Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton - time to forgive?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
april 1978 - can't forget the feeling of beating blackpool only to find out southampton had fabricated a comfy 0-0 with spurs so they both went up and we stayed down on goal difference. Gutted.

Is it time to forgive and forget?

Not for me. Hope the plastic dons stuff em today.

This. I'd love us to beat them when it doesn't really matter to us and see them miss out to Huddersfield, and Orient!

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
I dislike both Stains and the Spuds for this and will never forget and anything we can do to stop the Stains going up the better. Although will reserve my true hatred towards those pikeys up the road in Smellhurst

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I can't see Gus and the boys agreeing to lose on purpose to Huddersfield, as pay back for something that happened before most of them were born. It would even things up for many of our long standing supporters, but I really can't see it happening. (That's not to say it wouldn't be bloody funny if it did though :lolol: )

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Time to forgive? More like time to forget. Who cares? I despair at all this anti-Saints bollocks on this forum.

Palace are our rivals. End of.

And the best answer to the above......is below.

I dislike both Stains and the Spuds for this and will never forget and anything we can do to stop the Stains going up the better. Although will reserve my true hatred towards those pikeys up the road in Smellhurst

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Remember this game particularly for the sardine-like conditions in the North Stand - don't think I stayed in the same place for five minutes due to the crowd surges :lolol:

I also remember one gentleman of the local constabulary telling us at one point that Spurs were winning at The Dell, cue chants of "going up, going up, going up!" which proved to be sadly unfounded :angry:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Time to forgive? More like time to forget. Who cares? I despair at all this anti-Saints bollocks on this forum.

I have always disliked Southampton as much as Palace, if not even more so. Does anyone remember what the regional TV coverage was like in the 70s and 80s? Both BBC South and TVS had studios in Southampton - the football coverage every week was simply wall-to-wall Saints, with almost daily interviews with McMenemy. They completely and utterly ignored us - even tho we were having the best years in the club's history, and were often above Southampton in the league. It still rankles to this day.

Last edited:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
If I recall correctly The Stranglers were in Brighton that evening (Top Rank?)

My plan was to go to the game then get into Brighton for the Concert.

As it happened on the Sunday before my appendix flared up, I was rushed into Hospital and had my appendix out that evening.

I listened to the game on the radio in Southlands

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

before you start preaching "bollocks" palace are only our rivals if you are under 40 or thereabouts.

perhaps people a little older than you have the history to care or are we no longer categorised as "good fans" ???

btw I have an equal dislike of Palace, Reading, Swindon, Bournemouth and Aldershot all of who - in my time - were much more our direct rivals

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Just out of interest, when Peter Taylor was our manager, was he ever asked about the match? He was probably in the Spurs team that day.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe you had to be at the Blackpool game and have seen the MOTD programme to understand the lingering distaste towards Spurs and Southampton. I don't hate Saints but I would LOVE it if we somehow we could contrive a result to stich them up so that they have to go through the playoffs. At least they'd get the 2nd chance which we never got.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I was in the North Stand that day ... close on a 33,000 crowd. Kept getting conflicting messages that one or the other were winning at the Dell that day. Cheers would go up, I remember Nobby shouting to the North Stand for the Dell score and us lot saying we think Tottscum are winning, we kept thinking the TV stand up the East Stand were giving us scores but it wasn't the case. Was a glorious day and a great result for us, but it went so so flat at full time. It was rigged, of that their is no doubt.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Even if it wasn't rigged to the extent that they'd decided before the game to play out a 0-0 draw, there was no doubt from watching the highlights that neither side were trying to win the game.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Remember this game particularly for the sardine-like conditions in the North Stand - don't think I stayed in the same place for five minutes due to the crowd surges :lolol:

The crowd surges both outside waiting to get in and inside were probably the scariest I have ever witnessed.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Even if it wasn't rigged to the extent that they'd decided before the game to play out a 0-0 draw, there was no doubt from watching the highlights that neither side were trying to win the game.

I suppose if you watch a game through a filter, looking for evidence that both teams aren't trying, that is what you're going to see - even if both teams hit the woodwork. Which appears to have been what happened.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Never ever forgive or forget. I was devastated and cried my young heart out.

Scum til I die

End of.

Last edited:

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Interesting debate guys. I was born at the time but a bit too young to know about it.

For what it's worth if Saints and Spurs did conspire to consolidate their positions, then shame on them (only the playing staff and management will know).

However as an Albion fan I would think far less of my team if they ever 'threw' a game just to spite another team - (re. letting Huddersfield win) It's just an utterly unsporting concept.

All the same I am really enjoying f**king our near neighbours by simply stealing their thunder and being way better.

LondonSaint

Apr 2, 2010
Jeeze people such anger out there-move on.You've deservedly run away with league 1 this year.Well done and you've got a superb new ground to move in to.Look forward not back.

I was at the Dell for that match and certainly as far as both sets of fans were concerned we wanted our teams to win.

What i would say is that both teams didn't play with the intensity you might expect but from my memories of the day and the build up, the whole place was a tinder box due to a massive presence of Spurs nutters who were everywhere in their thousands-the temporary fencing put up was soon dismantled by them and i think this climate of fear had an effect on the game.Hundreds of our fans came on to the pitch at the end but had spuds got on too there would have been carnage.

Anyway-i hope we renew aquantences next season and if we have to do it the hard way so be it-if we don't finish second (and i fancy Hudds for that) then we don't deserve to have done so.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I was at the Blackpool game in 78, with a 5 second mug shot of me in the crowd seen on The Big Match on the Sunday ( rather dashing I was too, even though I say so myself ).

I remember the pain of that day, with the managers holding bloody hands.

Even my stains supporting mate still takes the piss about that day.

So, if we've won the championship by the time we play them, and it's between stains and udders for the other spot, I'll do something I never thought I could do, and that's cheer on udders to beat us.

Forgive and forget? Bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here