Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southwick FC

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They were in the Sussex league 4 years ago, just goes to show how far you can go in such a short space of time with a bit of money *.

* plus a couple of staffies and geezers with sawn off shotguns (allegedly) :wink: :lol:

I once watched a game Southwick were playing in against Haywards Heath many years ago, some sort of Cup game played at a neutral venue if I recall correctly.

There was one bloke watching who was spectacularly drunk and spent the entire 1st half shouting Up The Wickers over and over again at the top of his lungs while swigging out of some bottle or other, he eventually fell unconscious into some bushes and was carried away by others.

No relevance at all to the thread I know, but it always stuck in my mind and I wonder what became of him.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I've sort of started following Maidstone United, I can tell you now, MUFC are not in conference, they just got promoted from isthmian south..

Crap :facepalm: , The Hawks are playing Maidenhead United , shouldn't affect the attendance though :lol:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I once watched a game Southwick were playing in against Haywards Heath many years ago, some sort of Cup game played at a neutral venue if I recall correctly.

There was one bloke watching who was spectacularly drunk and spent the entire 1st half shouting Up The Wickers over and over again at the top of his lungs while swigging out of some bottle or other, he eventually fell unconscious into some bushes and was carried away by others.

No relevance at all to the thread I know, but it always stuck in my mind and I wonder what became of him.
His name was Gordon a great character I think sadly passed away a few years ago one of the many faces that went to most games he probably didn't remember he went though after the amount of whiskey he drank :)

just wondering if you have to pay a a couple quid or can you just stroll in for free, this is something like the 14th tier of English football we're talking about after all.
OK so you might not know that some (all?) of the players will be semi-pro or that the floodlights don't power themselves, but you must know it's an enclosed football ground so why would you think you could get in for free?

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
OK so you might not know that some (all?) of the players will be semi-pro or that the floodlights don't power themselves, but you must know it's an enclosed football ground so why would you think you could get in for free?

As I said, I had have no idea, how do you define semi pro though, are these players semi pro or are they amateur?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
It'll be a fiver then I'm guessing, I would have thought they play for free, teams 3 or 4 tiers up don't pay their players a penny.
The Sussex County League is at Step 5 of the non-league "pyramid". A team 4 tiers above would be in the Conference Premier, and I think you will find that the players in that league get well paid.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Only went there once, for a County League Div 1 championship decider against Chichester in very early 80's. Micky Edmonds missed a penalty for Southwick and they lost 1-0 I think.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Only went there once, for a County League Div 1 championship decider against Chichester in very early 80's. Micky Edmonds missed a penalty for Southwick and they lost 1-0 I think.

well remembered...and Richard Reynolds (ex Pompey) was player manager for chi.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I remember our reserves got knocked out of the SSC by Southwick on one occasion. Sean McFadden played in goal (ended up at Hastings - no idea how long he played for them). Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Gerry Armstrong get his marching orders for an altercation with a fan and the sack from the club soon afterwards? Disappointing really, as I had high hopes for him when he signed - scorer of the goal in Northern Ireland's victory over Spain in the 1982 World Cup, but he turned out to be a forerunner of Barn Door Billy. I think he only scored one goal for the first team, away at Oxford in the 1988-1989 season. Again, someone will be able to say whether I'm right on this or not.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The game against Chichester was one of Southwick's biggest, although they were runners-up for about three or four times in the late 70s / early 80s this was the only one that was a decider between the top two (1980 I think). I was right behind the goal for the penalty - all ready to celebrate the title. Not to be. But from there Southwick went onto better things for some while, being in the Isthmian League - and doing well. They've slumped somewhat since then.

They also had a really good cup run in the 1980s, getting to the 4th qualifying round and taking Maidstone (who went into the league soon after) to two replays. I tried driving my old Triumph Herald to the away game, but broke down on the A27 before even starting northwards.

The Gerry Armstrong incident was a classic - he headbutted a fan. However, I'm pretty sure he did score more than once for the Albion. There was an away match against Northampton where we could only see one end properly because of the stand in the way! A dull game, followed by an very late goal for Northampton. With a prompt equaliser from Armstrong. We chortled all the way home.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I remember them getting into the first round of the FA cup back in the 70s back and going o see them go down 6 - 0 at Bournemouth. I think they had a better team in those days, but still County League I think.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Gerry Armstrong get his marching orders for an altercation with a fan and the sack from the club soon afterwards?

I was there that day, marvellous entertainment!

Gerry had just been sent off, and presumably he was getting some stick from the bloke (I was the other side of the ground) as he walked past, so Gerry nutted him! Think Eric Cantona, except he nutted him, and I also seem to think Gerry actually went onto the terrace to get to him, he wasn't down the front like Eric's victim. He then came back down the terrace, and off down the tunnel.

We went for a beer in the Sports Centre after the game, and by the time we came out, Gerry was sat in the back of a police car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here