Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southwick Power Station is on fire

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The gas-fired station is built on the site of the B station, and named after nearby Shoreham-by-Sea. It is owned by Scottish Power, being constructed by Alstom and Mott MacDonald, and opened in 2002 costing £150m. It was originally owned by South Coast Power Ltd, a consortium of Scottish Power and SEEBOARD (owned by Central and South West Corporation). In September 2004, Scottish Power bought the other 50% share of the power station for £26m from American Electric Power. The Monarch's Way footpath passes next to the station, and the station backs on to Southwick Beach.
It is a 400 megawatt (MW) CCGT-type power station that runs on natural gas. There is one Alstom gas turbine from which the exhaust gases heat an ABB heat recovery steam generator which drives an ABB steam turbine, in a single-shaft configuration. The chimney is 100m tall, and a local landmark. ... is this the one ??????

You mean the one near Fatboy's gaff yea ?

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Brighton A Power Station.... The construction on the Southwick power station commenced in 1904, its site chosen because of its position on the harbour, meaning plentiful supply of water for cooling, and access to seaborne coal. The first phase of the station opened in June 1906, with a generating capacity of 5,470 kW. The station was given various modifications and extensions, and by 1946 it had a capacity of 190 megawatts (MW) The A station was closed on 15 March 1976 with a generating capacity of 53 MW.

this one then ??? says its closed though?

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
The gas-fired station is built on the site of the B station, and named after nearby Shoreham-by-Sea. It is owned by Scottish Power, being constructed by Alstom and Mott MacDonald, and opened in 2002 costing £150m. It was originally owned by South Coast Power Ltd, a consortium of Scottish Power and SEEBOARD (owned by Central and South West Corporation). In September 2004, Scottish Power bought the other 50% share of the power station for £26m from American Electric Power. The Monarch's Way footpath passes next to the station, and the station backs on to Southwick Beach.
It is a 400 megawatt (MW) CCGT-type power station that runs on natural gas. There is one Alstom gas turbine from which the exhaust gases heat an ABB heat recovery steam generator which drives an ABB steam turbine, in a single-shaft configuration. The chimney is 100m tall, and a local landmark. ... is this the one ??????

Yes... :yawn:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Its somewhat ironic that the debate on the fire has generated more hot air than the fire and the power station combined..... unless Loco61 knows better ?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Ah, now we KNOW what's wrong with you, its the LATENT poisons FROM the old power station AND gasworks which HAS caused your FONT disabilities.

f***ing hell, what is it with people confusing myself with ERNEST? Being able to read isn't rocket science

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
f***ing hell, what is it with people confusing myself with ERNEST? Being able to read isn't rocket science

Easy tiger, 'twas a simple alcohol induced confusion.....

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think you'll find it's the new building next to it that's on fire.

Smoke billowing out at ten o'clock. Great pictures of flames before that! Didn't get the flames pics till ten to eleven. Part of the Power Station. Gas cut off to houses in Southwick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here