Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton/Huddersfield are the level for next season

northernblue

Nov 24, 2010
I feel as confident with Gus as would with any other manager in the championship and even half of those in the premiership! I think he is once of the best in the country and given he is backed with a healthy budget we will do very well in the championship!
As for adkins, scunthorpe have a league 2 budget yet he got them puching well above thier weight in the championship where they shouldnt be! He then has dealt with the pressure and expectation of pulling Southampton out of the s##t to almost certainly promote them too!
Both Clubs will go up and both will stay up and do well i feel!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Next season is going to be AMAZING. Look forward to battling with Saints again, Pompey, Palace, Leeds, Millwall, Forest. Just so exciting to know that we can finally compete on a level playing field with all the others again.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
there will be three worse teams than us in that league next year. but anybody who seriously thinks we will march straight into the top ten without some serious investment (particularly if murray goes - our record without him in the side bar swindon away is WOEFUL) needs their heads examined

Have to agree with that!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm sure we beat SCC 3-1 AWAY last season when they had a similar team and we had a lot weaker team...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Our defending from set pieces needs to improve big time.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Saints are not championship level! have a look at the highlights from the match, they play league 1 football and hit it long to their giant footballers. They are big and bulky and try to bully their way to victory on our day we would have gone on to win but with Chaplow staying on for his assault on Casper and Murray going off injured we were trying to hold onto a 1-0 win which is hard against a hoof ball team with 7 players over 6'2.

Watford and Portsmouth are the championship sides we have played this season and we looked comfortable against them both. I'm not expecting us to walk the league but with our current squad we should finish about 10th so with a few additions we could move up into the play-offs

Yes we play league 1 football coz thats what league were in. I was listening to the game on the radio on Saturday and couldnt believe how many chances we were getting. It was ridiculous.

You can go on about Chaplow, Hammond etc being shit but trust me, we'll invest in the summer and anyone not up to the cut will be out the door.

Obviously not getting complacement as were not yet up, but we have far more chance of doing a Norwich next season than you do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Obviously not getting complacement as were not yet up, but we have far more chance of doing a Norwich next season than you do.
How the f*** can you say that?

a) you're not even UP yet, whereas we are. Which means you might not even get the chance. Just because you say you're not being complacent, doesn't mean you're not.
b) we're a BETTER team than you, which is why we're ELEVEN points clear of you. Just because you scraped past us in your cup final which meant little to our team, doesn't change that fact.
c) We'll have money to spend, just like you. 18,400 STHs and a wealthy benefactor will see to that.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
How the f*** can you say that?

a) you're not even UP yet, whereas we are. Which means you might not even get the chance. Just because you say you're not being complacent, doesn't mean you're not.
b) we're a BETTER team than you, which is why we're ELEVEN points clear of you. Just because you scraped past us in your cup final which meant little to our team, doesn't change that fact.
c) We'll have money to spend, just like you. 18,400 STHs and a wealthy benefactor will see to that.

So how come Gus was harping on earlier this season about not being able to spend the money that we are? How come you lot keep harping on about our season being such a failure as we've spent the most money.

Didnt I offer you a wager yesterday on who would finnish the highest next season, and you declined. So if we dont go up, the bets won before the seasons even started, yet you declined.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
, but we have far more chance of doing a Norwich next season than you do.

Your record of predictions is shit though - wasn't it you who was mug enough to bet we'd get gates of an average no better than 12k next season?

I think you are getting ahead of yourself again with your prediction of being more likely to walk through the Championship than us. You forget one crucial FACT. We have a better manager and will also be getting better players...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So how come Gus was harping on earlier this season about not being able to spend the money that we are? How come you lot keep harping on about our season being such a failure as we've spent the most money.

Didnt I offer you a wager yesterday on who would finnish the highest next season, and you declined. So if we dont go up, the bets won before the seasons even started, yet you declined.
What has any of that got to do with your ridiculous assertion that you are far more likely to do a Norwich than we are, when you haven't even been promoted yet? ??? And comparing Poyet's comments regarding this season to what may happen next season is ridiculous. We didn't have the money from 18,400 season tickets this season for a start.

As for the wager you offered, well it is silly. We might yet be playing in different divisions, and I don't like to bet on the Albion as a general rule anyway. Last time I bet on Albion, I lost - and that was the bet from the season before last. Not doing it again.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So how come Gus was harping on earlier this season about not being able to spend the money that we are?

