Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton - time to forgive?

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
April 1978 - can't forget the feeling of beating Blackpool only to find out Southampton had fabricated a comfy 0-0 with Spurs so they both went up and we stayed down on goal difference. Gutted.

Is it time to forgive and forget?

Not for me. Hope the plastic Dons stuff em today.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It seems that now all but their idiots have accepted that they can't catch us. However they are still giving it large to the other teams involved. Much as I dislike Robinson I hope Franchise win today, of course they won't sadly.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Nor me. I would really like the opportunity to get Hudds promoted when we play them - assuming we've already secured the champs spot by then.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
April 1978 - can't forget the feeling of beating Blackpool only to find out Southampton had fabricated a comfy 0-0 with Spurs so they both went up and we stayed down on goal difference. Gutted.

What evidence do you have of this? Albion fans seem to know an awful lot about a game they didn't go to.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
No, I will neither forgive nor forget SCC & Spurs for stitching us up on that day. I was at the Goldstone for the Blackpool game and have never felt so gutted when the score from the Dell was announced at the end. I was at the top of the East Terrace and managed to get half my face sunburnt like the guy in Close Encounters of the Third Kind! This caused much amusement to the guys I worked with as after the game I had to work a 12 hour night shift. So I had to put up with all the plastic Manure/Liverpool/Arsenal fans taking the piss out of me about the Albion and my half sunburnt face. 12 of the most miserable hours of my life!!

:angry:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
What evidence do you have of this? Albion fans seem to know an awful lot about a game they didn't go to.

The score? Also, I believe there was only 1 chance in the game when Spurs hit the bar in the first 10 mins. After that they agreed a truce and settled down to a game of volleyball over the half way line.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

If you had seen the highlights on MOTD later that night you wouldn't be asking that.
Both managers walking around the pitch hand in hand BEFORE kick off cheering to all sections of the crowd, then the most tedious 0-0 you could imagine.

No havent forgiven, but might feel its time to forget if we get pay back against Huddersfield.

Last edited:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

Quote from 'Albion The first Hundred Years' by Paul Camillin and Stewart Weir,

(Mullery) summed up most supporters' feelings when he said;
"I find it ironic that a team that has not failed to score at home, and a team that has not failed to concede a goal away from home since September, should meet in the final game and finish without scoring at all"

Of course nothing could ever be proved but it was easy to see why we, as Albion fans, and the management felt agrieved.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If you had seen the highlights on MOTD later that night you wouldn't be asking that.
Both managers walking around the pitch hand in hand BEFORE kick off cheering to all sections of the crowd, then the most tedious 0-0 you could imagine.

No havent forgiven, but might feel its time to forget if we get pay back against Huddersfield.

Lawrie McMenemy was holding hands with Keith Burkinshaw?!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
As other posters have commented, the Southampton and Spurs managers walked on to the pitch before the game holding their hands aloft and waving to the crowd. There was half an hour of highlights on the telly. There was literally barely a shot in the game. I seem to remember a Southampton player being clean through in the second half and shooting tamely at the Spurs goalkeeper, in the manner of a back pass. That was more or less the only 'chance' created. Meanwhile, down the coast we were playing our hearts out in front of 34,000. It disgusts me to this day. I will certainly never forgive or forget.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Indeed they were mate, and you have to remember in those days MOTD only showed about three games so there was plenty of coverage.

In the game, did it show Spurs hitting the woodwork in the first 10 minutes, like Jim D says? A recent post from a Southampton fan on NSC also suggests that Southampton also hit the post - an account backed up by this. Welcome - ohwhenthespurs.co.uk

Thanks for letting me know that it was on MOTD. It would be great if someone ever uncovers footage from that match.....

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Quote from 'Albion The first Hundred Years' by Paul Camillin and Stewart Weir,

(Mullery) summed up most supporters' feelings when he said;
"I find it ironic that a team that has not failed to score at home, and a team that has not failed to concede a goal away from home since September, should meet in the final game and finish without scoring at all"

Of course nothing could ever be proved but it was easy to see why we, as Albion fans, and the management felt agrieved.

Remember it so well.What disappointment,but it didn't take long for us to put things right in the next 'glory year'!!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
As other posters have commented, the Southampton and Spurs managers walked on to the pitch before the game holding their hands aloft and waving to the crowd. There was half an hour of highlights on the telly. There was literally barely a shot in the game. I seem to remember a Southampton player being clean through in the second half and shooting tamely at the Spurs goalkeeper, in the manner of a back pass. That was more or less the only 'chance' created. Meanwhile, down the coast we were playing our hearts out in front of 34,000. It disgusts me to this day. I will certainly never forgive or forget.

With you there Kevo, I was one of the 34,000 that was elated by our victory & devastated by the cheating at the Dell that was allowed to go unpunished.

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
Ok, enough evidence I think. Judge Judy finds them both guilty and sentences Saints to Adkins for another 6 months. Spurs will have to wait until the season after next...

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Never forget that day either. There with both my Dad and Dad in law. Both sadly passed away. They will never allow me to forgive that stitch up. Southampton to me have always been the enemy. Palace are just a joke.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

my guess is that either you weren't born or that you are a closet admirer of the south coast club.

Like many I will not forget nor will I forgive

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here