Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spain v Scotland *** Official Match Thread ***

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Tartan Army are in confident mood in Alicante

Get the excuses in beforehand, just how unlucky can you get .....

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: David Marshall (Cardiff City), Allan McGregor (Rangers), Cammy Bell (Kilmarnock)

Defenders: Stephen McManus (Middlesbrough), Steven Whittaker (Rangers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Phil Bardsley (Sunderland), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Lee Wallace (Rangers), Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic)

Midfielders: Charlie Adam (Liverpool), Barry Bannan (Aston Villa), Don Cowie (Cardiff City), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), James Forrest (Celtic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Steven Naismith (Rangers), Barry Robson (Middlesbrough), James McArthur (Wigan Athletic), Danny Swanson (Dundee United)

Forwards: David Goodwillie (Blackburn Rovers), Craig Mackail-Smith (Brighton and Hove Albion), Kenny Miller (Cardiff City)

Spain squad

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Victor Valdes (Barcelona), Pepe Reina (Liverpool)

Defenders: Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Jordi Alba (Valencia)

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Malaga), Thiago Alcantara (Barcelona), Xavi (Barcelona), Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao), David Silva (Manchester City)

Forwards: David Villa (Barcelona), Pedro (Barcelona), Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Juan Mata (Chelsea)

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Get the excuses in beforehand, just how unlucky can you get .....

Czechs get an equaliser in the last minute. Scotland 12/1 to win.

A Herculian task, but Hercules beat Barcelona.

Last edited:

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
a 10,000 strong Tartan army on the razz in Alicante - the fact that we are ahead of the Czech republic actually is quite a good effort. Although that last minute penalty at Hampden the Czech's got will come back to haunt the lads tonight.

8 players in the premiership are in our line-up tonight and although its a damning indictment on the state of Scottish domestic football - its still a pretty good effort from the boys so far given the expectation we had at the outset of this campagin.

We are actually getting a wee bit better at beating the poorer sides but we really, in my opionion, lost our chance when we dropped two points at home to the Czechs.

I can see an early goal for the Spanish and then a fearfull beating only to find out at the end that Lithuania beat the Czechs. Typical.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
I'm going to support the country that Scotland fans would if England were playing Spain

COME ON SPAIN!!!!!!!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
a 10,000 strong Tartan army on the razz in Alicante - the fact that we are ahead of the Czech republic actually is quite a good effort. Although that last minute penalty at Hampden the Czech's got will come back to haunt the lads tonight.

8 players in the premiership are in our line-up tonight and although its a damning indictment on the state of Scottish domestic football - its still a pretty good effort from the boys so far given the expectation we had at the outset of this campagin.

We are actually getting a wee bit better at beating the poorer sides but we really, in my opionion, lost our chance when we dropped two points at home to the Czechs.

I can see an early goal for the Spanish and then a fearfull beating only to find out at the end that Lithuania beat the Czechs. Typical.

Clearly its going to be the traditional heroic goal difference exit. Same as it ever was :down:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What are the permutations? I presume a draw is good enough for the Czechs when Scotland lose?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
What are the permutations? I presume a draw is good enough for the Czechs when Scotland lose?
Yep, Scotland need to match Czech result (so they need them to lose).

Personally I hope they go through, CMS at Euro 2012 would be cool.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Spain v Scotland

Venue:
Estadio José Rico Pérez Alicante

Referee: Kevin Blom

Date: Tuesday 11 October Kick-off: 1945 BST Coverage: Live on BBC One Scotland, BBC Two elsewhere in UK, BBC Radio Scotland 810MW, BBC Sport website (UK users only)

BBC Sport - Spain Diary: Tuesday

Can Scotland do it? Will Scotland do it? If they do, who will they play in the play-offs?

There are many ifs and maybes as the Scots face group winners Spain looking for a sequence of results that will leave them ahead of the Czech Republic, who take on Lithuania, as runners-up in Euro 2012 qualifying Group I. Craig Levein's side are a point ahead of the Czechs, who will qualify because of a better head-to-head record should the two sides finish level on points.

While the winners of the nine groups qualify automatically for the finals in Ukraine and Poland, the teams that finish second will have to go through another home and away tie against one of the other second-placed teams to claim a spot at the finals.

The best runners-up of the nine groups also qualify automatically. That position at the moment looks like going to Sweden, who are currently second in Group E. If Sweden beat the Netherlands, who have already qualified as group winners, they qualify directly.

BBC Sport - Play-off scenario

Look at the attendances @

UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying Group I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The general feeling in Scotland is one of resentment to referee Kevin Blom. The Dutchman who, a month ago, awarded Czech Republic a controversial penalty then failed to do the same for Scotland at the other end moments later. Two decisions which ultimately took qualification out of Scotland's own hands.

Scotland's problems, however, began in the reverse fixture when Craig Levein opted to play a 4-6-0 formation in Prague. It sent out a negative message to the rest of the group and, more importantly, to the Scottish players. Levein was effectively telling his players that he did not believe that they were good enough to go to the Czech Republic and win the game.

Spain v Scotland: Scottish qualification hopes lie in Kaunas : Euro 2012 : UK Ireland Football

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Come on Spain. CMS to stay injury free is the most important thing. Other than that a 5 nil thrashing would be nice.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Could add a few million to his value, yes.

Anyhow, this is all rather pointless as there is no way Scotland will get anything in Spain (aside from a SPANKING) and the Czech Republic will therefore snaffle the point they need.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
£5 on CMS to score first @ 10-1. Doubt I'll see that fiver again!!
cash-in-the-recycle-bin-thumb19019844.jpg

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
They certainly don't believe in taking their foot off the gas just because they've qualified, do they? :down:

No, was expecting a few of the lesser knowns to be in there to get some experience etc, but no, first teamers all the way.

CMS is 12/1 for 1st goalscorer on Ladbrokes

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Could add a few million to his value, yes.

Anyhow, this is all rather pointless as there is no way Scotland will get anything in Spain (aside from a SPANKING) and the Czech Republic will therefore snaffle the point they need.

Don't forget they'd still have to win a two legged play off tie before they qualify

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
No, was expecting a few of the lesser knowns to be in there to get some experience etc, but no, first teamers all the way.

CMS is 12/1 for 1st goalscorer on Ladbrokes
Hopefully Thiago might get on. :drool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here