Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton's "goal"

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
To think they thought this might have crossed the line. As if. *scratches nose/rapid blinking/giggles*

Saints007.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The problem is depth perception. It's off the ground, so is the view of green under it due to the it being in the air, or because it's so far past the line? Initially I though it was clearly over the line, but was surprised by the lack of real claims for it from the saints players. When I saw it on ssn I was still sure. Then I saw the photos on the saints website and I wasn't so sure. I still think it probably was, but my certainty has waned somewhat.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
I sit pretty much in line with the goal line in the WSU, and myself and various people around all thought it was in. Haven't seen it on the tv but the above picture pretty much confirms what I saw. Oh well, won't be losing any sleep over it!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Then I saw the photos on the saints website and I wasn't so sure. I still think it probably was, but my certainty has waned somewhat.

Mine hasn't, it was a goal and a joy to behold... after the injustices of St Fairies honours are now even and I have a smug satisfaction that they didn't get away with their home game after all.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
that picture tells you nothing - as a previous poster said, the depth issue means you are not seeing what you think you are. The position of Cook's leg/foot behind the line is the key and gives rise to reasonable doubt that there wasn't enough space for all of the ball to have crossed the line. It is so close that even with goal line technology it might be ruled "unproven" - certainly enough doubt to say that the no goal ruling was spot on.

Whatever it's nice to get a decision go for us and even better given the opposition

Miocene

Mar 23, 2011
Hastings
i know this is gonna keep on and on and on, but from where i sit, (Right behind the goal just a few rows back) it looked close but not over.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm guessing many of the "definitely in" brigade are forgetting the entirety of the ball as seen from above needs to be over the line? Fair chance it wasn't.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I'm guessing many of the "definitely in" brigade are forgetting the entirety of the ball as seen from above needs to be over the line? Fair chance it wasn't.

I think as no-one can conclusively confirm that the ball was or wasn't over the line we should give credit to the ref as if in doubt you can't give a goal. Simples!!

Watching the highlights the lino on the far side was pretty much in a perfect position, and he clearly didn't think it was over the line. And the Southampton players didn't seem to appeal too much except for someone who was outside the penalty area at least 20 yards from the goal line!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
that picture tells you nothing - as a previous poster said, the depth issue means you are not seeing what you think you are. The position of Cook's leg/foot behind the line is the key and gives rise to reasonable doubt that there wasn't enough space for all of the ball to have crossed the line. It is so close that even with goal line technology it might be ruled "unproven" - certainly enough doubt to say that the no goal ruling was spot on.

Whatever it's nice to get a decision go for us and even better given the opposition
Cook's RIGHT knee/thigh appears to be nearly on the goal-line. The ball appears to be "South" of Cook's right knee/thigh. Never a goal.

Josimojo

Aug 4, 2011
I was sat perfectly in line with the goal-line in the 2nd row and I was convinced that it wasn't over but Cook must have been blocking my view of where the ball was. Like a previous poster said- it all rests on whether it was off the ground or not!

I trust D'Urso and his chums judgement!

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
it was never over the line. I have seen photographic proof

Image1.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here