Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spastic In Space!!

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
rool said:
Not particularly offended by it just thought that the word spastic stoped being funny around the time nig nog, honky etc also became an unacceptable insult.

Mind you my 12 and 13 year olds regularly can be caught calling each other it.

About somes it up, if you're over forty it tends to have a different meaning than if you're in your twenties.

To me in it's particularly nasty expressions equating some who is 'normal' and being an idiot to someone who's disabled, implying that by being disabled your're deemed less than human.

For the younger generation ( I can't believe I've just typed that:down: ), it just means an idiot with no link to being disabled. hence why I find it offensive and magoo doesn't. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Ozymandias said:
About somes it up, if you're over forty it tends to have a different meaning than if you're in your twenties.

To me in it's particularly nasty expressions equating some who is 'normal' and being an idiot to someone who's disabled, implying that by being disabled your're deemed less than human.

For the younger generation ( I can't believe I've just typed that:down: ), it just means an idiot with no link to being disabled. hence why I find it offensive and magoo doesn't. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here.

listen people, i was often called a spastic, albeit years ago in a less PC era because people just assumed that every disability comes under the umbrella of SPASTIC! one of my best friends has CP. i have other aquantances with various disabilities and we always use SPASTIC as a general term and it's many colourful variations when verbally abusing each other. i'm not saying it's RIGHT to call people spastics but you'd think if anyone was going to be offended it would be me/us. i can't belive i'm having to explain myself :dunce:

so mr Ozymandias i am not an idiot with no link to being disabled, i'm just an idiot!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
magoo said:
so mr Ozymandias i am not an idiot with no link to being disabled, i'm just an idiot!
All is forgiven. That just made me chuckle.

It did shock me a little that you'd post with that title, as you seem to be one the people that actually think before posting. No offence meant by calling you a spaz, just trying to make a point as I have a lot of respect for Stephen Hawking.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
magoo said:
54486.jpg
You`re out of order with that heading.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Now pictures of MONGS in Reading tops I really do find offensive........

:jester:

Trufflehound said:
Can't think why. Surely "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"?

My point exactly. I painted him in a a very cheeky lighthearted fond way.
If I'd tucked my arms up my sleeves, gurned and dribled, thrown myself down the stairs whilst shouting 'look at me I'm weightless spaker Hawkins' then she would have every right to admonish me.

Its a bloody minefield, this joking lark.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here