Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern trains

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well I am sure SR can rely on your business nous to know they got it wrong.

How long have you been an expert on revenue collection then ?

By the look of it its not just mine is it? Its more common sense.

Clearly not as long as you have

and using your stats, how long will it take to repay the money spent on the gates on 60% more of not a lot of people using the hassocks to Burgess hill journey?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This stat sounds very suspect! Since the small stations on the line are the only ones without ticket gates, most people would have to buy a ticket to get through at one end or the other?

it does sound alot, but people might buy only London Travel card for the London end if theres no barriers at home end. also you can quite easily tailgate someone through the barriers at busy London terminals. bit risker though im sure theres a few on my train that do that.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
But no doubt when the performance tables are published all targets will have magically been met or exceeded – after all you can’t have these CEO chappies not picking up their annual half million pound bonuses. Next year will be exactly the same – if the temperature drops a bit and there is a light dusting of snow – the whole system will fall apart again. The UK may not have the least efficient train network in Europe but a quick Google search shows it probably has the most expensive.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I got the 10.04 train from Brighton to Bedford, getting off at London Bridge. It took 90 mins but that's normal for an FCC regardless of the snow.

Got the H Heath about 7am and was there with plenty of others for over an hour. Managed to sneak on a Brighton train and ended up going to Churchill Sq for a bit. Ended up at work about midday, pitiful service.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
No, wrong type of service provider...what happened to that promise to renationalise Mr Prescott??? Of course he's a Lord now. And they only had 13 YEARS to fulfill that commitment. Did they f**k.

Why on earth would nationalised trains be any better ? All you'll do is replace the current lot with non-accountable people who have no incentive to make things better, or work at all. There is no need to go back to the 20th century, move forward and make these companies properly accountable for their service, or take the franchise away from them. I have to say, having commuted Shoreham to London for 22 years, the service most of the time now is much better than it used to be, but when things go wrong it is terrible.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
we *might* have snow for a week in Decmeber, another in Feburary. how many years in the past ten as there been no snow in the south, quite a few iirc.

But we can't base our transport plans on a few exceptionally mild winters. We're a northern countries and we have cold winters in December, January and February -that's been the case for hundreds of years and we certainly shouldn't be basing transport policies on a few exceptional years.

What I don't understand is what has changed in the last 30 years. I recall living in Bradford in 1979 during the coldest and snowiest winter for 30 years: there was snow on the ground from early January to mid March, with no let up. During that time I caught the train to several Albion games, some trips out to see friends, a couple of visits to Manchester and Leeds and had no problems. Despite near blizzard conditions on some days, not a single lecture or tutorial was cancelled and the buses kept running. What I genuinely don't know is how we could cope with it then and not now.

I do know that the effects of snow are worse today as people live a lot further away - hence the horror stories of yesterday - but I really don't know why we can't cope with what are really normal winter conditions After all, it was about - 1 or - 2 yesterday - that's not particularly exceptional.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
OK you guys clearly have been there and done the stats so I am sure you all know best :thumbsup:

Meanwhile I am sure SR are tackling their ticketless travel problem in the right way.

The gates pay for themselves in around 6 months or so but don't let that change your judgement on what you are so clearly experts at.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That would be Switzerland I imagine. Fug me it's expensive on the trains out there.....

We were out there for the England game the other week and trained from Zurich Airport to Basel which is just over an hour and it was £42 return coming back the next day. Which I didn't think was massively more expensive than over here (I was looking at getting a single to Southampton the other week and it was £32!!). Trains are much nicer as well!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We were out there for the England game the other week and trained from Zurich Airport to Basel which is just over an hour and it was £42 return coming back the next day. Which I didn't think was massively more expensive than over here (I was looking at getting a single to Southampton the other week and it was £32!!). Trains are much nicer as well!

Not sure I agree with much nicer, but pretty much nail on the head... We had some old slam door thing

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
At 8 a.m. my friend finished a 12 hour shift at the London hospital where she works.
I looked online at the train website and it says the half hourly train to Brighton is running on time - and has said this all morning and still says it now.
The poor cow got over to Victoria only to find this is all f***ing lies and there has only been one train out so far this morning.
These f***ing people responsible for the shit train service and the blatant misinformation need to be f***ing sacked.
They won't be though, and next time we have a bit of snow the same thing will happen.

In case it isn't clear, I am f***ing furious with these incompetent fools, and I'm pretty pissed off with myself for not checking what was really going on, on NSC instead of that useless rail enquiries website.

The C word is not too strong for those bastards

....and if it's anything like the County, if she doesn't turn up for to nights shift she will be hauled over the coals.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Not massively, but definitely more expensive. We paid £200 in advance Zurich airport to Kandersteg, which is 100 miles or so. They did appear though, from my little experience to be more efficient. Ran like clockwork.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
OK you guys clearly have been there and done the stats so I am sure you all know best :thumbsup:

Meanwhile I am sure SR are tackling their ticketless travel problem in the right way.

The gates pay for themselves in around 6 months or so but don't let that change your judgement on what you are so clearly experts at.

Do you work for the railways?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Really ? I'm surprised. I was told that all the recent work at Shoreham to get the gates and machines in (which still don't work most days), cost around £1/2 million. That's an aweful lot of tickets to pay for that, considering I would think most non-payers are only going to, say, portslade or somehwere local, as you can't get away without being checked going to London or usually Brighton. At a coeple of quid a time that's a lot to make up. Don't get me wrong, people should pay for their journeys, I'm fed up with subsidising them through my £3,688 a year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here