Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed camara 'humam rights' challenge.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Have to say,this is one 'human rights' case i do agree with. The use of speed camara,s has got totally out of control.:albion:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
It's the fact that the 'innocent until proven guilty' policy doesn't seem to apply to Gatso's. You are told to inform them of who was driving the vehicle at the time of the offence when it should be your human rights to stay quiet until you are proven guilty.

So, going by that logic can you refuse to pay a parking ticket until they can prove it was you that parked the car where you shouldn't?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
magoo said:
It's the fact that the 'innocent until proven guilty' policy doesn't seem to apply to Gatso's. You are told to inform them of who was driving the vehicle at the time of the offence when it should be your human rights to stay quiet until you are proven guilty.

So, going by that logic can you refuse to pay a parking ticket until they can prove it was you that parked the car where you shouldn't?

The thing to do is to say it was you driving (if it was) but since the confession was not given under caution it can not be used to prosecute you under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I sort of agree but if you don't speed, you don't get in trouble and you don't get a penalty notice. Then the camera and police with their zapper things become something you can totally ignore as you tick along within the speed limit.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Starry said:
I sort of agree but if you don't speed, you don't get in trouble and you don't get a penalty notice. Then the camera and police with their zapper things become something you can totally ignore as you tick along within the speed limit.

Innit. If you're within the speed limit you've got nothign to worry about. If you're speeding, then tough crap; you deserve the fine, sod any whining about human rights.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
magoo said:

It is your right to keep quiet AFTER you have been charged.The police are only trying to ascertain who was driving the car so that they can then proceed with the action. As far as I am concerned if you cannot indicate to the police who was driving then the car owner must take responsibilty.
Keep human rights campaigning to areas where it matters.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
H block said:
It is your right to keep quiet AFTER you have been charged.The police are only trying to ascertain who was driving the car so that they can then proceed with the action. As far as I am concerned if you cannot indicate to the police who was driving then the car owner must take responsibilty.
Keep human rights campaigning to areas where it matters.

But it's not the Police trying to press charges, it's the government.

My biggest gripe with speeding offences is it's the same punishment for doing say 60 in a 30 as it is for doing 38 in a 30.

Gatso's don't allow for road conditions and time of day.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
No sympathy.

Stick to the speed limit, it's 30 for a reason.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Muzzman said:
No sympathy.

Stick to the speed limit, it's 30 for a reason.
Even though this type of thread crops up on an almost daily basis, some people are seemingly either too determinedly stupid or determinedly selfish not to see that. Unreal.

Incidentally, the burden of proof with motoring offences has been on motorists to prove their innocence rather than the conventional other way around for YEARS before speed cameras came in.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:
Even though this type of thread crops up on an almost daily basis, some people are seemingly either too determinedly stupid or determinedly selfish not to see that. Unreal.

Incidentally, the burden of proof with motoring offences has been on motorists to prove their innocence rather than the conventional other way around for YEARS before speed cameras came in.

This is because it's a civil matter rather than a criminal matter I believe. In a civil court it is your responsibility to prove your innocents.

THe best course of action if a driver cannot be named is to charge everyperson on the insurance with the same offence.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Lammy said:
THe best course of action if a driver cannot be named is to charge everyperson on the insurance with the same offence.

:thumbsup:

magoo said:

Don't think so. My undertanding is that with parking tickets it is the owner of the car that is liable, whereas with speeding fines it is the driver at the time.

Would be a touch unfair if I was fined if my daughter was driving my car over the speed limit. Although totally fair the other way around!

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Cadiz Seagull said:
Don't think so. My undertanding is that with parking tickets it is the owner of the car that is liable, whereas with speeding fines it is the driver at the time.

Would be a touch unfair if I was fined if my daughter was driving my car over the speed limit. Although totally fair the other way around!

You let a woman drive your car ?

Your asking for it you really are.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
If the registered owner is fined,the drivers identity,if different,will surely soon be revealed.

Keep to the limit,you KNOW it makes sense.

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Interesting that this item was on Newsnight last night and that the South Yorkshire Police had a case where one of their own transit vans was caught speeding by a camera. However as the "vehicle out" log hadnt been filled in for that particular journey coupled together with the fact that nobody was prepared to say who was driving ... the case was dropped ???

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
It's my human right not to be run down by some f***ing speeding wanker.

Hoggy

Controversial!
Sep 28, 2006
BN1
speed cameras are not in place to make money or indeed catch you speeding at all!

they are simply in place to make people think about their speed and will only catch those driving at a speed that is deemed dangerous in the places cameras are located.

in my opinion as someone who has been driving about 2 and a half years, and has never been caught, you must have no care or concentration on the road if you miss a big speed camera, its BRIGHT YELLOW FFS! :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here