Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed camara 'humam rights' challenge.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Human rights case?

I was under the impression that speed cameras only catch out people who are breaking the law.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
strings said:
Human rights case?

I was under the impression that speed cameras only catch out people who are breaking the law.

no they catch cars that are breaking the law. they don't prove who was driving at the time.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
magoo said:
I think more accidents are caused by Gatso's than prevented.
Yes. If people are speeding.

magoo said:
no they catch cars that are breaking the law. they don't prove who was driving at the time.

Then the owner of the car can simply tell the police who it was.

If I knew who broke into your house and stole your video you would be f***ing angry if I didn't tell the police which anti-social law-breaker it was and you would want me punished for not telling the police would you not?

Don't break the speed limit, don't get done for it. Break the speed limit then at least have the f***ing balls to take the rap.

Last edited:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
does anyone know what the decision from strasbourg was or is the case still going on?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Chester Drawers said:
Interesting that this item was on Newsnight last night and that the South Yorkshire Police had a case where one of their own transit vans was caught speeding by a camera. However as the "vehicle out" log hadnt been filled in for that particular journey coupled together with the fact that nobody was prepared to say who was driving ... the case was dropped ???

Well who exactly would you be able to charge in that case?

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
magoo said:
no from people suddenly slamming on their brakes (even if they are within the limit) when they realise there's a camera there.

Why would that be a problem? Surely you keep a safe breaking distance from the car in front? I mean, the car in front can just as easily break suddenly because a child chases their ball into the road. Not much use the car breaking to avoid the child if you're driving so close behind you are going to ram it forward into the child anyway.

Tailgaters. Grrrrr.

The way I see it, speed cameras are one reason that a real police presence is missing from the streets. There should be cops around to stop crime, not just cameras to stop speeding.

I made a 999 call a few weeks ago as a chav was destroying a phonebox, but the dispatcher taking the call said the line was bad and couldn't hear me - - while I could hear his breathing as I repeatedly tried to tell him what was going on.....and he said nothing as he waited for me to give up and get off the phone. They just don't give a shit, the bill are nowhere to be seen until the crimes are committed and the perp has long gone.

Last edited:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Usual NSC morally correct rational tedium in most of these replys.I've had 4 outrageous £50 cash fines in the past 3 months from organisations hell-bent on making life a misery and adding yet more to the outrageous cost of life in this country.I'm contesting ALL of them as i think they are money-making schemes not safety improvement.

in case you're interested:

1)£60 fine for riding a scooter 50yds in a bus lane in Brixton.With the amount of lunatic dangerous drivers around i'm in and out of them all the time.And should be able to do so.

2)£40 and 3 points for doing 32!! over Tower Bridge at 10pm.The single tiny 20mph sign 100yds earlier isn't much warning.Wrong.

3) Encroaching the congestion zone for 200yds 2 weeks ago at 6.15pm.Stupid agreed,but they won't accept it was a mistake and let me at least pay the £7 daily charge.£50.Wrong

4) Parking ticket in Hove at 9.10 am.The ticket had the correct DATE,MONTH,YEAR but i failed to scratch out anything in the DAY section.Wrong.Although to be fair i haven't heard back from my begging letter.They want £60 if i remember rightly.

Examples of the CON that this whole Health and Safety crusade really is.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Brixtaan,your mistake,was not parking on a BUS STOP. As a Bus Driver,i have yet to someone, 'done' for parking on a STOP. Yet councils and bus firms spend millions on raised level kerbs for buses to pull in to. Yet someone will park on one,wardens will watch it happen and do f*** ALL.:censored: :censored: :censored: :albion:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Hoggy said:
speed cameras are not in place to make money or indeed catch you speeding at all!

they are simply in place to make people think about their speed and will only catch those driving at a speed that is deemed dangerous in the places cameras are located.

in my opinion as someone who has been driving about 2 and a half years, and has never been caught, you must have no care or concentration on the road if you miss a big speed camera, its BRIGHT YELLOW FFS! :angry:
just shows what driver you are
2 years and you think you know everything
you are the daqngerous type of driver

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Brixtaan said:
Usual NSC morally correct rational tedium in most of these replys.I've had 4 outrageous £50 cash fines in the past 3 months from organisations hell-bent on making life a misery and adding yet more to the outrageous cost of life in this country.I'm contesting ALL of them as i think they are money-making schemes not safety improvement.

1)£60 fine for riding a scooter 50yds in a bus lane in Brixton.With the amount of lunatic dangerous drivers around i'm in and out of them all the time.And should be able to do so.

2)£40 and 3 points for doing 32!! over Tower Bridge at 10pm.The single tiny 20mph sign 100yds earlier isn't much warning.Wrong.

3) Encroaching the congestion zone for 200yds 2 weeks ago at 6.15pm.Stupid agreed,but they won't accept it was a mistake and let me at least pay the £7 daily charge.£50.Wrong

4) Parking ticket in Hove at 9.10 am.The ticket had the correct DATE,MONTH,YEAR but i failed to scratch out anything in the DAY section.Wrong.Although to be fair i haven't heard back from my begging letter.They want £60 if i remember rightly.

i totally sympathise.
i drive in london at least 3 days per week all over the capital and it never ceases to amaze me that i still have my license intact and not totally broke from having to pay traffic violation fines.

as for speed cameras, most cameras are NOT sited in accident blackspots.
moreover, the majority are sited in places to earn the most money for the government. FACT!

oh, i'm a freelance courier & drive all over the country and the siting of cameras is totally rediculous.

take handcross hill for example. never has there been a need more for a camera at the site of the worst accident blackspot in sussex.
so why isn't one there?

simple, theres better places to site a camera to generate more money than there.

and cameras should be sited round all schools but they're not for the same reasons as above.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
moggy said:
the majority are sited in places to earn the most money for the government. FACT!

And if people didn't break the law they wouldn't make any money, wherever they put them.

Last edited:

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Brixtaan said:

You are a f***ing menace mate.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Starry said:
And if people didn't break the law they wouldn't make any money, wherever they put them.

really ???

example needed:

A2 coming into london from the M25.
first hidden camera in lay-by (those who know this road will be aware of this little money maker)

then even worse, just before the blackwall tunnel, coming in at 50mph speed limit, it then drops down with sign to indicate and speed camera 5 yards ahead.
if you miss seeing the sign, thats it.
hope there isn't a lorry in front of that sign if you drive past.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
moggy said:
really ???

example needed:

first hidden camera in lay-by (those who know this road will be aware of this little money maker)

then even worse, just before the blackwall tunnel, coming in at 50mph speed limit, it then drops down with sign to indicate and speed camera 5 yards ahead.

Yes really. You don't speed, you can't get fined.

And if you are driving too fast to notice speed signs, on the arse of a lorry you deserve all you get and more.

Last edited:

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
moggy said:
really ???

example needed:

Pisses yer right off dont it.

I spent some time inside cos I never saw the sign that read

DO NOT REMOVE PEOPLES POSSESIONS FROM THEIR PROPERTIES WITHOUT THEIR PERMISION.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here