Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Railways Major Delays On The Brighton Line 17th September

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Got to Brighton station at 6.20 to face the mountains of people. Loads of cancelled signes up and then the announcements came in that the 6.51 to victoria would be the first to leave so everybody runs to it. Train is heaving as it leaves Brighton and unbearable after Preston Park.

the out of service train was apparently a southbound one and had been shunted to haywards heath by 7.15.

Train does leave on time and gets to East Croydon about 15 mins late. On the train there are a series of differing announcements as to the cause of the delay. The most interesting was that the failed train had hit debris on the line at balcombe tunnel. If true that is the 4th issue with that tunnel in the last year. Not sure how the BML will cope if that tunnel is a long term problem.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Got to Brighton station at 6.20 to face the mountains of people. Loads of cancelled signes up and then the announcements came in that the 6.51 to victoria would be the first to leave so everybody runs to it. Train is heaving as it leaves Brighton and unbearable after Preston Park.

the out of service train was apparently a southbound one and had been shunted to haywards heath by 7.15.

Train does leave on time and gets to East Croydon about 15 mins late. On the train there are a series of differing announcements as to the cause of the delay. The most interesting was that the failed train had hit debris on the line at balcombe tunnel. If true that is the 4th issue with that tunnel in the last year. Not sure how the BML will cope if that tunnel is a long term problem.

Nothing to do with the tunnel today

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Went to catch my usual 8.06 from Preston Park. In the end had to wait for the 8.12 and then it sat at the station for 10 minutes. Arrived at Burgess Hill only 20 minutes later than usual so didn't effect me too bad today.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The standard of service on the trains these days seems to be getting worse and worse, not that the TOCs are bothered of course as they keep shoving the fairs up knowing full well that people are reliant on the trains to get to work and therefore have little choice but to pay what is demanded of them.

Ever more expensive tickets and ever poorer levels of customer service...the joys of being a commuter.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Half hour delay for me, which wouldn't have been too bad, but when I went to get a seat I noticed the "passenger" occupying the window seat was using a Palace wallet to hold his train ticket.

You wouldn't believe how fast I moved to grab the only other empty seat in the carriage. Beats me why they can't bring back third class tickets for these lowlifes.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The service this summer has been pretty good. Was the first time today since March time that I've had a significant delay. It's the winter that is the problem, normally because people more people decide that they want to end their lives.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The standard of service on the trains these days seems to be getting worse and worse, not that the TOCs are bothered of course as they keep shoving the fairs up knowing full well that people are reliant on the trains to get to work and therefore have little choice but to pay what is demanded of them.

Ever more expensive tickets and ever poorer levels of customer service...the joys of being a commuter.

Summed up BRILLIANTLY

Im very close to Stockholm Syndrome...when you have been ANALLY RAPED for SO LONG and so SO OFTEN you eventually fall in love with your captor.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I recall a number of years ago a bunch of commuters were so f***ed off with a service in Bristol (I think) that they mounted a huge protest/direct action which became a national story and shamed the TOC and the government into doing something. Maybe time for the same?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I recall a number of years ago a bunch of commuters were so f***ed off with a service in Bristol (I think) that they mounted a huge protest/direct action which became a national story and shamed the TOC and the government into doing something. Maybe time for the same?

Indeed. All I ask for is a train that WORKS. But it seems thats too much to ask for these days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. All I ask for is a train that WORKS. But it seems thats too much to ask for these days.

And a TOC which is up for the challenge of getting punters from a to b and which does not shirk their responsibilty the moment there is a light dusting of snow or too many people at a gig. I wonder what would happen if I told my boss it was a bit too cold and I could not work? Or it's too busy so I cannot work? Southern Trains is an anagram of Spineless Shitters. Well, almost.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah I got that one as well (usually get the 06:30). Plus at East Croydon the train was delayed further as in the crush someone was taken ill. Surprised it wasn't more because as you say it was rammed when it left Brighton. (Although it didn't stop at Preston Park!)

We've been lucky at the Amex that there haven't been any major train problems. It's so annoying that a small incident can paralyse an entire transport system.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Like a big company would actually take notice ? Blame the government for the fare rises. Things can always breakdown at any time, was clearly a big fault this morning for the whole line to be closed for 90 minutes - causing widespread disruption for most of the AM rush - so nothing can be done about that (except maybe checking what the fault is and making sure its isolated and not on every train). There were 4 trains out of Brighton this morning to London between 5 and 7 - think thats about 75% which were cancelled.

That said, your mentioning First Great Western - who were really, really bad (had major overcrowding, very poor reliability) - worse than we get it down here. That said they did win Company of the Year last year i think.

Today was the first big problem for a while though and of course it never rains......

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... and now I've been delayed getting home! Gatwick Express got as far as Gatwick and decided that was as far as it was going!

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Didn't stop at Preston Park as I was on the platform there. They cancel the 06:40 then run the 06:51 - tuff 5hit if you're at Preston Park. Had to get a crappy FCC to St Pancras, finally got to work at 09:50.

And, just to finish off the day the 18:45 Victoria to Brighton failed at Gatwick. Of course they didn't tell us this until the next Brighton train just pulled out from the next platform!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here