Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Special Buses: Negotiations Ongoing with Alternative Bus Co + "supporter contributiion"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can we infiltrate the cycling geeks into this thread I wonder ???

I biked a lot of last season from Portslade, along the sea front, up the Lewes Road. Pretty much flat, easy ride. 40mins. Could leave at 1.45pm, grab a pint before the game, clap the team off at my leisure, home by 6pm. Stewards always let me put my stuff (helmet, waterproof) in their little cupboard which I collected afterwards. Some nights it was wet and cold, but still better than queues and cramped carriages. It's a win win!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Special Buses: Negotiations Ongoing with Alternative Bus Co + "supporter contri

I've said it before but the train should only be free between Brighton and Falmer as that is the part that is impossible to check tickets. The TOCs can protect their own revenue outwith that area.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well that sounds great eh surely?? Anything to moan about in that? No more having to leave early, extra stops and running from further afield, what's not to like?

In principle I agree - just depends on how much that "small" cost is going to be. They'll be a balance to strike between getting extra money out of people towards the transport costs and people possibly spending less on food and drink at the ground.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Not reading through 15 pages so not sure if this has already been said , so here goes
Went into seagull travel office this morning in Lancing and was told that they will be taking over the previous free bus service but with a small charge taking place this year of around £3/4
The £50 levy doesn't cover all the costs of hiring the buses, this system will garantee you a seat where as it was jump on free some people on route were left behind if the bus was full ( not my words so don't shoot the messenger)
So at say £4 a game it's gonna cost you £96
image.jpg

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
In principle I agree - just depends on how much that "small" cost is going to be. They'll be a balance to strike between getting extra money out of people towards the transport costs and people possibly spending less on food and drink at the ground.
£3.75 plus £1 booking fee..... or £75 for the season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So there will be a greatly improved service for the special bus routes mentioned with reserved seats but it will mean a small charge

Reserved seats will end the free for all and uncertainty of waiting for a Special bus and watching it go sailing by because it is full up. No more leaving on 85 minutes to be first in the queue and shoving to get on as they will now have a set departure time. The club won't make huge losses on providing this as passengers will make up the shortfall between the transport levy and actual running costs.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Reserved seats will end the free for all and uncertainty of waiting for a Special bus and watching it go sailing by because it is full up. No more leaving on 85 minutes to be first in the queue and shoving to get on as they will now have a set departure time. The club won't make huge losses on providing this as passengers will make up the shortfall between the transport levy and actual running costs.

Win win as far as I can see

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not reading through 15 pages so not sure if this has already been said , so here goes
Went into seagull travel office this morning in Lancing and was told that they will be taking over the previous free bus service but with a small charge taking place this year of around £3/4
The £50 levy doesn't cover all the costs of hiring the buses, this system will garantee you a seat where as it was jump on free some people on route were left behind if the bus was full ( not my words so don't shoot the messenger)
So at say £4 a game it's gonna cost you £96
View attachment 44890

Just to mention , it wasn't free because the club charged a transport levy so passengers did pay indirectly.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

Yep the club addressing a couple of real problems and improving the service for their 'customers'. Makes all of those with a grudge against the club/Barber at the moment look rather stupid today..

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Agreed , until some **** decides to report the club to the ASA because they didn't know about it when they bought a season ticket :lolol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've said it before but the train should only be free between Brighton and Falmer as that is the part that is impossible to check tickets. The TOCs can protect their own revenue outwith that area.
In terms of the mechanics of checking tickets I totally agree. But then you're up against the whole 'sustainable transport' idea which said that if train tickets from Haywards Heath etc are 'free' then people will use the train as opposed to driving. Is it time to revisit that, or is that an inalienable part of the Planning Permission?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Makes all of those with a grudge against the club/Barber at the moment look rather stupid today..

Who's got a grudge ? There are some of us that think the clubs communication skills / PR are dire but I don't see how that is a grudge.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Fair to say Seagull Travel have done pretty well out of the move to the Amex!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here