Because you have this season:
(1) Parachute payments from the Championship
(2) Nazi gold money from your Swiss benefactor
(3) A far bigger stadium

FWIW I thought Saints taught us a lesson on Saturday, and were the best team at Withdean all season. We need bigger, stronger players. I have no issues with Adkins, he is a shit-stirrer, but Gus is no angel when it comes to barbed comments either.

Frankly I find this rivalry stuff very petty, you have Pompey potentially to look forward to next season, and we have Palace. This season it has been at best a phoney war. Cortese got up EVERYONE's nose at the start of the season, and I suspect you are embarrassed by his behaviour, but I personally have no beef with Saints fans, all of whom I found to be friendly and courteous both at St Mary's and Withers.

I do however think that Harding and Hammond are a pair of cockjugglers for their behaviour towards the Albion, and hope for your sake that Lallana and Chamberlain act with a bit more class in relation to the club that developed them.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Yes we play league 1 football coz thats what league were in. I was listening to the game on the radio on Saturday and couldnt believe how many chances we were getting. It was ridiculous.

You can go on about Chaplow, Hammond etc being shit but trust me, we'll invest in the summer and anyone not up to the cut will be out the door.

Saints are not championship level! have a look at the highlights from the match, they play league 1 football and hit it long to their giant footballers. They are big and bulky and try to bully their way to victory on our day we would have gone on to win but with Chaplow staying on for his assault on Casper and Murray going off injured we were trying to hold onto a 1-0 win which is hard against a hoof ball team with 7 players over 6'2.

Watford and Portsmouth are the championship sides we have played this season and we looked comfortable against them both. I'm not expecting us to walk the league but with our current squad we should finish about 10th so with a few additions we could move up into the play-offs

Have a read through what I said:

I never said Hammond or Chaplow were shit...Chaplow should have been sent off for his assault on our keeper

I stated you play League 1 football suggesting your defenders hoof it long to the forwards which is a tactic of lower ability footballers who don't have the skill to pass it about and create opportunities. You weren't at the game but if you've seen the highlights you'll spot how both your goals came from a long ball which our defenders didn't deal with.

If Murray hadn't have got injured or we had stayed pressing higher up the pitch then it probably would have finished 1-0, but we took off a striker and sat back which in my opinion is a poor tactic to employ against a side who have lots of big strong players and defenders who will hoof it long towards them, yeah it worked on saturday but I doubt it will work very often in the championship

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011

Do think you'll go up and I do think you will do well next season.
Not sure how you can say you have far more chance of doing a Norwich than us though? On paper you should have beaten us to the title but didn't even get close.
Our chairman has said today that next season he is aiming for a top six finish, Gus will be given a good budget for the championship and we are looking for a suitable site for a £10 million academy. I don't know if you are aware but we aren't the club we were a few years ago, we have the backing to meet our ambitions unlike our recent history. We won't be punching above our weight my friend.
I like it you have a superior opinion of yourselves, it makes it all the more satisfying when we go one better. I have no idea what next season will bring but i do know that Brighton and Hove Albion will continue to build and improve.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
Im not predicting where we will finish next year because even with a few new signings you still cant tell how the team will gel together

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
there will be three worse teams than us in that league next year. but anybody who seriously thinks we will march straight into the top ten without some serious investment (particularly if murray goes - our record without him in the side bar swindon away is WOEFUL) needs their heads examined
When murray stays and scores 5 goals next season i will come back to this???
To murray is the key to everything is laughable,the man is unproven at championship level like a fair few of our players.Sadly we have to many fans with low standards in players,but i bet you gus has a much higher standard of players and he knows what we need and he will get them im sure.

Remember we are going to the championship not league 1 again:p

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

But you don't HAVE to play League One football in League One do you? We didn't, we footballed our way out of the division.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Love it, you accuse some on here of being arrogant and then come out with a statement like that before you have promotion and no idea what sort of players are coming in or out of either club. Congratulations.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
...is the key phrase.

His management record in the Championship at a 'big' club has yet to be tested, for his Championship record at a 'lesser' club is, understandably, poor.

It's how he can cope with an enormous expectation that may well be placed upon him, while coping the real possibility of losing some of his team's better players.

Moch of that could be said to apply to Gus too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here