Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] SOUTHGATE: I'm finally heating up a MASSIVE humble pie.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Does anybody else think that we actually have a number of seriously talented youngsters in the squad now. ?

I can't ever remember there being such a large number of brilliant players , that aren't even regulars. ( Grealish, Saka, Sancho, White, Mount, Chillwell,Rashford .....almost an embarrassment of riches ).

Yes, but many occupy the same positions as each other.

Stones always has a ricket in him. In turn he's covered by Rice and Phillips in order that we don't concede. If Bissouma was English he'd be ahead of both of them.

On the other hand Lamptey must be looking at the right back opposition with utter despair, while if Trossard were English he'd play even less than he has for Belgium.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Half of NSC couldn’t be bothered with the Euro’s before it started bet they all tuned in for it though especially the last two England games.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It can be very difficult at times to watch, I call him Gareth Sideways.

However, he has clearly found a recipe to get these young players through games. Looking back we've always relied on one or two star players hoping that be enough.

Somewhere he has managed to defuse the weight on those players throughout the squad and to keep those who previously would had all the attention (e.g. Grealish) somewhat backstage but part of the squad.

Turgid at times, but probably the best chance we'd had to win an international tournament since 96.

It's all about breaking the cycle of failure and that can look very different from moving forwards.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I’m still waiting for those who maligned Southgate for not choosing Albion’s back three to be England’s starting back three. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Save a slice for me when we get to the final because that will be an improvement and that is what every football club and international team strives for.
And anyway, without conceding we did look poor early on but we have improved and tonight we looked really good, in fact I am no longer worried about playing any of the teams left in.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Why? You either rate the way the team are set up and play or you don't. Nail your bloody colours to a bloody mast before they get all faded (and presumably soaked in blood, given the imagery).

Over 50 years watching England, there is no way I’m counting a single bloody chicken until it’s in the coop and laying cackle berries.

I’ve been here too many times before.

It’s the hope that kills.

And anyway, ITV has Wednesdays game, we don’t win important games on ITV.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

That genuinely is the only thing that makes me doubt our ability to win on Wednesday. For the sake of the nation, please can ITV give it to the Beeb?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Over 50 years watching England, there is no way I’m counting a single bloody chicken until it’s in the coop and laying cackle berries.

I’ve been here too many times before.

It’s the hope that kills.

I'm happy to say I think he's doing a good job, regardless of the final result.

His virtues in terms of man management and keeping the atmosphere around the squad calm are much more useful now (ie at the pointy end of tournaments) than they are in between, which I suspect is part of the reason for so many people over the last year or so saying things like "I got carried away during the world cup but now realise he's shit".

I don't think that means I'm betting the house on us winning the whole thing. That I don't own a house is entirely incidental.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Don’t care if we win this tournament.
I’ve been Southgate OUT since Southgate was IN.
Nothing will change that, never liked him, never will.
Palace ****

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It can be very difficult at times to watch, I call him Gareth Sideways.

However, he has clearly found a recipe to get these young players through games. Looking back we've always relied on one or two star players hoping that be enough.

Somewhere he has managed to defuse the weight on those players throughout the squad and to keep those who previously would had all the attention (e.g. Grealish) somewhat backstage but part of the squad.

Turgid at times, but probably the best chance we'd had to win an international tournament since 96.

It's all about breaking the cycle of failure and that can look very different from moving forwards.

Just to provide some perspective: So far, we have beaten teams below us in the world rankings, which is what happened at the World Cup, when we also lost to all the teams we played who were above us.

The good news is that none of the three teams above us in today's rankings (Belgium, France, Brazil) are in the last four of this competition.

Mind you, I don't think we should be getting carried away today after beating a tired Ukraine side who hadn't a clue about defending ...

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Humble pie here. As a nation of bottle jobs i thought we'd fail to get out of the group and certainly not beat the Germans.

I don't think he's the next Pep but he seems to have a plan. Not convinced we'll win it but bugger me if after Iceland you'd said our next boss would take us to consecutive semi's I'd have bitten your hand off.

The draw might have been kind but kind draws have seen us knocked out by Iceland and fail to get out of a group containing Algeria and USA in recent times.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

cancelled

Oct 29, 2020
Really funny to think of all the abuse he has taken, when he is the man who has taken England to two successive semi-finals.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think regardless of whether you rate him as a manager or not you have to respect his achievements with England.

He's only the second manager (Alf Ramsey being the first) to take England to consecutive tournament semi finals. And only the fourth manager to even get to one semi final.

He's won more knock out games in his two tournaments than we have in our previous ten.

Ended our penalty shoot out hoodoo.

Beat a major nation in the knockouts for the first time in decades.

Ended our hoodoo against Germany in knock out games.

Got our biggest ever world cup win.

got our biggest ever Euros win.

First team in Euros history to go the first five games without conceding.

Made the team likeable and relatable again.

He's changed the narrative around England in major tournaments.

That's pretty impressive regardless of your personal opinions of him. And he's done a lot of that whilst insisting that Mings is one of the country's best defenders...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think regardless of whether you rate him as a manager or not you have to respect his achievements with England.

He's only the second manager (Alf Ramsey being the first) to take England to consecutive tournament semi finals. And only the fourth manager to even get to one semi final.

He's won more knock out games in his two tournaments than we have in our previous ten.

Ended our penalty shoot out hoodoo.

Beat a major nation in the knockouts for the first time in decades.

Ended our hoodoo against Germany in knock out games.

Got our biggest ever world cup win.

got our biggest ever Euros win.

First team in Euros history to go the first five games without conceding.

Made the team likeable and relatable again.

He's changed the narrative around England in major tournaments.

That's pretty impressive regardless of your personal opinions of him. And he's done a lot of that whilst insisting that Mings is one of the country's best defenders...

. . . yeah but . . . tactics.:lolol::lolol:

He has done much better than I expected that is for sure! Great appointment.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone who still thinks he’s a hopeless tactician clearly hasn’t watched our games in this tournament.

We’ve dominated and dictated a lot of the play in most games.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Anyone who still thinks he’s a hopeless tactician clearly hasn’t watched our games in this tournament.

We’ve dominated and dictated a lot of the play in most games.

Yep set up well across the defence and the two deeper midfielders. You can see teams second-guessing their passes as they look up and see a white wall in front of them.

I hope to see what Spain or Italy can do against us with a stronger/shorter passing game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here