevance?! You sound like a 1980's football manager trying to get off a drink drive/speeding ban because of "charity work"!

Its hardly crime of the Century. Do the course and move on.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Have you thought about contacting Chris Huhne's missus?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
will 3 points actually impact your insurance premium?? I very much doubt it.

suck up the fine and points and quit whining like a girl.

My thoughts exactly given your exemplary prior record

I always thought it was £60 plus 3 points so if you've been offered £30 grab it fast. Give your insurers a bell and check if your next premium will be affected first though so you can be sure you are making the right decision

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
It will probably have some effect. Having no points is also a condition sometime for hiring cars and vans etc

Yeah, this is my thinking - I'd like to avoid having any points whatsoever anywhere near my licence. Being a Hatter, I assume that you're somewhere around Luton too? Be careful when you're driving through Westoning just up near Flitwick. Sneaky camera around a corner!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here