Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton looking in real trouble now

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Your right there. I think any of the clubs down the bottom of the Championship, bar Barnsley, will struggle to maintain their budget in League one.

Southampton away would be brilliant though.

Imagine it; last game of the season Southampton 1st, Brighton 2nd; the match kicks-off at St.Marys with Brighton needing a win to be crowned champions; its the 90th minute, 3-3, Dean Cox is wide right with the ball at his feet, he swings it in to the back post, up leaps Glenn Murray too head the ball back towards his far post, the ball agonisingly dips over the Saints keeper's head, almost in slow motion; and the away end errupts, 4,000 travelling Brighton fans going barmy.
:drool: :lolol::clap2:

:jester:

I think you CAME writing that, I know I did reading it!

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
My sphincter is TWITCHING with excitement at the prospect of Southampton being relegated.

Their run-in is excellent and I am looking forward to marvellous scenes of people CRYING on the pitch at St Marys at fulltime on the last day.

haha! your so mean, but it does sound brilliant.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I will be present the day the season ends at St Marys.

My work experience are so kind as to let me be present as Pearson is interviewed on that day also. so that might be FUN.

also thoroughly looking forward to writing the Saints relegated stories for the bulletin that evening. oh i do HOPE

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
haha! your so mean, but it does sound brilliant.

Nothing MEAN about it.

I LIVE in Southampton and the thought of seeing all my daughter's mates, not to mention a good number of my friends, WEEPING into their drinks will be the highlight of my year.

A great many Southampton fans have found it very hard to adjust to life outside the Premiership (about 10,000 of them can't even find their way to the ground every other week) so being relegated into League One will cause mass hysteria.

I can't f***ing wait.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They will lose at WBA next week, so it comes down to the last day.

Will Sheff Utd LET them win to relegate Wednesday? Or will their hero James Beattie be the one to deliver the last rites?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Back in relegation places tonight.

Play West Brom on Monday, then Sheff United at home last game of the season.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On balance, I think it is very much a case of cheering HEARTILY for Sheffield United next week them.

They could turf Palace out of the play-offs AND relegate Southampton, it really is a win-win situation.

"...like a night out in Sheffield
Like a greasy chip butty
Oh Sheffield United
Come thrill me again
United!
United!"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will Southampton go into administration at 4.30 next week like Boston did, if it looks like they are going to be relegated.. That would allow Rupert Lowe to become chairman again with the club owing no money and have had their points deducted this season.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Will Southampton go into administration at 4.30 next week like Boston did, if it looks like they are going to be relegated.. That would allow Rupert Lowe to become chairman again with the club owing no money and have had their points deducted this season.

That loop hole has been closed.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
When is the latest that they can go into administration for the points to be taken this season.

There is a date in March I think.

Not sure of the exact ruling, but you definately can't do what Leeds or Boston did anymore.

If the ten point reduction is taken after relegation it's applied the next season. It was closed after Leeds did it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think it's several games now, rather than "before the end of the last match" as the likes of Leeds and Boston cheated their way out of further deductions by waiting until their fate was already sealed before announcing the administration.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The logical date is the same day as the transfer deadline.     Before that deadline the points are taken this season after that time next season.    I suggested that on here when Leeds and Boston did it but wasn't sure that it had been implemented.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It must be an absolutely SHOCKING time to be a Southampton fan.

After years of mediocrity, the Pompey freak show and their hideous manager roll onwards towards a UEFA Cup place, not to mention a Wembley Cup Final appearance and almost certain win.

While the Saints, after decades of South Coast superiority, are having to contemplate rolling their caravans across the New Forest next season, for those big derby clashes with AFC Bournemouth.

268_nelson1.gif

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think it's several games now, rather than "before the end of the last match" as the likes of Leeds and Boston cheated their way out of further deductions by waiting until their fate was already sealed before announcing the administration.

Found it

Any club going into administration after the fourth Thursday in March will have their 10-point deduction suspended.

If the club is relegated the points will be deducted from their tally at the start of next season.

If the club stays up the 10 points will be taken off their final total.

The club would then go down if the 10-point deduction subsequently resulted in it slipping into a relegation place.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It must be an absolutely SHOCKING time to be a Southampton fan.

And a scary time to be a Leicester fan. They could win their final game (at Stoke!) and still go down to the third level for the first time ever. I shall be winding them up at work on Monday!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here