Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I dont blame the linesman for DEFEAT

I blame the PLAYERS

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
there was only 2 dodgy lino decisions

one for the offside on murray where he took it down, round a player, then was flagged

one when the lino sent the ball went out of play for a goal kick right in front of our end, which CLEARLY didnt

the rest i couldnt tell from the angle we stood behind the goal

I dunno, mate, thought there were at least four dodgy decisions. Granted, we're behind the goal, but the way Martot had to be restrained by the fourth official when he was remonstrating with the lino, makes me feel we weren't the only ones angry at another poor performance from an official.

Oh, and what about the Southend yellow card in the first half after one of our boys was shoved in the face?! Hand to face, straight red imo, and they scored soon after.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We were GREAT in the second half but were completely overrun in the first once Southend scored their fairly fortunate goal.

I don't think I have ever seen 4 players fall over in the build up to a goal before, started by Forster (I think) falling over whilst in a great position to make a cross into their box. Quick ball out of defence by Southend. Cue 3 more players losing their footing and the ball ending up in the back of the net,:(

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The Martot incident was brilliant, shame the 4th official put a stop to it.

As for the yellow, maybe could have been a red, but it was only a push in the face as Cox is so short, any other player that was a chest push, but still he raised his hands and could have gone, and it did make it worse, that players backheel found their centre back to smash home

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
The Martot incident was brilliant, shame the 4th official put a stop to it.

As for the yellow, maybe could have been a red, but it was only a push in the face as Cox is so short, any other player that was a chest push, but still he raised his hands and could have gone, and it did make it worse, that players backheel found their centre back to smash home

They did try and turn on the style last night, didn't they? Think there were a few cheeky backheels. The buggers :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our substitutes were telling the lino he was wrong on a few occassions and they were in line as was he, and I would assume that they know the offside law as well as him.

I thought that the captain of Southend should have been sent off instead of a yellow as he ran about 10 - 15 yds to push Cox (?).

The ref was definitely a 'homer' but I wouldnt blame him for the defeat. We were overall poor, abysmal in the first half but a little better in the 2nd without looking dangerous other than for about 10 mins when we looked like we might score.

When will Wilkins and co realise that we cannot and should not play the diamond formation; because we do not have the players to play like that. when we do play it we allow too much room in the centre of midfield that we cannot close down without having El Abd in the side.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
did we actually force their keeper into making a SAVE

thought southend were really good, got the ball down and knocked it about with ease - at times, worrying ease, as we simply werent shutting down. when there player managed to beat about six of players in one run before pulling a great save out of kuipers was one example

cant argue with the result at the end of the day, the better team won

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
there was only 2 dodgy lino decisions

one for the offside on murray where he took it down, round a player, then was flagged...

That wasn't given as offside (which it clearly wasn't) - he flagged for a foul (on the turn) which was marginal but slightly more understandable.

Despite quite a bit of pressure for spells in both halves we didn't really press their keeper into making a save... and both the goals last night, and 2 of the Port Vale goals came from fast breaks, straight through the middle of our defence. Is this a failing of the 'diamond' ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Steve Tilson has shown at Southend as MA did with us that to get out of this division, which I am sure they will do, you need hardened seasoned pros not young lads with no strength or fight.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Steve Tilson has shown at Southend as MA did with us that to get out of this division, which I am sure they will do, you need hardened seasoned pros not young lads with no strength or fight.

how many young lads did we actually have starting last night though?

elphick, who has as much strength and fight as anybody else in that team, and cox

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Football is now a squad game and we have suffered all season by not having anything on the bench to bring on and change the game. Last nights bench had Gatting Loft, Rents Martot and Robinson great!!!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Like half our starting line-up last night... Kuipers, Butters, Mayo, Thomson, Forster ?

and Whing isn't exactly a shrinking violet either, nor despite his youth, is Elphick.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Like half our starting line-up last night... Kuipers, Butters, Mayo, Thomson, Forster ?

and Whing isn't exactly a shrinking violet either.

Read my previous post abouit the bench. If the chosen 11 are not doing the biz we cannot change the game because we do not have the players or strength in depth.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Read my previous post abouit the bench. If the chosen 11 are not doing the biz we cannot change the game because we do not have the players or strength in depth.

No shit, Sherlock!

Why don't we just go out and buy (and pay wages to) 5 seasoned pro's?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
the way that the 6 celebrated made me think it was him who good booked and then scored - even though you could make the argument that he shouldnt have been on the pitch, it was still a bloody good strike, considering he is a centre back

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No shit, Sherlock!

Why don't we just go out and buy (and pay wages to) 5 seasoned pro's?

There will be a large number available in a couple of weeks so we will have the upper hand with negotiations about wages, so I would suggest shed some of those trhat have had the chance but not taken it and replace them with seasoned pros.

Had anybody ever heard of any of the players that MA brought in so they dont have to be 'names' just seasoned pros who can do the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here